DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

My mom is in the 1A risk group and my sister & brother are both educators (she teaches 3rd grade and my bro is a professor at Virginia Tech).  All three have had their second shots.

The Department of the Army appears to be waiting to evaluate the J&J vaccine since it is logistically better to do one and dones rather than schedule second visits.  By the time they make their decision, either the virus will be eradicated or I will be in the hospital.   Therefore I'm not waiting around for them to figure shit out.

I've signed up with Va. Dept of Health and the Wellness Program of my regular pharmacy.  Between the two, i should be getting my shots pretty soon.

• Like 6

The folks bought a new house and sold this one so I guess I'm moving into the basement. Just like my granddad, haha. Now the issue is moving all the vinyl. Has anybody here had to do this before? The DVDs, the VHS and books and tapes and CDs, none of that I'm worried about but the vinyl is an issue.

We got our first (Pfizer) shots yesterday.  All I got was a sore arm.  My wife is having a rougher go of it. Don't know if the side effects are worse if you've had the virus before, but she's feeling a lot of the same symptoms from when we had our fairly mild cases back in December.  

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The folks bought a new house and sold this one so I guess I'm moving into the basement. Just like my granddad, haha. Now the issue is moving all the vinyl. Has anybody here had to do this before? The DVDs, the VHS and books and tapes and CDs, none of that I'm worried about but the vinyl is an issue.

From my vague recollections of moving with my parents when they still had a fairly large collection, you basically want to pad everything individually, and there's no such thing as too much padding. Dad bought rolls of bubblewrap and wrapped each album in it's slipcase/cover and would use small boxes lined with more bubblewrap.

• Like 1

Just got a text from my doctor's office that I was eligible to schedule a vaccine appointment so I'm getting my first dose Monday morning!  Not sure which one yet but at this point I don't really care.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Just got a text from my doctor's office that I was eligible to schedule a vaccine appointment so I'm getting my first dose Monday morning!  Not sure which one yet but at this point I don't really care.

South Carolina is finally opening up vaccinations to all and sundry starting next week, so at the very least I'll go get mine, and I'll keep trying to convince Mom it's safe enough to go out and get her's.

• Like 2

Got my first shot of Pfizer vaccine today. With this everyone in my household has had a least one shot. I never went out too much aside for groceries and household materials, but it will be nice when we are fully vaccinated next month. My dad, older brother, and myself all have diabetes so there has been just a pinch of worry in me. I know my dad has enjoyed being able to visit his bowling buddies again.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

This is minor news, but I enjoyed an imported can of Dr Pepper Cream Soda today. It was my first non-Jamie Oliver'd Dr Pepper in about 2.5 years, but man I think it's actually better than standard Dr Pepper. Made me very happy.

Yeah, it's usually the small things in life that bring us most happiness. I'm going to have to take your word for the taste of any Dr Pepper, though, as I have never had one myself. When other people had soda, I had orange juice or ice water. Never got used to fizzy drinks as a kid, had to soften them up with some alcohol to get them down later on in life.

Hahahaha that's crazy. But yeah they are very sweet. I myself drink one (budget supermarket) energy drink in the morning most days so I stay used to them but I know Coca Cola tastes insanely sweet if you go a while without drinking it - and Dr Pepper is sweeter. But I guess this is more food thread stuff.

19 hours ago, JLSigman said:

South Carolina is finally opening up vaccinations to all and sundry starting next week, so at the very least I'll go get mine, and I'll keep trying to convince Mom it's safe enough to go out and get her's.

Did they not have a vaccination period for people with chronic conditions?

I had resigned myself to having to wait until they open it up to the general public in May to get stuck; I figured at least my wife, parents, and elderly relatives had all gotten jabbed so I was unlikely to put anyone I loved in the hospital if I got it.  But it turns out all the weight I put on in six months of unemployment and then the lockdown put me over the BMI limit to be eligible now.  I, uhh, got some mixed feelings about that.

16 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Did they not have a vaccination period for people with chronic conditions?

