DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

At this point I'd settle for him switching to actual wrestling gear.

Cena repeatedly loses due to opponents using Cena's shorts to help them execute moves. Comes out in actual gear to stop that.

Ok. Probably not.

Or Cena go with a Mil Mascaras entrance by wearing his shorts to the ring, before unzipping them to reveal a variety of possible tights.

Styles or Lee?

I like Cena quite a bit. I hate his character and I think someone else could benefit from beating Rusev. I also think they should be trying to push these newer guys and that it's time for Cena to take a step back. I think LOLCENAWINS has driven people away and is one of the reasons why the network isn't a success. With that said, he's had another great year in-ring so he's still okay with me.

Why would anyone want to lose to anyone but Cena? He's big match, the only real star left on the active roster. It's ok to lose to him on a big stage and recover. It's not ok to lose to the Duck Dynasty guy with a cup of coffee in the big time, no mic skills, and a history of being beat by the Usos.

• Like 1

I mentioned this in the HIAC thread-

Re. Russev's first loss - I may be in the minority here, but I actually wouldn't mind his first loss be something handed to him by another heel that starts Russev on a face turn.  Others have mentioned him going the face route, and I could actually see it working.  The pro-Russia/anti-America thing only has a shelf life for so long, and they could do pretty much the same schtick but just toned down the jingoism and focused more on him being an unstoppable brute and not so much the nationalism.

Cena as the ace partnering up with a young-up-and-comer as the latter's mentor and winning the tag belts would actually be a super-interesting way to use him on the show. Cena/Zayn for tag champs in 2015!

I'd love this if they managed to do some kind of pro wrestling All About Eve storyline.

• Like 1

What I'd really like to see with John Cena is for him to win the World Title from Lesnar with the F-5 at Survivor Series.  

Then Daniel Bryan comes back and loses to him, clean.  Then Bryan will bring in/manage a variety of wrestlers to take down John Cena: start with Cesaro, then Itami, Finn Balor, Sami Zayn and Kevin Steen whom Cena will steamroll clean.  Then he will bring in outsiders like Adam Cole, The Briscoes, ACH whom he will also beat clean.  Then have him go through Daniel Bryan's International Army of Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Minoru Suzuki, and beat each with their own moves.  

Finally, Daniel Bryan gets down on his knees and begs John Cena for forgiveness, John Cena bestows upon him his very own "Hustle, Loyalty and Respect" t-shirt which Bryan will wear and become "Mini-Cena" why he runs around doing the "You can't see me" gesture and repeatedly screwing up, at which point Cena will hit him with his hat like the Skipper and Gilligan.  Eventually, Bryan reveals it was all a swerve and challenges Cena at Wrestlemania, at which Cena beats him again.

The next night Cena loses his title to Randy Orton on Raw with an RKO Out of Nowhere (WWE jumping in on the internet trend when it's at its hottest!).

I would greatly enjoy that sequence of events.

• Like 8

What I'd really like to see with John Cena is for him to win the World Title from Lesnar with the F-5 at Survivor Series.

Then Daniel Bryan comes back and loses to him, clean. Then Bryan will bring in/manage a variety of wrestlers to take down John Cena: start with Cesaro, then Itami, Finn Balor, Sami Zayn and Kevin Steen whom Cena will steamroll clean. Then he will bring in outsiders like Adam Cole, The Briscoes, ACH whom he will also beat clean. Then have him go through Daniel Bryan's International Army of Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Minoru Suzuki, and beat each with their own moves.

Finally, Daniel Bryan gets down on his knees and begs John Cena for forgiveness, John Cena bestows upon him his very own "Hustle, Loyalty and Respect" t-shirt which Bryan will wear and become "Mini-Cena" why he runs around doing the "You can't see me" gesture and repeatedly screwing up, at which point Cena will hit him with his hat like the Skipper and Gilligan. Eventually, Bryan reveals it was all a swerve and challenges Cena at Wrestlemania, at which Cena beats him again.

The next night Cena loses his title to Randy Orton on Raw with an RKO Out of Nowhere (WWE jumping in on the internet trend when it's at its hottest!).

I would greatly enjoy that sequence of events.

I should just stop watching wrestling.

Cena as the ace partnering up with a young-up-and-comer as the latter's mentor and winning the tag belts would actually be a super-interesting way to use him on the show. Cena/Zayn for tag champs in 2015!

I'd love this if they managed to do some kind of pro wrestling All About Eve storyline.

This makes so much sense and will actually be interesting...so this means WWE will not do it. Stephanie McMahon and the commentators all pretty much said anyone who teams with Cena is going against the odds and putting themselves on the shit list. If I was Cena, I'd go down to NXT and see who wants a shot a glory? Who REALLY wants it? Who wants to make an impact. Sami would be a good choice as would Hideo and Finn Balor. Toss in The Lucha Dragons and a 6 on 6 would be beyond awesome. Team Authority of course would need to be Rollins/Orton/Kane/HHH/Harper/Rowan.

Give this SS main event 35 minutes and watch the praise roll in. The rest of the crowd can suck a big dick, but this will save the entire show.

Cena/Balor/Zayn/Calisto/Sin Cara/KENTA vs. Rollins/Orton/Kane/HHH/Harper/Rowan

At this point I'd settle for him switching to actual wrestling gear.

Cena repeatedly loses due to opponents using Cena's shorts to help them execute moves. Comes out in actual gear to stop that.

Ok. Probably not.

