DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Ruffles has brought back the All Dressed flavo(u)r that used to only be available in Canada. This makes me happy.

And they are awesome. 

Being turned into a vampire can only help you in the Temple. Really, I think they'd have to give you at least a piece of the Trios Title if you show up all Lugosi'd.

• Like 1

The company i work for was owned by another company. They sold us yesterday to a MUCH larger company. In the course of a day, I got a matching 401K, life insurance, much better health insurance, more vacation time/holidays, tuition reimbursement and a host of other perks. Also, my boss I absolutely hated with a passion stayed with the other company and my new boss is one of my closest work buddies.

• Like 6

An old army buddy invited me to join a new Dungeons & Dragons game he's setting up. I've never played it before, but I've always wanted to give it a try. So... a very minor bit of swell news, but I'm irrationally excited.

• Like 2

In 5e D&D, Half-Orcs get no penalty to Charisma. And Bards have an option of what's called the College of War, and can eventually get 9th level spell access, just like wizards and clerics. You want to make a kickbutt Half-Orc Bard, its doable.

In Pathfinder, which is similar to 3.5e D&D but published by a different company, Half-Orc gets a choice of what stat to bump at character creation. You could legit start with a 20 in Charisma.

We thought it'd be fun to have our characters rolled completely at random (both race and class), so we got a Goliath Rogue, a Gnome Cleric, a Warforged Paladin and an Elf (Eladrin) Warlock.

I'm the Paladin. Instead of going with the traditional Warforged racial background, we decided to make it a Robocop instead: my character used to be a Human templar for a certain deity, got horribly injured and agreed to undergo an arcane experiment to put his soul into some mechanical contraption. So the traditional 'Warforged' race doesn't really exist. We settled on the name 'Ironclads' for similar Fantasy Robocops.

First session was pretty fun, and the rules are really easy to get into. Here's hoping our schedules align up once in a while so we can continue.

• Like 2

Family doctor told me today that I am no longer considered a Type 2 diabetic. I have resisted the urge to celebrate by eating an entire ice cream cake, at least for now. :)

• Like 8

This whole situation in Fort McMurray Alberta is crazy and has sort of reminded a lot of people that humans vs. wildfire is quite often about as effective as an ant pushing a tricycle. Like everyone else in the province I either know people effected, or know people that know people.

Having said that it's utterly remarkable that at this point we're still looking at having evacuated a city of 60 000 people from a lethal wall of fire without a single fatality. If we actually come through this shit with that intact I'd call it a victory. Also the general response from just average people opening their homes, the response of the business community, has at least restored a little faith that maybe the basic nature of humanity isn't so terrible after all.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I helped my Father get a car ten years ago, and being Mr. Unreliable, he started slacking on the payments and in 2009 it got repossessed and my credit went into the shitter, and ten years later it's all behind me and my credit it good again.  Why am I telling this story in the swell news thread? Because the bank got slapped with a class action suit for some sort of improper doing as it goes to repossessing and I got check in the mail today for $341!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My tonsillectomy surgery went just peachy yesterday - now recovering at my home thanks to the help of my amazing wife. 

I've already had a great side effect from the surgery - my nose, which was perpetually stuffed to the point we believed I might've had a deviated septum, ever since I was a little kid, is completely clear and I can breathe through it for the first time, ever.