DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I don't get the outrage at Striker but then again I never heard him commentate in WWE. When I occasionally turn on WWE these days I am far more offended by everyone allowed to talk there since they don't sound legitimately excited about anything at all. Just sound like they are being fed lines and have to laugh when something is 100% not funny. At least Striker seems excited to be commentating and interested in what's going on.

• Like 1

I don't get the outrage at Striker but then again I never heard him commentate in WWE. When I occasionally turn on WWE these days I am far more offended by everyone allowed to talk there since they don't sound legitimately excited about anything at all. Just sound like they are being fed lines and have to laugh when something is 100% not funny. At least Striker seems excited to be commentating and interested in what's going on.

You didn't miss shit. "This title was defended here in 1974 in front of 500 people!" stories to the "THAT'S WHAT'S THEIR NAMES MOVES! I AM MARKING OUT BRO!" and don't forget the "I ROOT FOR THE BAD GUYS! I STILL HAVE AN OPINION AND THIS IS STILL A FREE COUNTRY!" He was so busy trying to prove he knew what the fuck he was trying about, it came across as fucking pretentious and him blowing the call on the big blow off angle at SSeries 2010 rightfully so sent him packing.

I remember one divas match. All I remember is it had Gail in it. She hit her dropkick from the top on someone:

Striker: GAIL WITH THE FLYING BOMB ANGELS DOUBLE FOOT STOMP!!

Lawler: Huh?

Cole: Why didn't you just call it a dropkick?

Lawler: That's what I would've called it.

• Like 1

I won't defend Striker's WWE tenure, he was as shit as all the other announcers not named William Regal when he was there; but here's the things I like about him in Lucha Underground:

- He's relatively soft spoken here, not doing that WWE thing where WE SELL EXCITEMENT BY TALKING LOUDER AND ALL OVER OTHER PEOPLE.

- While I don't think Vampiro adds anything other then the occasional "brother" I feel like the two actually have some back and forth with each other.

- He still is trying to be Encyclopedia Wrestle-tanica, but he's working things more in context as opposed to spouting random facts.

- He's really easy to just tune out when I just want to focus on watching wrestling.

Is he the best announcer ever?  No.  IS he better then anyone on TNA or the WWE?  Probably.

*Edit* and on a non-Striker note, Dario Cueto is my hero.

Episode 3 thoughts: The mini was fun in the opener if El Torito every got released he would be a major factor in this promotion. Catrina is smoking and it's a shame he got released or quit wwe because with NXT the way it is now she could be a major player there. The main event was a great spotfest and the 2nd best match of the promotion so far only behind Morrison/Ricochet. I don't know what the hell striker tried to call the spike reverse rana in the main event. Looking forward to next week with Sexy Star vs. Ivelisse.

I'm still catching up but, as a PWG fan, it's cool to see Rick Knox on national TV and getting a paycheck.  I think PWG's Fat Elvis-looking ref might be on Lucha Underground as well.

Matt Striker just referenced Psycho Realm.  Jesus Christ.

Chavo's hair transplant is looking pretty sweet.

Son of Havoc just looks stupid.  Matt Cross could work the biker gimmick without a mask and he'd look fine.  If they had reservations about his face with the gimmick, like it's not haggard enough, give him an eyepatch.  With the hood he just looks like Charlie Brown from Outta Town.

lol @ the Blue Demon skit where he was about to "lift weights" when Catrina interrupted him.  If she hadn't, he may have actually had to burn some calories.

Dario's accent: I thought he said Johnny Mundo and Big Rick would meet next week "in the minivan."  At least they're ride-sharing, I guess.

I'm still catching up but, as a PWG fan, it's cool to see Rick Knox on national TV and getting a paycheck.  I think PWG's Fat Elvis-looking ref might be on Lucha Underground as well.

He is one of the refs for Lucha Underground. As a PWG fan as well I second how cool it is to see Knox on national tv. In fact I order the newest PWG show on DVD last night.

FWIW, I thought Striker was actually really good on commentary the first year or so he had the gig in ECW... he did win the WON Best Announcer award that year. Had a good voice and enthusiasm, knew his stuff and tried to keep things interesting. I'm guessing he wilted with Vince in his ear after he switched to the live shows.

• Like 1

They introduce a title in this set of tapings, just gotta wait for it.

Tonight was the least noteworthy episode yet but that Fenix/Pentagon Jr. match was KILLER! I actually liked it better than the 3 way match although I may be alone. Total video game wrestling on crack style match. Pentagon Jr. got his shit in but his job was clearly to make Fenix look like a million bucks. Drago also looked great while Cuerno's debut came off a bit lackluster aside from the brutal tope. Still think Sexy Star is 100% miscast. The idea for the charachter is great but she is totally the wrong person to be playing the role since she is a very weak wrestler & much better as a heel than trying to play a sympathetic charachter. Main event was all Mundo. That WWE reject dude was the drizzling shits. I guess in WWE that shit doesn't stick out but on a show with wrestlers working 100mph he really stood out as someone who doesn't belong. Hope they end up writing him out down the line.

