DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

5 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Congrats, man!  And remember, it's never too early to teach her how to work.  Bumping in the cradle, I say.

Kayfabe until she's 3-4... Knowing it's a work from jump street is how she'll wind up throwing Cena punches.

• Like 1

Our City council was considering putting a cellphone tower in the Alameda park, which is probably the nicest park in town. The "Save our parks" signs have been up for months and tonight was the hearing. The City council killed it tonight, after some 900 signatures on a petition and a full house at the hearing. Up till the last moment I actually thought they might pass it, as I tend to be a pessimist, but they didn't. I gave a comment to the Council and was interviewed for the local news, so happy day. . . .

• Like 1

I thought this was awesome but I wasn't sure where to tell the story.

So I got an Oculus Rift, yay, but it turned out current my graphics card, while awesome, wasn't able to handle it for some reason. So I cry a bit and buy a $375 graphics card on Amazon and it works like a charm. I decide I don't need my old graphics card so I look up the value online... and turns out, it is some hard to find card from three years ago that is popular because of its overclocking ability. Or something. Anyway, I post my three year old used graphics card on Ebay and sell it for.... $450. So I basically made a profit while getting a brand new, more powerful and quieter graphics card.

For techies, my new graphics card is a MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 980 4GB, old card was an AMD Radeon HD 7990.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I took three different "History of the British Isles" courses in college and all three were taught by this Welsh professor who was just fanatically committed to the idea of Welsh independence in her lifetime.  She didn't care about the economic or geopolitical realities of Wales becoming a seperate country again, she just wanted "the Red Dragon to fly proudly over Cardiff once again" as she put it.

I haven't talked to her in about fifteen years, but she's still teaching and when I e-mailed her, she was just delirious with joy over the possiblity of a break-up of the UK and total devolution.

So...that's really swell news for her, I guess.

She's retarded, Wales isn't economically viable RIGHT NOW WITHOUT EU FUNDING, never mind as an independent nation at some point in the future. The reason England conquered it in the first place is because the vast majority of it's landmass is incapable of growing enough food to feed it's entire population IN THE 14TH CENTURY.

Also, the Red Dragon didn't become the official Welsh flag until 1959, whilst the last Welsh rebellion against the English crown was suppressed in 1415. So the Red Dragon never flew proudly over Caerdydd.

I'm not being funny, but a history professor should have known stuff like that. Unless they're one of those dimbulb ideologues who thinks facts are disposable and ultimately meaningless in the light of more important things like opinions.

IRIS IN on local gym. OUR HERO is getting his workout on, trying to put the events of a particularly apocalyptic workday behind him while listening to the latest "Between The Sheets" podcast. A smile spreads over his face as he is regaled by NWA Wildside hijinx. WOMAN approaches.

WOMAN: "What are you smiling at?"
OUR HERO, taking his headphones off: "I dunno..."
WOMAN: "It's a cute smile!"

WOMAN leaves. A "gawrsh!" expression falls over OUR HERO'S face and he goes back to his workout as we

IRIS OUT

• Like 3

Woman: "What are you smiling at?"
Our Hero (instead of playing dumb): "A Georgia independent wrestling promotion from the late 90s and early 00s. It's actually where AJ Styles got his start! A lot of it's on youtube now if you want to..."
Woman: "Oh god, oh god. Get away from me!" 

(Sorry, Pete)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Woman: "What are you smiling at?"
Our Hero (instead of playing dumb): "A Georgia independent wrestling promotion from the late 90s and early 00s. It's actually where AJ Styles got his start! A lot of it's on youtube now if you want to..."
Woman: "Oh god, oh god. Get away from me!" 

(Sorry, Pete)

Shit you not, I was wearing my NJPW shirt at WW the other week after my workout and a woman there asked me something to the effect if that was where AJ came from.

Mom moved to Spokane over 2 weeks ago. Mom's stuff arrived Thursday - only 9 days later than promised. She's ecstatic her stuff is here. I'm pretty happy her and her stuff are here. 

• Like 1

It took nearly a month for my mom and stepdad's moving truck to get to Michigan from Colorado last year

Some stuff was missing even then. AND they tried to extort more money to unload the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Clear the Shelter day for your local animal rescues which is like the biggest adoption day of our year.  We knocked out like 33 adoptions in 6 hours which would normally take 3 weeks!  I'm set to pass out (100 degree heat index day SON!) so leave me alone unless you are the waitress bringing me margaritas.  

• Like 5

Most people I know mock Pokemon Go incessantly, and the regulars at my bar gave me some flak for playing it. But here's what happened: on the first day, my girls and I (who spend too much time sitting around watching TV), walked 6km (more than 3.5 miles), and found 20 bucks. Now, my oldest daughter, who rarely talks to me and NEVER answers my texts, is actively texting me asking what level I'm on or what I've caught on the days she's with her mother. I fucking love this stupid little game.

• Like 3

Usually my Son is made to feel jealous of his cousins, because my step-sister is a bit more acquisitive than either me or my Son's mum. But he's been playing Pokemon Go! since it launched, and they... live on the side of a hill where the nearest phone mast is just on the other side of the hilltop, and have shit reception on every kind of electric device imaginable. So they'd never even seen Pokemon Go! until they saw my Lad this morning, at their Grandad's. They actually all got together and asked if they could go for a walk to the main road, because that's where all the best Pokemon spawn. Went to the Church to pick up Pokeballs (there are quite a lot of churches for the size of the town, so I don't know which one is the gym. Assuming there's a gym. The town hall is a Pokestop as well, we were down there last night on the way to the Chip Shop and there were dozens of kids playing PGo!).

49 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Most people I know mock Pokemon Go incessantly, and the regulars at my bar gave me some flak for playing it. But here's what happened: on the first day, my girls and I (who spend too much time sitting around watching TV), walked 6km (more than 3.5 miles), and found 20 bucks. Now, my oldest daughter, who rarely talks to me and NEVER answers my texts, is actively texting me asking what level I'm on or what I've caught on the days she's with her mother. I fucking love this stupid little game.

Same thing is going on for one of my buddies and his step-kids. Normally the two kids are anchored to the couch, one playing Call of Duty, and the other sending Snapchats. Now, as a family, they are spending large amounts of time outside enjoying the summer and getting some exercise. More "stupid" things should encourage our youth to get out of the house and get some exercise.

• Like 1

Yeah but I'm a dude bro who is constantly BALLZ DEEP in vajay.  So instead of appreciating the tangible benefits the game is having I'm going to mock it because unless you can eat it, fuck it, spend it or toke it, it has no value.  Feel me brahs?

• Like 1

The weekend before last I saw one of my best friends for the first time in over a decade. Which was cool, and I met his wife and twin boys, we shared a couple beers and such. Nice you know?

Saturday night, for the first time in 13 years him and I and two more of our lifelong friends got together and got righteously drunk and just hung out like the old days. And, yeah, it hurt a hell of a lot more in the morning, but it was the best time I've had in ages. Three guys I've been friends with since preschool, kindergarten and second grade, respectively, back together. He left Sunday morning to go out to Maryland, where the army just moved him too (after a few years in Germany) but getting that chance to see him was fine, but getting to reunite the boys? That was amazing.

• Like 5