DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

I went out on a first date tonight with a competitive powerlifting girl. It went great. Some light adult situations happened, so that was good! I'm gonna see her again this weekend if I don't get forced over at work.

• Like 1

I went out on a first date tonight with a competitive powerlifting girl. It went great. Some light adult situations happened, so that was good! I'm gonna see her again this weekend if I don't get forced over at work.

Glad you had a good time.

• Like 1

Landed a part-time job as a "comedy correspondent" for the Philadelphia Inquirer's coverage of our mayoral race. I'm hoping my assignment comes together. It's a lot of fun but requires a lot of moving parts to come together for it to make the website. I'm trying to do a mini-Daily Show/Jon Oliver type of thing, and it's friggin' hard work.  Even still -- this is sort of the coolest career accomplishment imaginable.

• Like 1

Landed a part-time job as a "comedy correspondent" for the Philadelphia Inquirer's coverage of our mayoral race. I'm hoping my assignment comes together. It's a lot of fun but requires a lot of moving parts to come together for it to make the website. I'm trying to do a mini-Daily Show/Jon Oliver type of thing, and it's friggin' hard work.  Even still -- this is sort of the coolest career accomplishment imaginable.

Until you write something that pisses someone off and the ghost of Frank Rizzo firebombs your neighborhood to shut you up.

(I know it was Wilson Goode, but Rizzo is funnier)

• Like 1

Got back from the 2014/15 Interprovincial Team Challege for 5 pin bowling yesterday. Was a great trip, even though our team underperformed (finished 6th out of 9 teams in our pool). I ended up being a bit over my average for the tournament, so at least I'm not blaming myself entirely for us not doing better.

On the important side, it was a three day party, complete with Duckpin bowling, and drinking, singing and dancing to Bruno Mars with a bunch of Newfies. The only thing I did not accomplish was getting one of the Albertans to trade me a cowboy hat for a bowling shirt.

It definitely got my competitve juices flowing though. I might start taking my bowling more seriously next year. :o

The missus got the laboratory job she'd been vying for. It's a great company with lots of room for further education and lots of chances for promotion and independence. Finally some good news after all the recent hardships she's been enduring.

• Like 2

You do crazy things when you're out of town working nights for 13hrs a night 7 days a week.  I bought a new car.  On ebay.  In Illinois.  I live in North Carolina.  I couldn't pass it up though, it had everything my wife and I were looking for and it was a great deal.  Also because Bank of America is stupid and pre-approved us then went back on it because the vehicle was located out of state I'm moving all of my money to Navy Federal.  Bye dumbasses.  Only been with them for 12yrs. 

This actually doesn't seem like a "good" story, but all things considered, it belongs here...

Had a vacation from work this past week and made it a thing to hit up a ton of comedy open-mics.  Got to five different open-mics and performed at four of them.  After that, I went to two local wrestling shows on Saturday(afternoon and evening).  Really fun stretch for the most part.  Someone from the afternoon show even recognized me from my comedy.

Shortly after I left the venue on Saturday night, I discovered that I had a flat tire...really glad I hadn't gotten onto the highway yet.  Don't think it was any direct damage, just general wear and tear that finally caught up to me.  (I was overdue for new tires anyway.)  A couple of my friends from the show helped me to get the spare tire on the car(don't know if I could have done it on my own)...luckily, the spare held up for the half-hour highway drive home and I planned to take it to Firestone on Sunday to get it fixed.

Right after leaving the house yesterday, the SPARE went kaboom, so I had to get a tow to Firestone.  Luckily I was close enough to walk back home and jump on the computer to look up a towing service.  The towing guy recognized me from comedy as well, so that was twice in one weekend...neat.  At any rate, I went to Firestone and discovered that the blowout was on one of the tires that was due for a replacement anyway(I got two replaced last year).  Since it would take a day for them to get the new tires into the shop, I signed up for the tire replacement and called Enterprise for a rental.  Fortunately, my insurance SHOULD cover the towing and rental and I should get my car back today.

The good parts about that:  Both blowouts took place at times when it didn't put me in danger.  I finally got around to getting the new tires and my insurance should cover most of the extra costs.  Also, I was lucky to have friends who could help me with the impromptu tire change on Saturday night.

Next time I get down on myself, I should remind myself of this past week.  I'm fortunate in a lot of ways that I overlook far too often.  Made a lot of good friends through both comedy and wrestling.

• Like 5

The car that I bought online was finally delivered today and was as awesome as I thought it would be.  This is the second vehicle I've bought online but the first that I had delivered.  I will say, if the carfax is clean and you're buying from a reputable dealer/person, don't be afraid to look online because you might find a deal that is much better than you can find locally.  

Baby c hasnt got hand, foot and mouth (again)

Which is a good thing; she's not highly contagious.

However, she does have an allergy to penicillin (DO NOT GOOGLE ALLERGY TO PENICILLIN IN TODDLERS, THE IMAGES ALONE WILL ENSURE YOU WILL NOT SLEEP)