DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

My mom has cancer in her bones. 4 months ago she was so weak that her shoulder and forearm broke just out of the blue and she had to spend a month in the hospital and a rehab facility. 3 months ago she was sent home (even though she was still healing and very weak) and could not even stand up on her own power. I had to physically lift her up to a standing position just so she could use the toilet (and then I had to help her off the toilet and help her wipe which was not pleasant). The hospital did sent a physical therapist and an occupational therapist once a week to work with her but progress was little to none. 2 months ago she was afraid to even stand up out of fear she would fall and injure herself again, and it was so bad I had to ask for help on Facebook caring for her because it was getting to be too much for me to deal with on my own. 1 month ago she could assist with standing a little bit but still I was doing much of the work myself, and I would have to help her get dressed. 

Today she can not only stand up all on her own, she can use the toilet without assistance, dress herself without assistance and even walk into the kitchen to get herself a snack if she's hungry (though she still doesn't have the stamina to stand for a long time cooking something). She's much more confident and I haven't heard her say "I'm scared" in weeks. She still has a long way to go but I am so very proud of her. 

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

Sitting outside of my local coffee shop, on a back porch and a padded chair. It started raining hard. Luckily I have a small roof right over my spot. Not wet, no one around. Gonna wait this out a relax. A good day for coffee.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, JLSigman said:

Got an eye exam yesterday, and my bifocals are now even more bifocally than before! 

Then went to Zenni Optical online and paid less than $200 for two pairs of glasses, when normally from LensCrafters it's $500 for one. I can't wait to get them.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm beyond due for a new pair. I lost track of how long I had my current one but it's been slowly falling apart on me. I've been considering Warby Parker but don't know how good they really are. But that does sound like a helluva deal. 

Went for my eye test this weekend, my first in four years. I'm supposed to have an eye examination every two years. Fucked up there. My left eye has deteriorated and then some. Makes sense as the CP affects everything but more so my left side. I loved the first pair I picked as did my Little Sis and somebody who works at the shop. That design is similar to my usual go to choice. The other pair is really different, colourful. Thought it was time to go for a change because usually I get two very similar. My Little Sis had hers testing before me so we helped each other pick giggs.

You got yourself a good deal there, @JLSigman xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Today is my first day back at school, and its first official year as a teacher.(Last year was an emergency hire/student teacher.) Its nice to have a job, but I could have used another week or two of vacation, but then can't we all?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from New Orleans this past Wednesday.  We went to visit my adopted sister's biological family and everything went pretty well.  I got a Baron Samedi shirt

186W.jpg

and a good luck talisman from Marie LaVeau's House of Voodoo, but there were no tours of her grave site due to COVID.  I was bummed.

We took my mom to the aquarium and she had a great time, and then we went to Brocatto's for some gelato and canoles.

There was a big BBQ last Sunday on the 16th with smoked brisket that was secretly a birthday party for my sister.  She turned the big four oh on the 14th.

I may have put on like twenty pounds.  I ate a lot of crawfish bread.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It's against the rules of the galaxy to come back from New Orleans without gaining a ton of carb weight. ? Glad you had a good time!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Got back from New Orleans this past Wednesday.  We went to visit my adopted sister's biological family and everything went pretty well.  I got a Baron Samedi shirt

186W.jpg

and a good luck talisman from Marie LaVeau's House of Voodoo, but there were no tours of her grave site due to COVID.  I was bummed.

We took my mom to the aquarium and she had a great time, and then we went to Brocatto's for some gelato and canoles.

There was a big BBQ last Sunday on the 16th with smoked brisket that was secretly a birthday party for my sister.  She turned the big four oh on the 14th.

What makes you think that  Marie LaVeau is really dead?

* My bro goes to New Orleans and I don't even get a Baron Samedi shirt. ?

Edited by OSJ
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry, dude.  Give me your shirt size and I will get you a Samedi shirt next time we visit.  

Oh and Marie LaVeau isn't dead.  Who do you think runs the vampire and zombie society with Lestat?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm sorry, dude.  Give me your shirt size and I will get you a Samedi shirt next time we visit.  

Oh and Marie LaVeau isn't dead.  Who do you think runs the vampire and zombie society with Lestat?

Oh, I can squeeze into XL, but I go with XXXL cause that's how I roll. ? 

No worries, I've made it to 63 without one.

