DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So flipping through that one book I have about 'Stampede Wrestling' and they talk about how after Abdullah the Butcher left, they brought in Curtis Iaukea and Mark Lewin to drum up interest  but it was the same pattern as everywhere else.  They would come in, have vicious, bloody battles, which would bring in the audiences, but then the gore would get so over the top that fans would stop coming and the territory would be worse off than before they arrived, a "scorched earth" as they say.  So, my question is, were these matches as violent as the book and Meltzer (also in the book) say?  I know they make reference to Iaukea telling Lewing that he would "rip his entrails out" and this being too much for Stampede audiences.  So was it a case of them being violent for the time (but rather tame compared to later years) or were they just horribly awful, bloody affairs?

Question about CM Punk's contract: He said he completed all of his obligated dates and still had six months left on his contract. How often does that happen? Was he just working a lot or is that more the norm than it seems?

It's been quoted as the reason for Sting's Yearlong not wrestling vs the NWO

There's a lot of guys I'd like to see Rey go against... Rollins, Rusev, and Harper spring immediately to mind.

He might not be 10% of what he was, but if anybody can take 10% and build a good match around it, Rey might be one of the few.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm with that. Rey's more than just bouncing off the ropes and flying around. I like watching mid 00s Rey more than mid 90s Rey, for instance and he could DO way more stuff back in the mid 90s. He can take a beating, garner a lot of sympathy, pepper in some great hope spots and make a hot tag as well as just about anyone on the roster, I bet. 

I'd happily watch something like 30 match Rey/Rowan (or Titus) vs Gold/Stardust series. 

I watched the new Iron Sheik documentary on Itunes and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was.   I was expecting it to be one of those RF video/Eric Simms train wrecks and it may have been at the end depending on opinion.   There was plenty of talk about himself as a kid in Iran working as security for the Shah and why he went to the US.   In terms of wrestling there is some footage from AWA, Mid South, PR, and some crappy indies.   They showed clips of a Iron Shiek vs Bruiser Brody match and would love to know where that is from.    They really put over how vital Sheik was in Hulkamania for willing to put over Hogan and lose the title.  They talked about the 1987 arrest in Jersey when he and Duggan was in the car.   They really tried to make it seem like his career was basically over when he got caught with the drugs and a babyface in the car which just isn't true at all.  

The ending of the movie was kind of sad because they showed the spiral of his life after his daughter was murdered.  Even showed him going to a bad neighborhood and buying drugs.   Then they show his rebuild into celebrity for being the "fuck you in the ass make him humble" guy.  Not sure if the guy who is with is any better than the leeches before but it seems he is off the hard stuff.  

Lots of Dwayne Johnson in the documentary which is kind of surprising.  I guess he and Iron Sheik know each other really well.   Even admitted that "jabroni" was a complete rip off of Sheik.

Going to chikara tomorrow night. Anyone else heading to philadelphia? Will be my wife's first non-WWE PPV card. Expect her to be thoroughly confused and my explanation regarding the Ants and the Eye of Tyr to make me question my fandom again.

• Like 1

Stumbled onto this article the other day, and it's..man. It breaks my heart a little bit, what he's going through.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2267803-from-wrestling-legend-to-double-amputee-kamala-keeps-fighting

A little bit...man.  I'm kind of floored.  Very manipulative, but also very effective to show smug, comfortable Foley giving the "Hey, fame is fleeting!  It's a rough and tumble business...have you got a copy of my book yet!" speech against Kamala breaking down "I'm not normal anymore..."

Former WWE Superstar The Great Khali emerged from self-imposed exile this week to break his silence on Colt Cabana’s “Art of Wrestling” podcast about why he grraag nwarhh smuh, and related topics.

“Prawugh fushna guh,” the seven-foot colossus explained, contrary to speculation that has been rampant on the internet since his abrupt WWE departure.

“Graugh,” he added.

In a brutally honest, hour-long conversation with Cabana, Khali revealed his frustration with the amount of frugnusht and grrrrrrrraul in World Wrestling Entertainment, and even called Vince McMahon a “gugglar rauwaghhhh.”

Until his appearance on the Art of Wrestling, Khali had stayed out of the spotlight — a hiatus euphemistically described by WWE as a “sabbatical” — but felt he could clear the air with Cabana, since the duo paid their dues on the independent wrestling circuits in the American northeast and the Punjab region of India.

Khali unequivocally stated that he will he will “nuggahhh eggahh” return to WWE, which Cabana (who is fluent in Punjabi, albeit with a strong Illinois accent) translated as “never ever.”

The Punjabi Giant has reportedly been in talks with Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling, where he will likely join the X-Division under the moniker The Tremendous Golly.

Asked by Cabana whether he feels any bitterness toward WWE, Khali simply replied: “Grugshuggul.”

• Like 6

Everyone talks shit about Khali but he got over doing one move, made a shit ton of money and doesn't have functioning knees anymore.

Very successful PRO wrestler.

Plus at one point he was at least good enough to be carried by Cena, so that's something.

Everyone talks shit about Khali but he got over doing one move, made a shit ton of money and doesn't have functioning knees anymore.

Very successful PRO wrestler.

Plus at one point he was at least good enough to be carried by Cena, so that's something.

That's actually the match I always point to for people who want to bash Cena as a worker to make them look dumb.

• Like 2