DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

On June 2nd 2018 Janice Kowalski and I welcomed our daughter in to this world

Her naming will be on the 17th of June. For now please enjoy this photo of our new Family!

34162895_10156248125273886_1163958170398

James

• Like 9

On 6/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, Zimbra said:

I am officially a homeowner and have all our stuff in the new place.

Now whomst would like to come unpack while my wife and I lay on the couch?

Since none of you bastards showed up I had to do it myself.

yPoxoPU.jpg

All the important stuff is unpacked, now it's just knickknacks, books, and getting stuff up on the wall.  Also dealing with the second bedroom full of boxes that need to go to storage or goodwill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Since none of you bastards showed up I had to do it myself.

yPoxoPU.jpg

All the important stuff is unpacked, now it's just knickknacks, books, and getting stuff up on the wall.  Also dealing with the second bedroom full of boxes that need to go to storage or goodwill.

Wait, you said the important stuff is unpacked, but then you said you still need to unpack the books. I'm confused...

But seriously, the question that I'm sure is on many minds here: What does Bruce think of his new digs? BTW: A good trick to acclimate a cat to a new home is to put some butter on their front paws. The cat doesn't like the feel of it, so will spend time washing it off (and enjoying the taste), and when all is said and done, it will be time for a nap, so the cat will have already done the three most important things a cat can do... Had a snack, washed up, and napped. Cat = fully acclimated to new home, it's safe.

• Haha 1

All the kitties are adapting like champs.  The first couple of days were of course stressful since they were in a new place and everything was still getting moved around, but they've settled down.  As you can see the new place has lots of windows so they've already staked out the good bird-watching and sunbeam-napping spots.  And there's lots of open space for Bruce's red dot and toy chasing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

All the kitties are adapting like champs.  The first couple of days were of course stressful since they were in a new place and everything was still getting moved around, but they've settled down.  As you can see the new place has lots of windows so they've already staked out the good bird-watching and sunbeam-napping spots.  And there's lots of open space for Bruce's red dot and toy chasing.

I take it that they are indoor kitties exclusively? Cats don't really NEED to go outside (as much as they may want to), but with the gang of ten, that ship sailed a long, long time ago. We're in a pretty cat-safe spot, end of a cul-de-sac so little if any traffic, fenced yard with a spot that the cats can get under but nothing larger can, so if they see a dog or strange person, they'll all high-tail under the fence into the backyard. The same neighbor that raises rabbits has a couple of medium-size dogs, which is fine; it's kept the cats from discovering (or at least investigating) the baby rabbits and the cats are more interested in walking back and forth on the wall mocking the dogs. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, we're on the second floor so going on the balcony is all the outside time they get.  The two older boys are definitely housecats and would not do well outside, especially since one has no claws and the other only back claws.  Bruce still has some street punk in him so he'd probably do fine but I don't want to find out if he'd actually come back.  

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, we're on the second floor so going on the balcony is all the outside time they get.  The two older boys are definitely housecats and would not do well outside, especially since one has no claws and the other only back claws.  Bruce still has some street punk in him so he'd probably do fine but I don't want to find out if he'd actually come back.  

Please don't tell me that you were responsible for the declawing... Poor kitties, that's like having the first joint of your fingers removed.

One my wife had done, the other came that way.  She has a condition where her skin tears easily and heals poorly so even cat scratches can be serious business and mean a trip to the ER.  And James used to be a pretty 'handsy' cat.  So it was either a front-declawed cat with a home or an intact cat in a shelter.  She chose the former and we're very comfortable with the decision.

Bruce, luckily enough, is an extremely gentle little man and saves his claws for toys and the scratching post.

Put that way, and with those circumstances, I have to agree with your decision.  Our only handsy cat is Sumuru, who is for reasons unknown, is just pretty damn mean. I can handle her, but no one else can get near her without getting scratched. We've had her since she was a kitten, so it's not like she came from an abusive home or anything, she's just the most ill-tempered cat we've ever had. For that matter, the other cats were nice to her as she was the baby, so I don't know where the anti-social stuff comes from, but at 12 I don't think she's going to mellow out anytime soon.

My grandparents had a cat like that.  Swebby was incredibly babied her entire life and she hated anyone that wasn't my grandparents or their dog.  All of the grandkids and great-grandkids have a "wandered too close to the cat and got attacked" story.  Some cats are just jerkasses.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Janice & I are proud to present to you...

Sandra Violet Bertrice Harris

Hebrew Name: Shaina Natania Vat Yaakov (Lily, Gift of G_d Daughter of James)

35434949_10155655518577951_8337965576756

James

• Like 10

Congratulations, James.

I celebrated my 7-year anniversary at the IRS by applying for a better job at the IRS.  I got confirmation that I was past the first cull; this doesn't so much mean that I'm in the running as "you passed the automated questionnaire to determine whether a human should read your application."  It's possible, even likely, that literally every applicant passed this stage one.  I feel that I'm head, shoulders and knees above my competitors, but if I didn't I wouldn't bother to challenge people who started there when I was in grade school...  

Our old condo was listed for 3 hours on MLS before we got an offer significantly over our asking without even seeing the place in person.  Real estate is ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 9:51 AM, The Natural said:

Back from a First Aid course and feel like I've accomplished something. I was one of two volunteers when asked to have a go on the dummy.

Sorry mate, but when you say "have a go on the dummy" I'm reminded of a terrible Ric Flair spot on WCW.

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, Zimbra said:

Our old condo was listed for 3 hours on MLS before we got an offer significantly over our asking without even seeing the place in person.  Real estate is ridiculous.

Just to expand on how ridiculous it is, we got a message from one of the showing realtors that basically said "Hey, the place smelled like natural gas so I shut off the gas line to the furnace. Also, here's our offer."  Apparently in this market 'might explode' is not the dealbreaker it once was.

• Haha 5

My ten year wedding anniversary is in five days. It's something of a special one to me, because it means we'll have been married longer than my parents (October '81 until July '91). Our original plan was to take a little road trip to El Paso, but nobody can take the kids for the night. So, instead the family is going to Roswell to see the new Jurassic World movie.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I just hit 90 days of sobriety a few days ago. I've struggled since I was in junior high with opiate addiction, kicking it for bit and then relapsing. This last time I gave up and intentionally overdosed. If my friend hadn't chosen that moment to surprise me with lunch at my apartment, I wouldn't be here today. I decided to actually do this the right way this time instead of trying to do it alone. I moved into a sober living community and have been going to a lot of sober support meetings while maintaining an outpatient rehab schedule. Life isn't perfect but it's getting better day by day. I just wanted to put my happiness out there and since I've visited this site almost every day since high school, why not here?

• Like 15