Or Cena go with a Mil Mascaras entrance by wearing his shorts to the ring, before unzipping them to reveal a variety of possible tights.

Bonus points if the tights are hiked up to his nipples.

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to lose to anyone but Cena? He's big match, the only real star left on the active roster. It's ok to lose to him on a big stage and recover. It's not ok to lose to the Duck Dynasty guy with a cup of coffee in the big time, no mic skills, and a history of being beat by the Usos.

This is a vicious circle. Cena's the only star on the roster because he's the only one that gets consistently presented as one, so instead of presenting other people as stars, we just don't bother and book everyone else to job to the Usos for four straight months, which of course means that the job guy isn't a real star, unlike Cena of course. 

You can lose to Ziggler and bounce back. You can lose to Lesnar and come back. You can lose yo Big Show and come back. You could even come back from an Orton loss. But once you lose a series with Cena that's it. Your done. You'll never win the world title and if you do it'll just bea matter of time before superman comes knocking. It's like playing Mortal Kombat 2. Once you get to the minotaur dude you know it's game over. May as well just hit reset.

Styles or Lee?

Oh man can we segue this to some AJ Styles hate?  I'm watching BOLA and on night one the Styles match stands out like a sore thumb as far as style and effort go.  His match with Brian Myers is smack in the middle of some awesome stuff and it just kills the show for a while.  You get Elgin and Ciampa in a crazy slugfest, O'Reilly and Gulak in an insane technical match, and in between, Stylish Allen Jones doing the same old shit he's done for the past 10 years, absolutely nothign new, just coasting by with his his early-2000s tired-ass 4-5 indy spotz.  Way to bring it, 2014 Honky Tonk Man.  And then he botched the finish and had to hit his pathetic finisher twice after the match to get his heat back brother.

This is a vicious circle. Cena's the only star on the roster because he's the only one that gets consistently presented as one, so instead of presenting other people as stars, we just don't bother and book everyone else to job to the Usos for four straight months, which of course means that the job guy isn't a real star, unlike Cena of course. 

I know a lot of people say this, and I agree to an extend. But as talented as the current roster is, how many people truly have any kind of star power in them? Like if the WWE was push them hard, they would instantly get over and make them some real money?

Which is why I am such an advocate of Wade Barrett. He came from no where in 2010, got people to buy those ugly as Nexus shirts (wish I wasn't cheap and got the Nexus hoodie :( ) , got destroyed and had to start from zero, but still managed to make people believe that he is gonna be a star because he carries himself like a fucking star. He is still the best reaction when they are in England/UK and can work a US crowd well.

'Good' workers are a dime a dozen. Being able to make money for a company is what makes you valuable.

STL-area indy shows in November:

Saturday 11/1:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO
Saturday 11/8:  MMWA in St. Louis, MO (South Broadway Athletic Club)
Saturday 11/15:  SICW in East Carondelet, IL (Marty Jannetty appearing); WLW in Troy, MO
Saturday 11/22:  MMWA-SICW in Cahokia, IL (benefit for two local retired wrestlers whose house burned down)

But that's the whole thing. No one has any idea who has star power and who doesn't until someone is given the opportunity.

That's why all of the arguments about who should and shouldn't be pushed end up going around in circles because at the end of the day Cena gets 95% of the opportunities.

I know a lot of people say this, and I agree to an extend. But as talented as the current roster is, how many people truly have any kind of star power in them? Like if the WWE was push them hard, they would instantly get over and make them some real money?

Which is why I am such an advocate of Wade Barrett. He came from no where in 2010, got people to buy those ugly as Nexus shirts (wish I wasn't cheap and got the Nexus hoodie :( ) , got destroyed and had to start from zero, but still managed to make people believe that he is gonna be a star because he carries himself like a fucking star. He is still the best reaction when they are in England/UK and can work a US crowd well.

'Good' workers are a dime a dozen. Being able to make money for a company is what makes you valuable.

Ha

Del Rio=boring.

Ziggler=terrible

Bland English midcarder =next mega star.

Ha

Del Rio=boring.

Ziggler=terrible

Bland English midcarder =next mega star.

I don't know, I kind of agree with her. Del Rio was capable of getting good heat when they let him but Barrett's work during the Nexus stuff is really, really great from that point of view. At least, on the mic anyway; he has arenas full of kids screaming for Cena and his buddies to kill the Nexus off. I don't think he's a mega-star in waiting or anything (or that's what she's saying) but he had potential to be an over act who could linger around the top of the card. I suppose that's Sheamus' role, and he's a better worker than Barrett, but they both suffer from WWE's approach to building guys up. Both guys carry themselves well and have good looks, Barrett is better on the mic but Sheamus is a step above in-ring. I don't know why it's so crazy to suggest there was room for them both around the top of the card considering fucking Kane is still hanging around.

I don't get the Ziggler stuff because I think, outside of the bumping, he isn't really great but whatever, he has an obvious connection with the crowd so I have no idea why they don't run with him more. Or maybe that nonsense with MITB and Cena was their idea of running with them? I think a lot of guys on this current roster could be, at least, viable draws if you gave them the chance. Cesaro, Sheamus, Barrett, Ziggler, Ambrose, Rusev, The Usos and Wyatt/Harper are all capable of being over, credible acts and have been in the past. And in Rusev's case, he is now, perhaps more than anyone. It's what they do in the next few months that will make or break him and I have absolutely no confidence in their ability to do it right.