DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The topic of Roman Reigns getting shoved down the fans' throats from the Raw thread reminded me of one of the Rock's returns.

I remember when the Rock came back from his movie hiatus before WrestleMania XIX and was being shoved down our throats and it got him turned on by the fans. But that also led to "Hollywood" Rock, which is my favorite version of his character. Probably the best Mic work I've seen ever and was great in the ring. I thoroughly enjoyed his mini-fued with the Hurricane.

I just highly doubt anyone ever promised Punk he was going to be the company ace. Anyone who was watching during his run near the top knew even when he was champ, the promotion was centered around Cena. And I recall in interviews that Punk was ok with this. He would describe himself as batman to cenas superman or savage to cena's hogan.

Punk's gripe with the booking, which i believe is legit, is why he wasn't given an opportunity to be the guy. The crowds always digged him and were into his angles. His headlining matches delivered. Sometimes it seems like WWE thinks the sky will fall if the promotion takes a chance and centers the promotion around someone other than Cena.

You look at someone like Ambrose and you see him falling into this same category. Take a chance and see what happens. Toss him in there with Lesnar and let Lesnar make him. It wont be the end of the world and maybe you'll have a new cash cow on your hands.

I probably should have said "A top guy" rather than "The top guy".

The topic of Roman Reigns getting shoved down the fans' throats from the Raw thread reminded me of one of the Rock's returns.

I remember when the Rock came back from his movie hiatus before WrestleMania XIX and was being shoved down our throats and it got him turned on by the fans. But that also led to "Hollywood" Rock, which is my favorite version of his character. Probably the best Mic work I've seen ever and was great in the ring. I thoroughly enjoyed his mini-fued with the Hurricane.

Rock kinda has a history of that.

How many times does it have to be said that the reason Punk was never THE guy or in that realm because he is a fucking unlikeable, cynical asshole. He was never going to grow his fan base because if you didn't like what he did, you thought he was an asshole.

Fucking wrestling bubble. Cant see the obvious.

• Like 2

How many times does it have to be said that the reason Punk was never THE guy or in that realm because he is a fucking unlikeable, cynical asshole. He was never going to grow his fan base because if you didn't like what he did, you thought he was an asshole.

"he is a fucking unlikeable, cynical asshole"

The irony is delicious.

• Like 17

It's also pretty obvious Punk simply did not have a look they wanted as a face of the company. Forget that he would never be the guy; they didn't want him representing the company anywhere, even as a third or fourth guy.  The Wizard World thing, the Ink Master thing, the movie thing, the video game cover thing...every time Punk was set to represent the company, they tried to plug in someone different.  Every single time.  From the company's perspective, he was "skinny fat," smaller than Vince's superman ideal, greasy and grimy looking, not very pretty, all tatted up and just not what a sports entertainer is supposed to look like.  He was not, nor ever would be, the guy they wanted representing them.  You think Nash was the only one who said he looked like the cook at Waffle House? 

In WWE's eyes, Punk was always going to be a cult hero there to placate one small portion of the audience.  He was a fool, and just as delusional as every other wrestler, to think things would ever be otherwise.

Punk thinking that WM main event was just around the corner was no less foolish than Dennis Stamp on his trampoline anticipating that next big booking.

• Like 1

Among the tastemakers outside the wrestling bubble nobody gets as much press as Punk. It's not even close.

Punk gets talked about in the cool sports press. Punk gets talked about in cool music press. Punk gets talked about in cool comic press. Punk gets talked about in cool nerd circuits.

The WWE can't buy that kind of press.  

If you have someone who can reach those niches, the world is your oyster.  

And above all of that, he actually appealed to casual adult fans who stopped watching. You know, the kind of people who might actually have the money to spend on a product you're endlessly talking about. 

• Like 8

From the latest WON:

The 17-year tradition of pro wrestling at the former NWA Wildside Arena in Cornelia, GA, is in jeopardy. Anarchy Wrestling owner Franklin Dove said he was moving to Orlando and unless somebody buys the promotion from him, the final show will be 12/27.

It can't be that expensive can it? Can we crowd source it and hire BEN! as the booker?

• Like 1

The irony is delicious.

Yes it is...

The irony is delicious.

Yes it is...