After only working there since July 1st, I have been promoted to supervisor of the bakery/deli at my Walmart Neighborhood Market.

It blows my mind to think that this time two years ago, I was at the absolute lowest of low. Hoping for death and laid up in the hospital, unable to walk or really do anything, due to extreme alcoholism.

Ever since I moved down here, I've really turned my life around and am quite happy. I have managed to put a concrete dome over the suicidal depression that once plagued my soul.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

So I consider this swell news but my wife and I deactivated Facebook recently.  For me it was due to Facebook being shitty plus the political stuff was bad enough and only going to get worse.  So I did that last Saturday and had a lovely pint of beer to celebrate.  Then yesterday it turns out my wife's friend dips his toes into some weird sources of information.  Apparently he was trying to play devil's advocate for the white kid with the rifle in Kenosha and that was it for her.  So we're pretty happy with our decisions and unless something life-altering happens for me to get back on I may as well delete the thing altogether in due time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So I consider this swell news but my wife and I deactivated Facebook recently.  For me it was due to Facebook being shitty plus the political stuff was bad enough and only going to get worse.  So I did that last Saturday and had a lovely pint of beer to celebrate.  Then yesterday it turns out my wife's friend dips his toes into some weird sources of information.  Apparently he was trying to play devil's advocate for the white kid with the rifle in Kenosha and that was it for her.  So we're pretty happy with our decisions and unless something life-altering happens for me to get back on I may as well delete the thing altogether in due time.

I haven't been able to toss it completely, it's the only social media my Mom uses, but I've pared down to family who aren't rabid shitbags, a few long time acquaintances, and my older brother's small town newspaper (he's the editor and has been slowly pushing it to be a little more liberal over the last few years).

Edited by JLSigman
  • Like 2

Facebook is shitty in general, but I've been fortunate in my self-selection over the years. I have a handful of people from my hometown in MA that are prone to conspiracy theories (either on the crazy anti-vax left or on the right in general) and they were easy to pare down. My side of the family had no one. My wife's side of the family meant that I needed to mute 1-2 people. I'm more than happy to cut people out at this point. It's 2020 and well past the point of deciding where you stand and what you believe in. Honestly, it's a real good way to figure who you DON'T want in your life. That solves the problem way better than deleting the thing in my mind. Obviously, there are plenty of other issues with how it's run and the effect it's had on print media and how it promotes dangerous falsehoods, etc., but if your biggest issue is the politics of who you're friends with, that's a "who you're friends with" issue, not a Facebook one.

• Like 4

@NikoBaltimore, what was the celebratory pint of beer? Always love hearing what people drink.

Also, happy your wife and you are making steps to maintain sanity. You come off as a good person on here and don’t deserve to regularly be irritated by dummies on something that’s supposed to be fun.

Only piece of advice (sorry, I know you didn’t ask)  is if you plan on deleting it, consider going through your pictures on there and save them either to a hard drive or make 4x6’s. Some of those good memories could make you smile flipping through in the future.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Double post ?

A few of my friends on here already knew this, but I’m going through a bit of a job transition. I have been working at a camera shop for about 6 years now. A love a lot of the people I work with, but it’s been time for a change for awhile now. I was going to leave last year but I built up enough paid time off that it was nice to be paid during the wedding and honeymoon. Then I was actively looking, but COVID hit and I figured I’d keep the stability going. So being back at it with COVID-restrictions made it tough and I was pretty much out commissions which has been hurting bad, while the business itself was doing well. Being the only person that can running shipping and inventory while the President of the company was off site, my job shifted away from customers. Which isn’t too bad, but financially hurting. My customers that ask for me are either no longer coming in or (a few times in the past as well) are being sniped and my names not put on the sale. Then I no longer felt safe working while some of the guys were becoming avid Anti-Mask and regularly breaking protocols. Even the manager having people of the neighborhood over to have beers at work after hours in the shop. Again, my office was away from everybody, but it was getting ridiculous. Add on top the poor communication that was already there, I checked out. Put my two weeks in last week. Next week will be my last.

So I got accepted for a new job with a lubricant distribution company that’s very close to my house. I know someone that works for a different location, but really likes the company. In theory, a lot of upwards mobility. It'll be a lot harder work and faster paced, but I’m excited to put the work in and provide for my family. Fingers crossed, the wife and I want to try to have a kid soon. More money and a more consistent job will help when that happens. I’m scared starting a new job when things are so turbulent in the world, but this industry is really booming as more things are being shipped and driving around. We’ll see what happens. My wife says she’s proud of me and that’s more than enough motivation to stay positive in life.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, Octopus said:

@NikoBaltimore, what was the celebratory pint of beer? Always love hearing what people drink.

