DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

Yesterday Kathy and I celebrated 32 years of marriage. Plan is to renew our vows in Vegas with an Elvis impersonator for year 35. (We were going to do it for #30, but that was the summer I just about kicked the bucket, so it didn't happen.) I figure if she's put up with my nonsense for this long, we're good for at least another three years. ;-)

• Like 12

75 years or bust! That's the Golden Elvis Impersonator Anniversary, by then you can probably find a robotic one made of solid gold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you may be aware of my employment struggles.  After 10 1/2 months of unemployment and 18 in-person interviews, I just got a call telling me I'm hired for a 9 month contract position.  Still negotiating on salary and vacation time, but my start date will be August 22nd.

Of course I would prefer a full-time job, but it's something to add to my resume, and when this 9 months starts running down at least I'll be able to say I have a job when I start job hunting again.

• Like 6

Doc gave me the all clear today. Figures I passed a stone without even realizing. Thought as much, but hearing it from him sure set my mind at ease. 

Decided that I was drinking far too much soda as well. Cut that back immensely over the past week and upped my water intake, oh...1000% or so. Curious to see how much, if any, weight I drop now that I'm taking in so much less sugar. 

Health issues suck, but I guess they can also be the boot in the ass you need.

• Like 1

I am home after three days in the hospital... What I thought was the onset of a summer cold turned out to be walking pneumonia and it was clearly evident that it was worse than a cold when I could barely breathe Sunday afternoon. It was bad enough that I opted for an ambulance so that I could get some breathing medication right away as I'm still not sure I would have made it to the hospital in the car.

Anyway, all the gunk is cleared out and I'm A-OK now... Apparently I'm very high risk for this occuring, (no one ever thought to tell me that), so it's just one of those things to watch for... COPD, the gift that just keeps on giving... ;-(

• Like 4

Glad to hear you're feeling better, John.

After nearly 13 years, I got unceremoniously dumped by my old job.  They claim it was job performance issues, but I think budget cuts played a part, as they already decided to not fill another position after someone resigned.  I also think a bad review I gave one of my supervisors ultimately got used against me.  I didn't lie nor was I unprofessional, but you know how that goes.  They can dish it with telling you how bad you are at your job, but Heaven forbid you call them on their shortcomings.

Losing a job isn't ever cool, but I wasn't torn up about it.  The emotional toll was getting too high, but I was too stubborn to leave on my own.

I've been searching for a new job for several weeks, and signed up with a temp agency to see what would come along.  Yesterday, the agency called to see if I wanted my resume sent to a potential employer.  30 minutes later, a second call told me to come by this morning to complete tax forms and payment options.  So today, I worked as a receptionist and really enjoyed the experience.

I have no idea where this will lead, as the lady in the position is ill and no one seems to know when she'll come back.  Could be a few days, could be a few weeks. And getting a job because of someone's illness isn't ideal.  In any case, I hope I impress enough to get a full-time spot there.  I think I would fit in well with more training.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Glad to hear you're feeling better, John.

After nearly 13 years, I got unceremoniously dumped by my old job.  They claim it was job performance issues, but I think budget cuts played a part, as they already decided to not fill another position after someone resigned.  I also think a bad review I gave one of my supervisors ultimately got used against me.  I didn't lie nor was I unprofessional, but you know how that goes.  They can dish it with telling you how bad you are at your job, but Heaven forbid you call them on their shortcomings.

Losing a job isn't ever cool, but I wasn't torn up about it.  The emotional toll was getting too high, but I was too stubborn to leave on my own.

I've been searching for a new job for several weeks, and signed up with a temp agency to see what would come along.  Yesterday, the agency called to see if I wanted my resume sent to a potential employer.  30 minutes later, a second call told me to come by this morning to complete tax forms and payment options.  So today, I worked as a receptionist and really enjoyed the experience.

I have no idea where this will lead, as the lady in the position is ill and no one seems to know when she'll come back.  Could be a few days, could be a few weeks. And getting a job because of someone's illness isn't ideal.  In any case, I hope I impress enough to get a full-time spot there.  I think I would fit in well with more training.

Thankee! Glad to hear you landed on your feet. You may not realize it, but I don't think you've said anything positive about your old job in the last three-four years... I'd consider being out of there a blessing, life's too damn short to toil away at something that you don't enjoy.

I don't know where to post this, but this tickled me pink so I might as well put it here.

