DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

8 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I can only think of one courtroom scene that doesn't seem to be on the level. The scene where the prosecution calls up the FBI forensic analyst, and Vinny objects that the defense hadn't been given any notice, and wasn't able to properly prepare cross, but the judge shot him down.

Oh no that's very accurate. Most judges will bend over backward to let the state do whatever they want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

This is someone else's good news, but holy shit. 

A friend and former college classmate is the assistant director of an upcoming production of Night of the Iguana. Which is cool and all, but okay...

They just announced the first cast member: http://www.playbill.com/article/james-earl-jones-will-appear-in-night-of-the-iguana-revival

Motherfucking James Earl Jones!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had to haul ass up to MD on Friday because my beloved domestic female partner had to be rushed to the ER.

Turns out she's got a kidney stone.  Still not fun but better than something more serious.  I have her swimming in cranberry juice and Lentil soup right now..

Her heart says, I love you, baby, but her eyes say, Burn in Hell, you bastard.

While an undergrad, a friends dad had a bunch at once and had to have blasted sonically and then passed.

Luckily, as it were, all mine have been one at a time, albeit 3 or 4 a year for a while, mainly when i still drank soda. 

• 4 weeks later...

I started out at my current job as a contractor doing IT support.  It was supposed to be for six months then they'd bring me into a permanent position.  6 months passed, nothing happened.  A year passed, nothing happened.  They always told me it was due to budgets or some issue with getting the process going.  So after working a tad shy of two years here out of the blue they say they got the paperwork to bring me on full-time.  And while orientation is technically next week I'm officially part of the company and no longer a contractor.

This might not seem like much to some, but it means tons to my wife and I.  I've been doing contract jobs for the better part of 6 years.  Some had hopes of going full-time, others were dead ends.  It's been a long time wondering when things would be stable with my work.  Now I can look finally look forward to things like paid time off, benefits and tuition reimbursement.  This is what I've been hoping to get all this time, and I'm damn happy to finally get it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Congrats, patience and hard work paid off. I don't know if I could have been left waiting so long, personally.

Thanks, man.  I've been surprisingly patient, and it helped they kept me in the loop along the way.  I just figured as long as I knew I was putting in some good work then either A. I'd eventually be brought in or B. They let me go but I'd have a helluva gig to talk about in the job interviews.  Thankfully the former option played out.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thanks, man.  I've been surprisingly patient, and it helped they kept me in the loop along the way.  I just figured as long as I knew I was putting in some good work then either A. I'd eventually be brought in or B. They let me go but I'd have a helluva gig to talk about in the job interviews.  Thankfully the former option played out.

Congrats on the gig! Best news since hearing Roman got the sweet house... Thankfully, you don't have to go through the nonsense of a job interview... But, just for practice... "Can you bake a cake?"

51 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Congrats on the gig! Best news since hearing Roman got the sweet house... Thankfully, you don't have to go through the nonsense of a job interview... But, just for practice... "Can you bake a cake?"

Thanks!  I hope I don't have to go through job interviews again, no matter how good they might be if it goes nowhere it's demoralizing.

And while I technically could bake a cake, I can't guarantee the quality of said cake would be the best.  But I can sure as hell help some dumbass connect to a printer!

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thanks!  I hope I don't have to go through job interviews again, no matter how good they might be if it goes nowhere it's demoralizing.

And while I technically could bake a cake, I can't guarantee the quality of said cake would be the best.  But I can sure as hell help some dumbass connect to a printer!

Pretty much the right answer. This was my go to question as a recruiter, it's basically "Can you follow directions?" Any idiot can bake a cake following the directions on the box, it's the ones that don't feel the need to that are going to be a problem. ;-) Let me repeat the story of my failing to ask a candidate this question, because I was so blown away by his resume, he was just exactly what a client of mine was looking for. Salary = $100K-$120K per year, means I would make about $33K on the deal... So yeah, I forgot to ask the question, set up a meeting at a local steakhouse frequented by all the players in N. Cali road construction and this asshat shows up in full medieval regalia and tells the hiring authority that he's in SCA and has a tournament right after lunch... I never failed to ask the cake question again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to even put this. LootVault made the mistake of sending me a 80% off coupon (they said it could have been anything from 40% to 80%, but I don't know if everyone got 80% off), perhaps not realizing that I will buy just about anything:

DpJRB9R.png

So for around $50 (with free shipping) I got a lot of cool stuff as I tried to focus on items that including clothing I would actually wear or figures of things I enjoy. The Plush Throw is the only thing I don't care about personally but I'll give it to my sister, as I will the Halo Wars crate. Hell I don't even know if they will make any money at all as shipping all that from CA to VA won't be cheap. A good day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the man who sits next to me at work loves working out, yet hates showers.

Brought it up with the boss this morning; found out i've nothing to worry about as his contract is being renewed and he's off in six weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 5:50 AM, Red is Dead said:

So the man who sits next to me at work loves working out, yet hates showers.

DON"T WASH YOUR GAIINS AWAY BRO! GOTTA LET EM SIMMER IN THE LIGHTS TO COLLECT THE DEAD PUSSY CELLS THEY KILLED AND REPLACED!!!!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, Zimbra said:

I got married and it was good as hell.  Not to brag, but my wife and I are adorable.  And that's my mom performing the ceremony.

Cu4Dyrk.jpg?1

That's a pretty excellent backdrop for a wedding ceremony. And you look sharp as hell. Congratulations!

• Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 1:37 PM, grilledcheese said:

That's a pretty excellent backdrop for a wedding ceremony. And you look sharp as hell. Congratulations!

Thanks a lot, man!  And you can't even see the best part of my outfit in that pic: my lavender Chuck Taylors.

• Like 1