Also, happy your wife and you are making steps to maintain sanity. You come off as a good person on here and don’t deserve to regularly be irritated by dummies on something that’s supposed to be fun.

Only piece of advice (sorry, I know you didn’t ask)  is if you plan on deleting it, consider going through your pictures on there and save them either to a hard drive or make 4x6’s. Some of those good memories could make you smile flipping through in the future.

Thank you very much for the kind words.  I did download my archive or whatever they call it so all that's on my external drive now.  I deactivated for now on the chance that some life-altering event happens in the future.  But I'm giving it six months where if I don't feel a need to get back on then a full deletion will happen.  Part of it is due to the fact that social media isn't really my thing anymore and since I consider this board social media It's more than enough for me.  The other part is me trying to avoid talking current events/politics the much I can (except for here)  With the election coming soon and <4 years of dealing with this bullshit there's no point in me talking anymore about it.  We know what needs to happen.  So I told my family and friends that I don't want anything to do with it and even with football starting they know I'll be coming in ten minutes late in case they bitch about the anthem.  It's just too much as even if it's from people I agree with it's become emotionally taxing.

As for my celebratory pint it was Sam Adams Porch Rocker.  Place we were at was a sports bar with not many craft options and finding a Porch Rocker in late August was quite the surprise.  I generally like it but that tiny bit of extra time it was out in the wild made for a better tasting experience.  I still prefer their summer beer and especially the Oktoberfest one.  But not a bad beer to celebrate with.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

A bit more than a week ago, I ordered a birthday present for my wife online. It arrived promptly, but I didn't have the time to myself in order to open the package. Yesterday, as I finally opened it in order to wrap the gift up, I noticed it was not what I ordered. Close, but still wrong.

I divulge this to my wife when she gets home and she implored me to contact the customer service and see what, if anything could be done before Friday.

I sent back the product last night and while it will probably not be back in their hands until next week (or tomorrow at the earliest ) today I received an email stating they could replace the product by tomorrow morning, delivered to our home address.

The Finnish postal service is not without its faults, but compared to the shit going on in the US, that is peanuts!

It sure saved my day today!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Covid shot #2 today, got our first bit of the stimmy yesterday (wife's will probably show up today, hopefully). Still waiting on our tax return but otherwise we're on top of getting rid of all our credit card debt. It isn't much but interest is the devil and I'm tired of giving money away. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Covid shot #2 today, got our first bit of the stimmy yesterday (wife's will probably show up today, hopefully). Still waiting on our tax return but otherwise we're on top of getting rid of all our credit card debt. It isn't much but interest is the devil and I'm tired of giving money away. 

I'm right there with you on paying interest.  We managed to pay off my wife's credit card and student loan debt a few years back and we paid off our car in November so our mortgage is the only debt we have, which feels pretty gotdang great.

Anyway, we also got our stimmies so I'm thinking about getting a new dishwasher and kitchen sink/faucet.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention my father got his vaccine on Friday. Been kind of worried for a while now with him being 70, a diabetic, and on dialysis. Definitely felt a sense of relief when it finally happened. 

• Like 8

A fine day!

• Stimulus money came in and went right back out, paying off a credit card.
  • an hour later, the wife and I both received the first COVID vaccine round.
  • Like 11

Vaccine dates went off without a hitch!

My wife is a bit under the weather after her second shot (Moderna), and my own side effects from my first (Pfizer) are minimal.

I go back on Easter for the second shot. Here’s hoping I have a better time afterward than she did.

• Like 6

On 3/18/2021 at 11:39 AM, Super Ape said:

Vaccine dates went off without a hitch!

My wife is a bit under the weather after her second shot (Moderna), and my own side effects from my first (Pfizer) are minimal.

I go back on Easter for the second shot. Here’s hoping I have a better time afterward than she did.

I got the Moderna shots, and the day after my second shot wasn't great, but better than my wife's after effects. That seems to be common, difference in reaction between men and women, with the ladies (yet again) getting the shittier deal. I'd definitely recommend having the day after schedule cleared and just taking it easy. It's really just one day of recovery, besides a little arm soreness. Good luck!

• Like 4