However, in 1904-5 a surprising naïveté pervaded both the Russian and Japanese sides as to the use, effect and capabilities of submarines. Instructions given to Lieutenant Steer of the Novik read as follows: 'Seize the submarine by its periscope then smash it by blows with a mallet, so as to blind its crew. Better still, wrap a flag or a piece of canvas around it; or lastly - and this is probably the best way of all - tow the said submarine by its periscope into the inner harbour.'

Crossposting from Facebook:

Those that have encountered me over the years have heard me joke that I've had ADD since before the term existed - it's something that's affected me my entire life. The symptoms were manageable but have gradually worsened over the years, to the point it's affected my professional and personal lives. Being easily distracted is a huge impediment I don't think many people are aware of.

This past week, with my wife's support, I began treatment for ADD on a low prescription of Adderall, and the difference has been night and day. This has been the most productive week I've had in many months, if not years, and the benefits have far outweighed any minor side effects. This is the best I've felt mentally in years.

There's a negative stigma against getting help, and there shouldn't be. Treatments exist for a reason and there's no shame in them.

I was immediately suspended from Project 42 for 30 days for violating the Project 42 Wellness Policy.  Good thing there's no show till December. :)

• Like 4

This is a combination of all three (sunuva, stuff and Really swell news) Since the most recent is Really Swell, I think it goes here..

The last 18 months have not been good to me. First, I had a major depression attack that ended up with me in the hospital (I made the decision to go, not because of something that happened, but what I feared MIGHT happen).. this ended up with me spending a few days in the hospital a few days, and "the ward" for a week after. Then I finally get a diagnosis for the shit that's put me out of work for almost two years now, Crohn's disease, sacrolilitis and Rhumatoid Arthritis.

And then the topper, after an 18 year battle with cancer, my mother passed away in December. Right before Xmas. (She fell ill right after thanksgiving).

So, it's been a slow fucking slog getting off the mat, but things are looking up a bit.

I am about to sell my first work (a RPG supplement, for, no shit, a RPG called: Fight! The Fighting Game RPG). We're about to start a new drug that will hopefully help with the crohn's disease and all the knock on effects. And this week saw me turn 42. It wasn't all beer and roses, as I was determined to just let my birthday be "just another day".. but thanks to a couple cousins putting shit together on less then 10 days notice, had a huge birthday party for me, and the number of friends and family there was great.

So, in short. Foz trending upward. ;)

Now if I can just get back to writing that novel.. ;)

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

I signed a contract with a university press this weekend, which means, barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll have a research monograph out one of these days.

Not exciting like publishing a novel, but maybe it will land me some job security and a living wage.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2016 at 5:32 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

My awesome boss is treating my wife and I to free tickets to the Guns n Roses concert at CenturyLink Field on Friday.  Just found out Alice in Chains is opening as well, which is going to be Off Da Hook (TM).

I wish that I too had a boss with a time machine.

• Like 2

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals just granted relief on a Writ of Habeas Corpus I filed.  In other words, a felony conviction is coming off the books for my client. It's a published opinion, meaning that it's now precedent. 

It's a big deal.  I can't believe it. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals just granted relief on a Writ of Habeas Corpus I filed.  In other words, a felony conviction is coming off the books for my client. It's a published opinion, meaning that it's now precedent. 

It's a big deal.  I can't believe it. 

Next stop:

8742_7029a4a8.jpg

• Like 3

I may need you to do some Pro Bono work in awhile... No, not for free, you'll be defending Bono against charges brought by piranesi that's not he's really Irish and thus should be stripped of the formal title of Bono. Also, Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves will be there for some reason.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2016 at 3:55 AM, Ryan said:

I may need you to do some Pro Bono work in awhile... No, not for free, you'll be defending Bono against charges brought by piranesi that's not he's really Irish and thus should be stripped of the formal title of Bono. Also, Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves will be there for some reason.

bs2.gif

• Like 4

What's hilarious is that everything in My Cousin Vinny is true to the law.  It's the most realistic court movie, like, ever.  Almost every other court scene in any movie is more or less complete and total bullshit.  My Cousin Vinny is legit.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2016 at 1:50 PM, Lawful Metal said:

What's hilarious is that everything in My Cousin Vinny is true to the law.  It's the most realistic court movie, like, ever.  Almost every other court scene in any movie is more or less complete and total bullshit.  My Cousin Vinny is legit.

I saw an article about that once. That a lot of law professors show the film even.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:50 PM, Lawful Metal said:

I can only think of one courtroom scene that doesn't seem to be on the level. The scene where the prosecution calls up the FBI forensic analyst, and Vinny objects that the defense hadn't been given any notice, and wasn't able to properly prepare cross, but the judge shot him down.