I'm not bitching about RIPPA giving a push or some stupid shit.

I don't get why some people don't understand that many successful people are unhappy with the success they have and always want more. It's easy for us to say 'Punk was treated better than Zack Ryder so he should be satisfied' but I would bet that Punk is a pretty ambitious guy who is always setting higher goals for himself in everything, not just wrestling. Does he have a bit of a persecution complex? Sure. But just because he sees slights were there might not be doesn't mean he should just rest on his laurels and settle for what he thinks is a waste of his effort and talent. Those perceived slights are probably a major part of how he motivates himself to do anything.

• Like 1

Among the tastemakers outside the wrestling bubble nobody gets as much press as Punk. It's not even close.

Punk gets talked about in the cool sports press. Punk gets talked about in cool music press. Punk gets talked about in cool comic press. Punk gets talked about in cool nerd circuits.

And above all of that, he actually appealed to casual adult fans who stopped watching. You know, the kind of people who might actually have the money to spend on a product you're endlessly talking about. 

That may also be the problem- For everything that HHH gets, the one difference is that he seems to get that pro wrestling is now officially "the geeks' sport" and is trying to adjust WWE as a whole to reflect that going forward, WWE is at its peak as one of many parts of geek culture.

Vince McMahon, on the other hand- is an alpha male, and wants the WWE to appeal to other alpha males- so wrestlers who appeal to geeks and different subsets of it- which can make the casual adult fans get interested, will never succeed as well as someone who can presumably get those alpha males Vince WANTS to like the show back into the fold.

I am suffering through GWF on ESPN Classics, and boy, they were unafraid to be completely racist to a Mexican dude. 

Earlier, the Mexican in Question was talking about how nice it is to have a house, and the color commentator mentioned how dude used to have six people in a one-bedroom apartment.

Now the heels are foreclosing on him somehow - didn't know General Skandor Akbar gave out house loans. Maybe he was the money behind Countrywide.

Great stuff.

That may also be the problem- For everything that HHH gets, the one difference is that he seems to get that pro wrestling is now officially "the geeks' sport" and is trying to adjust WWE as a whole to reflect that going forward, WWE is at its peak as one of many parts of geek culture.

Vince McMahon, on the other hand- is an alpha male, and wants the WWE to appeal to other alpha males- so wrestlers who appeal to geeks and different subsets of it- which can make the casual adult fans get interested, will never succeed as well as someone who can presumably get those alpha males Vince WANTS to like the show back into the fold.

I've been saying this for some time and could not agree more. That WWE is blowing this opening to feed of of geek culture - and the money and tech savvy that's there - is absurd.

The sort of irony being that Punk is running off to the UFC, where most of the WWE's meathead crowd ran off to.

• Like 2

I'd say Daniel Bryan does as well maybe not on the same level but he was second to Punk in those regards,

I've been saying this for some time and could not agree more. That WWE is blowing this opening to feed of of geek culture - and the money and tech savvy that's there - is absurd.

The sort of irony being that Punk is running off to the UFC, where most of the WWE's meathead crowd ran off to.

I wanted to disagree with SorceressKnight's theory at first, but upon further reflection it seems truer and truer. Is HHH that carny/mercenary/realpolitik/capitalist/realistic/pragmatic that he can overcome his own jock roots and consciously steer WWE towards this demographic?

hhmmmm,

RAF

tumblr_lsar3lx1n41qdf6w8o1_500.gif

• Like 1

From the latest WON:

The 17-year tradition of pro wrestling at the former NWA Wildside Arena in Cornelia, GA, is in jeopardy. Anarchy Wrestling owner Franklin Dove said he was moving to Orlando and unless somebody buys the promotion from him, the final show will be 12/27.

It can't be that expensive can it? Can we crowd source it and hire BEN! as the booker?

If Ben was the booker, they'd be out of business by 12/29.

• Like 2

Now the heels are foreclosing on him somehow - didn't know General Skandor Akbar gave out house loans. Maybe he was the money behind Countrywide.

just wait until Akbar gives Brandon Baxter money to buy his first car, only to ruin Brandon Baxter's credit forever.

Also, I like that the Transmission place thought nothing of having their endorser beat up someone for not going to their place sooner.