I had resigned myself to having to wait until they open it up to the general public in May to get stuck; I figured at least my wife, parents, and elderly relatives had all gotten jabbed so I was unlikely to put anyone I loved in the hospital if I got it.  But it turns out all the weight I put on in six months of unemployment and then the lockdown put me over the BMI limit to be eligible now.  I, uhh, got some mixed feelings about that.

Because I don't have health insurance or a doctor right now, and I'm only 45, it would have been difficult, if not impossible, to "prove" anything.

• Sad 1

I'm getting my dose tomorrow too! Two of my closest friends have already got theirs, which we joked about because they're an animal doctor and a mortician respectively; one of them said it's no wonder because they're essential, they only thing going on during the pandemic have been deaths and people buying animals haha. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:19 PM, Curt McGirt said:

If you don't have to move far, the 'small' boxes from U-haul work great.  If you don't mind the boxes getting heavy, you can load quite a few records into one.

We just moved in the fall.  I have a little over 1000 records (Releases, technically. Some of them are double or triple LPs or box sets.).  It took about 15 of those boxes to pack them all.

We had to stage our house to sell first, so I have to move about 8 of the boxes to a friend's basement.  Then, I had to bring those back home, and carry all 15 boxes upstairs to our guest room where they were going to be stored.  The shelf I needed from IKEA was out of stock forever, so my records sat in the boxes for months.  Then, we had guests come stay, so I moved all the boxes to our bedroom.  The wife wasn't happy about that, so I moved them all down to the basement.  Then, finally, a couple weeks ago, we got the IKEA shelf, so I moved all of the boxed back up to the guest room.  

Anyway, at the end of the day, I'm happy to have my whole collection in one spot finally:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM8dsfulDWB/

Sorry, that was a long way to say get the small boxes at U-haul.

• Thanks 1

Noice! That looks great dude. I'll never be able to do the alphabetical thing but I do have some stuff organized into random sections by genre/subgenre and have compiled bands together, for example I have a big chunk of just NWOBHM albums, a top shelf with a bunch of what I consider the mainstays (Priest/Maiden/Sabbath/BOC/etc.), my picture discs and 10"s are all in separate sections, and of course the 7"s are by themselves in a row of three shoeboxes. I'd take a picture of everything if the room was bigger. Five sections are already in crates so I don't think those are gonna be an issue but I've got six sets of shelving for the rest right now. The good thing is the basement is massive (was a former movie room with projector and has an attached bedroom and bathroom) so I've got plenty of room for everything. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 7:10 AM, JLSigman said:

Because I don't have health insurance or a doctor right now, and I'm only 45, it would have been difficult, if not impossible, to "prove" anything.

Oh wow, that is totally ass.  Wisconsin is at least letting you self-certify that you have a qualifying condition

OFFICIALLY STABBED. Next one of the end of next month. You could have pinched me and I'd have felt it more than that needle. Looked like there were quite a few people milling around in the place they had set up, a clothing store that went out of business. It's down in the local business district in a strip mall kind of situation, with exactly two out of about five or so other businesses still open. The trash on the curb made it look like a ghost town. 

They're doing walk-ins with the Johnson & Johnson out here now so that's another positive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Control said:

For whatever reason, my province has decided to try to get the first shot to everyone quickly, and then possibly not give them the next shot for four months? I'm a bit baffled.

Just to clarify why I gave this post a like: I'm pretty sure I'm not in the same province as you, but my parents told me essentially the same thing about our province on the phone just now.

I hadn't been paying too much attention to the vaccine rollout since I'm 42, not an essential worker, otherwise healthy, and figured I was still a long way away from getting a vaccine (to repeat in case anyone's skimming this post: this is in Canada, we're way behind the US on this), but apparently some of these virus variants hit middle-aged people harder than the original, so who knows how the schedule will go.

• Like 1

Well for one we don’t have the same kind of cash the US has to buy vaccinations. Also, our public healthcare infrastructure has been underfunded for decades.

I don’t know why Nova Scotia is so shit, though.