Wish Vamp would stop calling Drago "Dragon".

Wish Dario would get more time to speak!

They really shouldn't have brought up the differences between the luchadoras and the Divas because this was a very Divas-level match. Sexy Star isn't very good in the ring but Ivelisse carried her alright. I dig the fact that they are willing to use subtitles instead of either shoehorning poor English speakers into English promos or not letting them speak at all. If the fans don't like it, then change the channel or get used to reading the screen you tools. 

Fenix/Pentagon Jr. kind of bugged me in that Pentagon seemed to have no offense. For a large (in comparison to his opponent) rudo, he needed to beat down Fenix more. Instead it was really one-sided which was good for Fenix showing all his cool shit off, but I wanted more Pentagon. This would have been awesome if it was 2/3 falls and we could have the balance of that structure in place. King Cuerno seemed to work a better match with an even smaller dude in Drago doing the immovable object bit. That tope was indeed out of control and I need to watch the match again just for that. 

You know, I hate Vampiro as a wrestler and a person but he's pretty solid on commentary. I feel bad for him having to deal with Striker saying stupid shit like Drago reminding him of Muta when he started wearing masks. Yeah, the mask is similar but I see a tiny dude running around the ring at a million miles an hour, not doing dragon screws and sitting in a leglock in between for a whole match you stupid fuck. Watch him reference joshi instead of the Divas next women's match and there will be a beer can flying at my television. 

Totally missed the Mundo match. I'm with Robert, we need more Dario, after rewatching some of the third episode I'm totally sold on that guy. He kills it in his role and I can watch him chew the scenery all night.

Lucha Underground Episode #4 thoughts:

• The opening with the band was clowning.
• Sexy Star stinks. I think she has been on every episode so far and she's just not any good. At all. Not even a little bit. She was definitely out worked by Ivalissa. Best thing Star has done so far was take a chair shot from Chavo. She is the pits.
• Vampiro still stinks. No one has talked to him about the "brother" thing yet? I am not sure how many episodes are taped already & in the can but hopefully this get resolved.
• I don't speak Spanish so the addition of subtitled in-ring promos is not a positive for me. Minor complaint.
• Fenix Vs. Pentagon, Jr. was a cool display of athletic spots but nothing really more than that. Didn't come close to the 3-way from last week, unfortunately. This match felt overly choreographed & like they frequently had to slow down to let the other guy catch up with his next strike attempt or whatever. Didn't do it for me. The "wow factor" was gone from most of the more unique spots as we already saw them last week. Pentagon, Jr's shoulder wasn't even close to being down during the pinfall.
• I want to see Prince Puma Vs. Fenix. Is that going to happen?
• Nice fuckin' deer head lolololol
• Drago has a really cool look. Cuervo had a sick dropkick. Great pinfall by Drago at the end.
• Is Big Ryck's gimmick that he's a pro-wrestling Suge Knight? Ha! Striker even mentioned it. Main event wasn't really anything good but we knew it wouldn't be when they told us Big Ryck was going to be in it to close the show last week. The cut to the Puma ghetto beating in the locker room was unexpected as was a table spot.

Episode 4 thoughts Ivelisse carried Sexy Star in the match and I hope Ivelisse stays around for the rest of the season. Fenix vs. Petagon Jr. wasn't near the level of the 3 way on the episode before. The Drago pin was cool as hell and the main event wasn't good but the cut to backstage to show Puma getting jumped was good thus setting up matches for the future.

• Like 1

My favorite thing about this show is that it's not just pretaped, it was created, written, and taped with a story in mind. They are taking us from point A to point B. At no point have I felt like 'oh they're burying that guy' or 'man he is underutilized' or any of that armchair 'why is this happening to Cesaro?' stuff that we can't help but go through as fans, because everything everyone is doing serves the story. 

It's a refreshing approach to wrestling, and it's about time our sport caught up to a generation obsessed with Game of Thrones and True Detective. 

• Like 1

It makes me wonder what it was like to watch the old St. Louis wrestling of lore, where Sam Muchnick would plan out his shows months in advance to follow through on storylines and move things along properly. That level of micromanagement would be interesting to see in progress. (of course, we do have a bunch of St. Louis available from the late '70s/early 80s and if you haven't seen it, get to it)

im three episodes in and it gets better each show. I've always liked Chavo so I'm glad he is getting a chance to be a top guy here I know most people dont enjoy him when he isnt with Eddie or rey buy he has done pretty well her with this mean streak. I really dug pentagon Jr too.

I cant wait for El Patron