DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

The first screenings for Age of Ultron for some press happened last night. Here's an article compiling some Twitter reactions. There are no story spoilers in here, it's just everybody saying "Yay" or "Nay". Spoiler: Everyone says "Yay"! So I'm pumped. Strangely, a lot of love for Hawkeye in here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-age-of-ultron-early-buzz/

Wooo. Ordered my Avengers: Age of Ultron tickets for opening night as soon as I knew they were on sale in the middle of March. For years at the cinema I go to, you could sit where you want as its first come, first served. Now its assigned seating. Both methods have pros/cons. Looking forward to the film.

And damn, I now hate all Avengers trailers.

While I am stoked about the Hulkbuster Iron Man vs. Hulk fight, I was pissed to see that short clip of Scarlet Witch using her powers to apparently mesmerize the Black Widow.

That is what Ultron means by "we can tear them apart from the inside." Plot spoiled..

Ummmmmm.... Wasn't that spoiled like 6 months ago?

It was for stupid people.  I was smart enough to stay away from all Avengers trailers until last week.  Now I am dumb, too.

Wife and I finally watched Winter Soldier. It was awesome as advertised.

Glad you both liked it.

Oh well

It seemed so specific that it seemed like they were doing a head nod about someone...

And it's a good thing I didn't check IMDB before the movie as, yet again, they weren't afraid to spoil a big plot point (for those of us who had been unfamiliar with the Winter Soldier story)

You had to be careful. I remember Marvel spoiled the Winter Soldier's identity in a video. A blurb from a review of the film on Rotten Tomatoes spoilt the big Robert Redford plot development.

Wow, you went into that not knowing who Winter Soldier was? You are a lucky SOB.

Glad you loved it.

My Dad didn't know but figured it out at the screening before the reveal. There were gasps at the screening when the Winter Soldier loses his googles/lower face cover in action and you see him unmasked.

EDIT: A best friend of mine didn't know either until he watched it on DVD.

I'm not a comic book reader, so I had no idea, and I still didn't know until they said the name.

• Like 1

I was just about to say, either Spader stepped on the set directly after filming a scene for Blacklist or he's taken the Method acting thing to a whole new level.

Also is it just me or does Quicksilver look like Seth Rollins' douchier EDM club obsessed brother?

I have never given a shit about Ant Man.  Can somebody explain why I should? As a kid, in my comic reading days, I just did not care about any hero whose power was that he could get tiny.  What's the big deal about that? 

To be fair, I think that Saturday Night Live sketch where Garrett Morris played Ant Man and everybody called him out for being lame soured me on him, much like Super Friends destroyed any hopes of ever taking Aqua Man seriously.

tumblr_m7aaephv7d1r9prsfo3_250.gif

avengers-age-of-ultron-costumes-names.jp

This better lead to a deleted scene on the home release where someone switched the tags and none of the heroes were wise to it.

Also, I just want to know which "Ant Man" to believe in ... the earlier trailer that made it look like shit, or this one that makes it look less like shit.

Finally, I think I've figured out my love for the Flash. Thanks, Danny.

I'm really still not all that invested Ant-Man at all.  Not that it's going to bomb or anything.  I'm just not happy about the direction of the film.  Only got Scott Lang.  We are never getting Janet Van Dyne in the mainline MCU.  It's sort of a downer.  I partly blame it on Edgar Wright.  And man, I think Edgar Wright is a great director, but I was never keen on his direction for the film.

Look, Thor went through a lot of changes at Marvel Studios.  Originally, the movie was only going to be set in Asgard.  That plot simply would not have worked.  

Not to mention, the plot for Ant-Man basically looks like a rehash of Iron Man just with some other players.  

Two new clips for Age of Ultron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPJ90rSpFvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFtMIBwKho

I have never given a shit about Ant Man.  Can somebody explain why I should? As a kid, in my comic reading days, I just did not care about any hero whose power was that he could get tiny.  What's the big deal about that? 

To be fair, I think that Saturday Night Live sketch where Garrett Morris played Ant Man and everybody called him out for being lame soured me on him, much like Super Friends destroyed any hopes of ever taking Aqua Man seriously.

The deal with Ant Man, traditionally, was that it was about the fact he was a super scientist, not his power. No one cares that Reed Richards can stretch. They care that he's Reed Richards. Likewise Beast. In a world with Wolverine, Beast doing Beasty things isn't a very big deal. Hank McCoy doing sensitive scientist things, though...

In the DC TV note we were talking about how ill-defined Ray Palmer was. Pym is anything but. He's got this massive hubris, this massive chip on his shoulder, this massive inferiority complex. In a world with Reed Richards and Tony Stark and Bruce Banner, he's only Hank Pym. He became Giant Man from Ant Man, even though it put a terrible strain on his body, because he couldn't stand next to Thor and Hulk and Iron Man and just be Ant Man. He makes mistakes (Ultron, Yellowjacket, slapping Jan, etc) and he overshoots in trying to redeem himself. 

But the fact that he's going to keep trying ends up being downright heroic. 

Lang is a little more nebulous but he has things going for him.

• Like 2

If only there was a spin that could be put on a dude with massive massive massive issues whose power is to get itty bitty bitty ... some kind of symbolism or some shit.