DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Sandman was awful he's gotten better not by much but he has and for a wild fun brawl he's your guy. Also he has no delusions about his skill level he knows he's not very good and he let the other more skilled guys call the matches and was game. Shit his stuff with Mick Foley and Raven is some great shit cuz he was game for whatever they came up with. I get he's untrained and sloppy I understand why people don't like him but shit wrestling needs the tough guy looking for a fight and thats Sandman in a nutshell. 

Maybe the milk was to soak up some of the booze. Counterproductive, but possibly helpful. And I was talking about the House Party match I've never seen the NTR one.

so what's the funniest thing you think you've heard Japanese commentators say when watching puro?

I remember watching one of the big NOAH matches a few years ago, it went into the finish with lots of big moves and nearfalls and I swear the commentator shouted "AUDI! AUDI! SAUSAAAAAAAGE!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk21JebXL6M

• Like 1

I watched Sandman vs Sabu from some November to Remember last night.  Was Sandman an actual trained professional wrestler?  Because sometimes I have my doubts.  Everything he did looked clumsy and awkward as fuck.  Maybe he was just legit drunk for every match?  All I can tell you is he bumps, moves, and misses the mark with everything he does like a guy who has never actually been trained.

This started off as a purely rhetorical question asked facetiously.  Then I checked his Wiipedia entry and the first mention of pro wrestling is that he debuted in Tri State Wrestling.  No mention at all of training.  Maybe I'm on to something here.

Yeah, he was trained.  Not that the people involved in training him should be proud or anything, but..... Sandman got his start in the short-lived Tri-State Wrestling Alliance.  Tri-State was run by a guy named Joel Goodhart, who was basically a superfan who organized bus tours to NWA shows (that's how I met him).  Goodhart eventually opened a wrestling school called Ringmasters in Philadephia,  Not long after that, he started promoting shows under the Tri-State Wrestling name and the wrestling school was renamed Tri-State Wrestling Academy,

Anyway, Sandman trained there, as did several other future ECW guys.  Head trainer when Sandy was there was Larry Winters.  JT Smith and one or two other guys also supposedly helped train Sandman.

I remember Tri State.  They were pretty much the pre-ECW ECW, with Eddie Gilbert and Cactus Jack, right?

When I was a dumb kid, I'd make quick chocolate milk by taking a sip of milk, holding it in my mouth, then pouring in some Hershey's and swishing it around.  I imagine Sandman was doing the same and making some ghetto-ass White Russians and just didn't have Kahlua on hand.

• Like 2

Tri-State was before even the Eastern Championship Wrestling run by Eddie and Tod Gordon. Tod was a backer in Tri-State but Goodhart booked so much big talent, like Abdullah and the Sheik and Terry Funk, etc. that the company burned out of funds fast, then Tod took over, brought in Eddie, and the rest is history.

EDIT: I still laugh at this photo so hard. 

14.jpg

• Like 1

I imagine Sandman getting real fucked up and listening to the black album for the first time, and the proverbial lightbulb going off.

This doesn't answer the macho question, but didn't Savage do a "shoot style" interview for WCW towards the end of WCW as well?

I would LOVE some non-kayfabe Savage stuff from Savage. RIP!

There was some footage of him out of character for some special that aired on the E! network. Not sure what year, but I'm going to say 1997 as I distinctly remember him being in the black and white MADNESS gear.

Oh god, TWA with DC Drake. From Pennsylvania so I saw him a few times. Just horrible.

I've been watching ECW on the network and still find the Sandman fun. Maybe because 95/96 was so great there and stacked with talent, but I enjoy his garbage matches, alliance with Woman, the blind angle, and his son Tyler being brainwashed by Raven.

ECW on the network has been my go-to for a while now.  It's not great but it's easy to digest when I just want to watch some short, simple stuff.  You don't always feel like Flair/Steamboat.  And at that moment, it's time to watch Sullivan and Tazmaniac fuck up some jobbers or Sandman and Sabu have a psychology-free match where they lazily walk around and beat each other with plunder.

I love Sandman's fat lazy guy one hand on the rope plancha.  Best part of the match I watched was seeing him waddle across the ring with a ladder in hand, vault (haha not exactly) the top rope and lob the ladder onto Sabu in midair.  Fucking hilarious. 

I love the Mikey Whipwreck ladder match where he goes to slingshot legdrop from the outside in on Mikey, loses his grip on the rope with one hand and almost busts his ass, then immediately looks straight at the crowd/towards the camera laughing his ass off before completing the move.

• Like 2

I imagine Sandman getting real fucked up and listening to the black album for the first time, and the proverbial lightbulb going off.

This doesn't answer the macho question, but didn't Savage do a "shoot style" interview for WCW towards the end of WCW as well?

I would LOVE some non-kayfabe Savage stuff from Savage. RIP!

There was some footage of him out of character for some special that aired on the E! network. Not sure what year, but I'm going to say 1997 as I distinctly remember him being in the black and white MADNESS gear.

He didn't need the RF/KM/Highspots money, period.

I remember he was in one of the behind-the-scenes pro wrestling shows on a basic cable channel that had him saying "I found it's better to live alone. I try to have other people living with me, but they find their way out." That was the only clip of him as I recall and it was in the Madness gear. I think it was The Extraordinary World of Professional Wrestling?

EDIT: Make that The Secret World of Professional Wrestling. It was an A&E show I think, The Secret World of... (insert topic)

EDIT 2: Well I'll be damned. Here's a beat-up 35 minutes of it (from TLC, before they went the way they did). The Savage part should be in there. 

I remeber TLC did a program in like 2001 that featured Chridtopher Daniels and it showed footage of him getting hurt on Nitro and a match he had with I wanna say Rob Black tho it could be wrong about that. He wrestled a promoter of a Cali wrestling promotion and said something like "who doesnt wanna fight there boss".

I remeber TLC did a program in like 2001 that featured Chridtopher Daniels and it showed footage of him getting hurt on Nitro and a match he had with I wanna say Rob Black tho it could be wrong about that. He wrestled a promoter of a Cali wrestling promotion and said something like "who doesnt wanna fight there boss".

Roland Alexander, maybe?

Hell, the highlight of my indy wrestling weekend was a pretty standard-issue evil-foreigner angle at SICW.  Mohamad Ali Vaez(OVW regular) attacked military alumnus Gary Jackson after a post-Veterans' Day tribute ceremony.  Chair beatdown, camel clutch, then walked off with his camouflage jacket.  Old guys were getting up out of their chairs to get in his face and yell at him.  Nuclear heat.

Oh man that sounds so awesome. It's a shame the WWE has no Cpl. Kirschner's or Sgt. Slaughter's for Rusev to beat up on and do something like that to them.

To the Sandman's credit, at some point during his WCW run, he got into better shape and became a decent hand, to the point where he gave some legitimately good performances in his second ECW run.

Oh yeah when he did the surprise return to ECW after his stint in WCW and he was standing on top of the otherside of the ECW arena, he was in amazing shape. I still remember watching that on Sunshine Network or MSG at almost 3 in the morning and being like "Holy Shit Sandman's back and he's jacked". I miss The Sandman on television. Come on WWE make Sandman the RAW GM. Sandman drunken booking RAW matches would be amazing.