DVDVR Message Board

2015 HOF Thread

EdA

Following on from a video linked in the article: How many did he actually send into the Cove, and more importantly, how many hall of famers hit fewer total home runs than Barry Bonds hit into the sea?

EDIT: Wikipedia has the answer: 35. The rest of San Fransisco have hit 33, and the rest of the Majors have hit 38.

The needle is the ass. . its STERIODRIFFIC!

Following on from a video linked in the article: How many did he actually send into the Cove, and more importantly, how many hall of famers hit fewer total home runs than Barry Bonds hit into the sea?

EDIT: Wikipedia has the answer: 35. The rest of San Fransisco have hit 33, and the rest of the Majors have hit 38.

18 HOFers hit 35 or fewer home runs.  

A few prominent ones: Ozzie Smith, Lloyd Waner, Rick Ferrell, and all three of the Tinkers-to-Evers-to-Chance guys.

Ray Schalk holds the record for fewest with 11.

• Like 1

If you think steroids makes someone a 500/500 player who is capable of .800+ slugging and .500+ on-base then I have to say you don't understand how steroids work..

Now, but it will make someone who is a 500/500 player into a 750/500 player.  Bonds was a HOF worthy player in the 1990's before steroids, but he needed them to get to Aaron. . . 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The HOF ballot is officially out

NEW

Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
John Smoltz
Carlos Delgado
Gary Sheffield
Nomar Garciaparra
Troy Percival
Rich Aurilia
Aaron Boone
Tony Clark
Jermaine Dye
Darin Erstad
Cliff Floyd
Brian Giles
Tom Gordon
Eddie Guardado
Jason Schmidt

RETURNERS (With last year's vote total)
Craig Biggio (74.8%)
Mike Piazza (62.2%)
Jeff Bagwell (54.3%)
Tim Raines (46.1%)
Roger Clemens (35.4%)
Barry Bonds (34.7%)
Lee Smith (29.9%)
Curt Schilling (29.2%)
Edgar Martinez (25.2%)
Alan Trammell (20.8%)
Mike Mussina (20.3%)
Jeff Kent (15.2%)
Fred McGriff (11.7%)
Mark McGwire (11.0%)
Larry Walker (10.2%)
Don Mattingly (8.2%)
Sammy Sosa (7.2%)

I'm guessing Johnson and Pedro are first ballot and Biggio joins them. Smoltz I can see going either way, he'll get in, but maybe not this year. I think Piazza gets more support, but still misses. Bagwell, Raines, Bonds and Clemens will miss again and I will get so mad...again.

My ballot:

Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza
Jeff Bagwell
Tim Raines
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Edgar Martinez
Alan Trammell

Just miss: Smoltz (do think he's a HoFer, I just ran out of room), Walker (sentimental pick, I know he's really not going to make it), McGwire (not sure what I think about him really), Schilling (another close pick), Mussina (HoVG?)

Jermaine Dye? For real? Jeez...that list of new guys is not great. Obviously Johnson, Pedro and Smoltz make it, but I wonder if any of them don't make it the first time around. I'm also guessing Biggio makes it in since he was so close last time.

The HOF really needs to change its rule so at least one person is required to be on a ballot. 

With 6 easy yeses (Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza, Johnson, Smoltz, Pedro) and at least 2-4 for whom a very solid case can be made, it's going to look really bad when only one person gets voted in because, Bill Conlin (oh wait, nevermind, he's dead)... Jay Mariotti turns in a blank ballot. 

Jermaine Dye? For real? Jeez...that list of new guys is not great. Obviously Johnson, Pedro and Smoltz make it, but I wonder if any of them don't make it the first time around. I'm also guessing Biggio makes it in since he was so close last time.

Unlike some other sports, baseball doesn't filter down their list of guys on the ballot at all.  If you played 10 years, you get on the ballot at least once.  Period.  That's how you end up with guys like Jim Deshaies getting a HOF vote.

Unlike some other sports, baseball doesn't filter down their list of guys on the ballot at all.  If you played 10 years, you get on the ballot at least once.  Period.  That's how you end up with guys like Jim Deshaies getting a HOF vote.

Not quite

A. BBWAA Screening Committee -- A Screening Committee consisting of baseball writers will be appointed by the BBWAA. This Screening Committee shall consist of six members, with two members to be elected at each Annual Meeting for a three-year term. The duty of the Screening Committee shall be to prepare a ballot listing in alphabetical order eligible candidates who (1) received a vote on a minimum of five percent (5%) of the ballots cast in the preceding election or (2) are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee.

So yes - baseball does filter down the list

These were some of the names left off the ballot

Jarrod Washburn
Mark Loretta
Kelvim Escobar
Kevin Millar
Paul Byrd

Not quite

A. BBWAA Screening Committee -- A Screening Committee consisting of baseball writers will be appointed by the BBWAA. This Screening Committee shall consist of six members, with two members to be elected at each Annual Meeting for a three-year term. The duty of the Screening Committee shall be to prepare a ballot listing in alphabetical order eligible candidates who (1) received a vote on a minimum of five percent (5%) of the ballots cast in the preceding election or (2) are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee.

Jarrod Washburn
Mark Loretta
Kelvim Escobar
Kevin Millar
Paul Byrd

That's what I get for not looking into how they've changed stuff in recent years.

Not quite

Jarrod Washburn
Mark Loretta
Kelvim Escobar
Kevin Millar
Paul Byrd

That's what I get for not looking into how they've changed stuff in recent years.

Well, actually this is not so recent.  It's been going on since 1968.  It's just that pretty much everyone who gets 10 years in gets approved by two people in the screening committee.

It's only really been with the Internet where ballots have been dissected more that people notice when certain players have not been up for a vote.

So far the one published ballot I have seen is Adam Rubin's (who covers the Mets for ESPNNY)

Bonds, Clemens, Bagwell, Biggio, Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz, Piazza, Schilling, Raines.

No explanation at all.  Nice.

Ya know, if a guy wanted to keep Johnson off his ballot because Randy intentionally tanked half a season in Seattle, I'd say that's just fine, go on with your badass self.  That would be a perfectly legit reason, IMHO.  But if you don't keep him off for that reason, and he's just not on your ballot for some other reason, you're an idiot.  He's got an all-time resume as in, not just  HOF'er but an elite-level within the HOF.

Come on people! If the process made sense it wouldn't be as much fun. . .  That must be a Seattle guy right? Sorry, but if your voting for a DH, he better have 3k hits to have a case for entry. I was arguing against Bagwell earlier(I think he's a shade below HOF worthy, but I wouldn't bat an eye if he gets in), but Edgar? A guy whose closest comp is Will Clark? Am I missing something?

Well this is wonderful.  A ballot sans Randy Johnson.  No explanation given other than...well...if you read the piece...then...yeah.

Remember kids: crusty old senile sportswriters have HOF votes and you don't.

Is this even an article? What's going on...where's the...I don't know...words and paragraphs and stuff? It's just a series of random lines. Did he have a stroke and they still let him write for the paper and we're supposed to be inspired? Because that would make sense.

At least he voted for Rock.