DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

After watching BvS, I am astounded by how well Marvel Studios has successfully taken a dated and polarizing character like Captain America and established him as near completely altruistic and admirable hero even in materiel with a darker tone and kept him socially relevant while DC Studios has failed abysmally in doing the same for Superman.

I think DC needs to take more ownership over their IPs and reel in the poetic license.

• Like 13

On 3/28/2016 at 1:10 PM, J.T. said:

After watching BvS, I am astounded by how well Marvel Studios has successfully taken a dated and polarizing character like Captain America and established him as near completely altruistic and admirable hero even in materiel with a darker tone and kept him socially relevant while DC Studios has failed abysmally in doing the same for Superman.

I think DC needs to take more ownership over their IPs and reel in the poetic license.

Captain America is my favourite MCU character.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Captain America is my favourite MCU character.

Mine, too, but we'll see how that shakes out once Spider Man is re-introduced.  I'm a divorced dad, so I also really like Scott Lang / Ant-Man as well because I identify with what he has to deal with as a person.

It is incredible how the MCU Captain America is far better in his role of being the best of us than the DCU Superman is.  The Snyder camp continues to get Supes wrong.

Giving comic book Cap's more jingoistic character traits to MCU Tony Stark really helped make Cap a more acceptable character and Marvel still managed to avoid making Tony a complete tool by showing that Tony's arrogance and bravado is just a defense mechanism.

MCU has done a much better job at humanizing their characters and it really makes a difference.

• Like 3

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 10:58 AM, The Natural said:

TjBJkY1E.jpg

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Craig H said:

Looks like he just saw Batman v Superman

Nah, he's getting ready to go to the theater now.  From the expression on his face, he's read a few reviews.

• Like 1

Sony has registered Spidermanthehomecoming or some shit as a domain.. and nerds are going apeshit that Sony will adopt the Homecoming storyline aka the SAGA OF THE BLACK SPIDER SUIT.

... when the simpler conclusion to draw is that the character of Spider-Man is leaving his stand-alone story universe and "coming home" to the MCU.

• Like 1

io9 is a piece of shit site but thankfully that's just a list of reviews I've already read. All the reviews I've read so far, a lot of similar points being made, no spoilers by the way. But just in case..

Spoiler

- Spider-Man is awesome

- Black Panther is done very well and is a serious character

- Most serious Marvel comic movie yet, similar in tone to Winter Soldier

- Plot is similar to Batman v. Superman but the writing is more coherent. Guy from Comicbookmovies.com said it's a lot like BvS but he liked BvS, this was better.  

- Action sequences are amazing especially that airport scene which we've only seen minor footage in the trailers

- Villain is forgettable,  non-factor

- Not as many quips and jokes being thrown around

- Each character has at least one little moment of shine

• Like 1