DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I liked the CM Punk ep, but almost felt bad for Colt on there.  He came off as the gentle yet dumb meathead that he really is but that he tries to hide with hip snark on his own show.  And there were points where Maron was all but saying, "Dude, you're no more a comedian than I am a wrestler."  It was entertaining, though, in a "worlds collide" kind of way.

Maron was actually discussing Foley with Bob Mould several weeks back and mentioned that they knew each other, so the podcast should be good.

• Like 2

I'm starting to get podcast worn out with wrestlers like Foley. I can't imagine he is going to tell any stories we haven't heard.
Meron really goes at his interviews with wrestlers from a different angle, but the same stories come out.

I really enjoy WTF but this will probably be skipable. Unless he talks about his creepy creepy obsession with women half his age.

*I don't remember that exchange with Colt, but I do recall him being fairly complimentary of his work ethic.

Punk put himself over and it was almost a copy of his DVD.

Hell, the highlight of my indy wrestling weekend was a pretty standard-issue evil-foreigner angle at SICW.  Mohamad Ali Vaez(OVW regular) attacked military alumnus Gary Jackson after a post-Veterans' Day tribute ceremony.  Chair beatdown, camel clutch, then walked off with his camouflage jacket.  Old guys were getting up out of their chairs to get in his face and yell at him.  Nuclear heat.

• Like 2

so what's the funniest thing you think you've heard Japanese commentators say when watching puro?

I remember watching one of the big NOAH matches a few years ago, it went into the finish with lots of big moves and nearfalls and I swear the commentator shouted "AUDI! AUDI! SAUSAAAAAAAGE!"

• Like 2

so what's the funniest thing you think you've heard Japanese commentators say when watching puro?

I remember watching one of the big NOAH matches a few years ago, it went into the finish with lots of big moves and nearfalls and I swear the commentator shouted "AUDI! AUDI! SAUSAAAAAAAGE!"

To be fair to Ozaki, that's my usual reaction to any Young Buck's match.

• Like 3

Part of me still wishes that kayfabe were still a thing and WWE just printed fake "international" results on WWE.com to show that Lesnar is diligently defending the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against foes all over the world. A kayfabe story of Brock Lesnar defending the championship against the toughest foes in the jungles of South America is begging to be written. 

I'd love to read about Brock facing off with Great Power Uti down in the African brush.

I don't know when it will happen but Punk will probably be back and no one at the WWE will mind when all of his T-Shirts sell out and he makes people some cash.

That being said, i'm going to pick up his Thor Annual. I don't follow Thor but i'm somewhat familiar with his character and i'm interested to see "super fan" Punk write some books.

I hope it says CM Punk as Writer and not Phil Brooks.

Jesse Ventura got to be a fucking Governor under his wrestling name, not his real name. So I don't see why not?

But Rick Steiner couldn't even make a school board under his wrestling name.

Part of me still wishes that kayfabe were still a thing and WWE just printed fake "international" results on WWE.com to show that Lesnar is diligently defending the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against foes all over the world. A kayfabe story of Brock Lesnar defending the championship against the toughest foes in the jungles of South America is begging to be written. 

I'd love to read about Brock facing off with Great Power Uti down in the African brush.

He's defending the title in the notorious tournaments of Rio De Janeiro.

He's defending the title in the notorious tournaments of Rio De Janeiro.

"He was behind 15 men but he still came out on top"

• Like 2

Have only seen Ricochet live a handful of times.  He did a show in Salem, IL in September 2009...he actually wrestled both as himself and his masked CHIKARA alter-ego Helios.  Also saw him at an LWA show in March 2010 against Gary The Barn Owl.

I watched the Macho Man DVD preview on the Network and I'm wondering where that interview footage with Savage in 1993 came from? It looks like a shoot style, non-kayfabe interview with him out of character (yet still in his colorful Macho attire). I've never seen nor heard of this interview before. Was it a part of a Coliseum Video release or something like that? Or just something they happened to do with him on a potential project they never released? Any ideas?

I watched Sandman vs Sabu from some November to Remember last night.  Was Sandman an actual trained professional wrestler?  Because sometimes I have my doubts.  Everything he did looked clumsy and awkward as fuck.  Maybe he was just legit drunk for every match?  All I can tell you is he bumps, moves, and misses the mark with everything he does like a guy who has never actually been trained.

This started off as a purely rhetorical question asked facetiously.  Then I checked his Wiipedia entry and the first mention of pro wrestling is that he debuted in Tri State Wrestling.  No mention at all of training.  Maybe I'm on to something here.

I'd say it was most likely he was hammered for almost every match. And in that match with Sabu from NTR he was on acid and thought Sabu was Godzilla out there. And I remember hearing Sandman say in an interview that he would drink as close to a case of beer as he could backstage before his matches in ECW.

James Mitchell said that in ECW Sandman would have a bottle of vodka in one hand, a bottle of milk in the other, and a case of beer going the whole time. 

Thinking Sabu was Godzilla, holy shit that's funny. I've said this many a time but I really love that match. Such a bloody clusterfuck that seemed to legit disturb the mutants. 

Sandman was awful he's gotten better not by much but he has and for a wild fun brawl he's your guy. Also he has no delusions about his skill level he knows he's not very good and he let the other more skilled guys call the matches and was game. Shit his stuff with Mick Foley and Raven is some great shit cuz he was game for whatever they came up with. I get he's untrained and sloppy I understand why people don't like him but shit wrestling needs the tough guy looking for a fight and thats Sandman in a nutshell. 

Maybe the milk was to soak up some of the booze. Counterproductive, but possibly helpful. And I was talking about the House Party match I've never seen the NTR one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk21JebXL6M

• Like 1