DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

It has been an absolute shit last 10 days but I’m currently waiting out the post vaccine 15 with my son. 

Dose 2 will be in three weeks and then we will finally be able to see my Mom after a long fucking 18 months.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It has been an absolute shit last 10 days but I’m currently waiting out the post vaccine 15 with my son. 

Dose 2 will be in three weeks and then we will finally be able to see my Mom after a long fucking 18 months.

We're in the same boat. We were supposed to see them over the holidays December of 2019 but then my 96 year old grandmother took a turn (one that would culminate in August). They had plans to come down the weekend that everything started to get locked down which obviously were cancelled. They're fully vaccinated. First shot is in all of our arms now. Second would be the start of May. We're thinking we see them in June. The 3 year old 100% thinks that they live in my phone. Not even kidding.

• Like 2

Just for clarity on my mealy mouthed post - I am fully vaccinated (2 weeks post 2nd dose was this past Thursday)

Today was my 16 year old son's first dose.

VA didn't fuck around - basically everyone because eligible and I immediately got an email from my healthcare provider that it was time to set up an appointment for him. It just just so happened that he didn't have school today so that really worked. Plus, the 2nd dose for him is officially scheduled.

My day - for once - was Ice Cube like

• Like 7

Got my 2nd shot on Monday and it kicked my ass the rest of the week.  Tuesday was full on fever all day long, chills, muscles aches, nausea, headaches, etc.  Wednesday the fever broke but still had everything else and by today I'm mostly feeling mostly back to normal.  

Am already booking tickets for every damn theme park they decide to reopen around here for 2 weeks from now.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Paid off my mortgage today.  We only had a few monthly payments left so wife and I decided to just pay the balance and be done with it.   I'd probably be elated if my wife hadn't "joked" that she'll start planning the new house tomorrow.  She still wants to build from scratch.

i feel strange.  I'm wondering if this is what it feels like to be set financially.  I mean, I'm 15+ years from retirement, so anything could happen, but.... at the moment, we both have jobs that pay well and seem to be recession and pandemic-proof, decent bit in the bank, got rid of of some of our long-term debts, etc.  Various factors have caused me to worry a lot about finances the past few years to the point I was having nightmares about dying young (lol, too late for that).  My wife's business (edit: side business, not her day job) was failing when the pandemic started and I was sure we wouldn't be able to sell it and would take a catastrophic loss.  I was wrong, fortunately.  

Biggest cause for optimism is that our kids are doing well and, more importantly, starting to pay their own bills.  We still have one in college but all four are working their way towards self-sufficiency so they at least cost a lot less than they used to.  26 years ago, I thought I had a handle on how much it would cost to raise kids.  Something else I was wrong about.  So very, very wrong.

Pandemic still scares me daily, but I'm hopeful things look a lot different in 6-9 months.  Stress level still very high, but I assume I can manage it.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 4

That's awesome to be done with the mortgage.  I'm year one and change into paying off mine and I'd love to hit the lottery just to be done with it that much quicker.  But it's getting there and I like that I'm not as much of a financial idiot as I used to be.

Switching gears my wife got her vaccine shot scheduled for next Tuesday.  So once she's fully taken care of then my family will all have it which will be nice.

• Like 3

Got the second dose today! Arm started to hurt as soon as I ripped off the bandaid hours later, which was a strange omen. We'll see what tomorrow brings. 

Also, got a guy coming to size up the moving of the contents of the house in the morning. Hopefully it won't be a total reaming but there is a lot of vinyl, and it's even heavier than I first thought...

• Like 10

The 43rd annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament was held this weekend. Usually you gotta fly to Connecticut to attend, but with the whole pandemic thing, the tournament was virtual this year, and you could solve online.

My girlfriend and I were in the Pairs division, and we finished 10th out of 135 pairs participating. Take that result with a bit of a grain of salt, because the best solvers are almost always in the individual divisions, not the Pairs - we're not like word-class level by any means.  It's still a respectable showing.  Would like to reach top 3 in Pairs someday, especially if they keep running tournaments online.

• Like 9

I've got my first on Friday. Despite all of the UK media's triumphalism about how great our vaccine rollout has been, loads of Americans (many of whom are younger than me) have had their second vaccination before I've had my first.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm due my second AZ vaccine shot next Wednesday!

I thought AZ was shorthand for Arizona and was really confused.  Supply is starting to outpace demand in most areas.

My state's governor is currently trying to bribe 16-35 year old's to get vaccinated by offering a $100 savings bond.  I assume he'll get some people. but I wonder how many people are going to be swayed by that.  $100 seems like a paltry bribe these days. 

Getting my first AstraZeneca shot on Tuesday. For some reason the plan is to wait 105 days before the second shot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I’ll take it, especially since our caseload is at an all-time high.

• Like 5

I got my second Pfizer shot on Thursday, and I can say that I have no side effects at this point. My arm was sore for, like, 24 hours, and then only if I really stretched it out. That was it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JLSigman said:

I got my second Pfizer shot on Thursday, and I can say that I have no side effects at this point. My arm was sore for, like, 24 hours, and then only if I really stretched it out. That was it.

Glad to hear that. I got my second yesterday (Pfizer too) and the arm hurts way more than the first, though advil helps. I still pulled it together and went food shopping this morning. We're having our deck replaced starting tomorrow and got most of the work we had to do for that done yesterday, thankfully. The 19 year old also got his second one yesterday and he's way more knocked out than I am. Wife gets her second one tomorrow night. That's moderna so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'm back to 100% by then. 

• Like 3

Got my first shot of Pfizer on Thursday; scheduled for the second in August. No side effects for me either, but the doctor who administered it confirmed that the second shot of Pfizer is usually a lot worse. So we'll see how August goes.

• Like 2

Second Pfizer shot made my arm more sore than first, but wasn't a big deal.  No other side effects.  Very few of the people around me have suffered much in the way of side effects, so I wonder how widespread side effects actually are.  Don't see much talk about in media anymore.  

• Like 3

I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for about 24 hours after both my first and second shots of Pfizer, but other than that was fine besides some injection site soreness.  My wife had no effects from either one.

I went to my normal Friday night hangout with friends for the first time since the pandemic started and folks: it was nice.

• Like 5