DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

Put another pelt on the wall, another Not Guilty. In fact I've never lost a trial in this particular county. This time a ridiculous assault case that never should have been filed. I don't know why they want me to keep kicking their asses but I'll oblige them.

• Like 5

I auditioned for the part of Moonface Martin in an upcoming production of "Anything Goes" at our local dinner theatre last week, and this afternoon I found out that I got the part. This is going to be the biggest role I've played since I started performing there in 2013, and I cant wait. It's the funniest part in a funny show, and I have two songs. Oh, and I'll be learning some simple tap routines. Fat and 47, and I'm gonna be tapping. :D

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I love collecting DVDs and Blu-rays, but my shelf finally reached its limit. I looked up buying a new shelf and was very specific in the size and dimensions. I wanted it low enough so that I could hang pictures above it without the pictures being cramped with the ceiling. Most DVD shelves are tall as hell. Without the height I needed it extra wide so it could accommodate my current collection and have plenty of room for future purchases. I found ONE shelf that fit this and it cost over 500 dollars and all the reviews said it was a cheap piece of shit and the shelves buckled under the weight of the dvds. 

So I said fuck it and built one myself. I used only hand tools. Nothing electric. No screws. No Nails. Basically just used hand chisels and a hand saw. It's stable and doesn't tilt from side to side because of the joints I used. My wife wanted it to have an aged drift wood look so I learned how to make that happen and stained it yesterday.

Zero prior wood working experience. Pretty proud of this and wanted to share. 

Now I just need to clean up that mess of cables.

DBkNOZ1VYAATcQ8.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I love collecting DVDs and Blu-rays, but my shelf finally reached its limit. I looked up buying a new shelf and was very specific in the size and dimensions. I wanted it low enough so that I could hang pictures above it without the pictures being cramped with the ceiling. Most DVD shelves are tall as hell. Without the height I needed it extra wide so it could accommodate my current collection and have plenty of room for future purchases. I found ONE shelf that fit this and it cost over 500 dollars and all the reviews said it was a cheap piece of shit and the shelves buckled under the weight of the dvds. 

So I said fuck it and built one myself. I used only hand tools. Nothing electric. No screws. No Nails. Basically just used hand chisels and a hand saw. It's stable and doesn't tilt from side to side because of the joints I used. My wife wanted it to have an aged drift wood look so I learned how to make that happen and stained it yesterday.

Zero prior wood working experience. Pretty proud of this and wanted to share. 

Now I just need to clean up that mess of cables.

DBkNOZ1VYAATcQ8.jpg

Yo, that is hella dope. I'm about to start building a dining room table, and much like you, I have zero experience in working with wood. I'm hoping that the plan in my head can be translated to real life, but if not, I am prepared to have to junk the whole fucking thing and buy a table to make do with until I can build up my ability to create the one I want.

I got booted out of both wood shop and metal shop in junior high for general incompetence with tools, so you have my respect and admiration. ;-)

Having a huge book collection, I can design shelving just fine, building it myself? Not so much, that's what brothers-in-law are for.

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

Yo, that is hella dope. I'm about to start building a dining room table, and much like you, I have zero experience in working with wood. I'm hoping that the plan in my head can be translated to real life, but if not, I am prepared to have to junk the whole fucking thing and buy a table to make do with until I can build up my ability to create the one I want.

Thanks. What kinda plan do you have in mind? One of the future projects on my list is a game table, since my family likes to do the table top thang.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I got booted out of both wood shop and metal shop in junior high for general incompetence with tools, so you have my respect and admiration. ;-)

Having a huge book collection, I can design shelving just fine, building it myself? Not so much, that's what brothers-in-law are for.

The one thing I've got more of than DVDs is books, so the bookshelves are totally coming. Next. My wife wants everything to match so I may have created a monster.

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Thanks. What kinda plan do you have in mind? One of the future projects on my list is a game table, since my family likes to do the table top thang.

The one thing I've got more of than DVDs is books, so the bookshelves are totally coming. Next. My wife wants everything to match so I may have created a monster.

She wants everything to match? You poor bastard.

• Like 1

I generally feel furniture building should be left to the Swedes. (Well, I guess I assemble it myself.) But that does look pretty sweet.

I'm also a fan of the "big mass of cables" aesthetic, so I don't know why you'd want to "clean it up".

43 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

In all honesty, I want it to be pretty simple, I have looked at lots of plans for "farmhouse tables" and that is kind of the vibe I have in mind. Big, bulky, solid. I had considered maybe doing the tabletop out of multiple 2X4's in a frame supported by A frame style legs. I have to talk to a friend of mine who knows more about construction to see if that is a feasible idea for a dining room table.

This is a small version of what I had in mind, minus the outer frame:

sealing-step.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So I got married this weekend, which was cool. Also, when my wife (who doesn't like wrestling at all but apparently pays close attention to the things I love because she is awesome) entered the reception prior to our first dance, she had the DJ, unbeknownst to me, play this: 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JRGoldman said:

So I got married this weekend, which was cool. Also, when my wife (who doesn't like wrestling at all but apparently pays close attention to the things I love because she is awesome) entered the reception prior to our first dance, she had the DJ, unbeknownst to me, play this: 

Congrats and have a tranquillo honeymoon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a new niece and the NFL is back on my TV. Could this be the best day of my life?

*Thinks back to day he got to stay home from church and found a penny*

Looks like we have a new champion.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

So the production of Anything Goes I'm currently in just got a great review. They spelled my last name wrong, but that's been happening my entire life.

This is the first show I've done that actually got a review. :lol:

http://wyominginmotion.com/jesters-dinner-theatre-anything-goes/

So when's your song going up on youtube, chief?