DVDVR Message Board

UFC 181: Hendricks vs. Lawler II (12/6/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I like how basically no one has talked about possible KO and submission of the year candidates. Eddie Gordon and Ashlee Evans-Smith both got sent to beddy bye land.

Yeah I finished watching the prelims both of the other fighters should have gotten knockout and submission of the night. The Bulldog choke by Raquel was just straight up nasty.

Lawler has had a pretty amazing career rebirth.  It's pretty rare to see a guy go on a similar career path as him, not to mention fighting in the UFC, leaving the UFC, fighting in several other organizations, coming back and winning the UFC title.

I mean Werdum only won the "interim."  I guess BJ Penn counts too.  However, he won the welterweight title before he left.  

Mike Bohn ‏@MikeBohnMMA 2m2 minutes ago

Dana White tells @ArielHelwani on FS1 that Rory MacDonald's title shot isn't for sure, say Hendricks-Lawler 3 "wouldn't be a bad idea"

Like I said, lock the door and hide your women Lawler and Hendricks.  The Canadian Psycho is not going to be happy.

Not even Robbie's corner thought he was winning the fight as they were pressuring him during the last 2 rounds to finish the fight if he wanted to win it.

Even if you are ahead, your corner should be urging you to finish a fight.

Not even Robbie's corner thought he was winning the fight as they were pressuring him during the last 2 rounds to finish the fight if he wanted to win it.

Corners hardly urge you to finish a fight if they feel you're up on the scorecards.

Corners hardly urge you to finish a fight if they feel you're up on the scorecards.

They always urge you to finish.  They just advise not to force a finish if it isn't there.

No corner should be telling their fighter to coast and leave the decision in the hands of the panel, especially if you're fighting in Vegas or if you are an American fighter taking on a Brazillian in Rio.

After the 4th round both corners told their fighters that if they want to win the fight they better take the 5th round.

I had it as round 5 definitely for Lawler, rounds 2 and 3 definitely for Hendricks, round 1 closer but for Lawler and round 4 closest but probably just for Hendricks.  Ending a round blindly holding onto a leg while a guy unloads (mostly missing) shots on you is a bad look and Hendricks was dumb for doing it.  I have no idea if he was gassed or was just trying to stall out the remainder of the fight from some point in the 4th onwards but that's why he lost a fight he was comfortably winning up until then.