DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I get what Caley is saying and I have started to just fast-forward through a bunch of shit but on the other hand..  most of us are mentally ill when it comes to wrestling. I started watching wrestling when I was like 4 or 5-years old and I've only taken a couple breaks here and there so there's a lot of time invested in this.  I don't want to have to stop watching. It's not the same as saying "you know what, fuck this new show on CBS" and turning it off. 

Creative is a HUGE issue but the part that fucks me up is that they follow up something awesome or interesting with weeks of bullshit. I wish they were more consistent because if the show was just all around terrible like 2000 WCW I would just turn it off and give up on it.. 

• Like 2

I almost never watch Raw live. I do a pretty good job following WWE though. If there's something that sounds good, I catch it later in the week on youtube. I caught the best attire Countdown today. I heard the first half an hour of Hornwsoggle on Jericho too. I'll watch NXT tomorrow AND the JBL and Cole Show!. I follow it all pretty closely, but I'm not super invested. I fist bumped when Goldust and Stardust won the titles, sure, but it's rarely something I let upset me or inconvenience my life. Basically, the moral of the story is that if you don't follow WWE on your terms, you're likely to get burnt by them. If you do, though, it can add something enjoyable to your life without adding too much grief as well.

Creative will always be ultimately bad, because they are a bunch of paranoid, overtaxed, poor bastards in a hostile environment, ultimately trying to please a fickle and frankly, insane, god, and a ridiculous pantheon of demigods who are working against one another and with all sorts of their own personal problems. 

You take what you like from it. You grumble through the missed opportunities (yes, we're your support group; not the one you need but the one you deserve) and you watch some Negro Casas and Rush (or Tanahashi or Timothy Thatcher or Ricochet or some god damn Buddy Rose or whatever floats your boat) on the side and it's all good.

• Like 1

The idea of Vince turning Bryan because he was too over (or any stupid decision like that) reminds me of DJ Request.

"Hey man, put the strap on that Bryan kid! YES! YES! Here's money for a shirt!"

"You got it pal!"

*I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD!*

"No one tells the boss what to book...."

Could WWE have gotten away with booking Goldberg(back when he came in) like a face version of today's Brock Lesnar? Maybe more dates, like he only wrestles on PPV or something.

Could WWE have gotten away with booking Goldberg(back when he came in) like a face version of today's Brock Lesnar? Maybe more dates, like he only wrestles on PPV or something.

I think so. There's value in these limited date guys, and I think that 'PART TIMER' needs to lose the negative. Brock Lesnar rarely showing up makes him a SUPER FINAL BOSS. It would have given Goldberg his mystique back a bit instead of just being another guy on a stacked WWE roster.

Would it be a problem that a major face wasn't in the trenches every week like an Austin or a Cena? No TV matches. No house show matches. I wonder if a face can be sustainable in the same way Brock is as a heel.

The house show absence would be tough for them to swallow. They barely have enough draws to support one troupe, much less two if your top face isn't there. As far as TV, I think the build up to creating the number one contender could sustain it.

If I Were In Charge Of The WWE, part #1345:

I would like to see a change in the wrestler's contracts, in which they only wrestler 10 months out of the year. The 60 day break would mostly be scripted in, and could be continuous, or two 30 day stretches, or any combination to account for storylines, injuries, etc. The workers would get paid an adjusted downside guarantee and are still under contract. Corporate promotion and use of social media might have to be limited depending on the "reason" they are on leave. The Bray Wyatt debate reminded me of this idea. When implemented, these sabbaticals could be used to give a stale or over-exposed  character a break and/or a possible tweaking, as well to sell an injury angle or rehab legit injuries/burnout. If someone has been jobbed too much, they could be seen as a threat again upon their return. It gives the fans a break, rotates the lineup and maybe lets new workers get a chance on the roster. Surprise returns would have to be carefully kayfabed but if someone is shooting a movie (for example) there is no reason that it can't be acknowledged. This has a whiff of the rotation of the old territorial model.

whaddya think?,

RAF

• Like 1

I always thought Bray Wyatt's gimmick would hold him back.  I wouldn't call it heady but it's clearly too difficult for some.  Not necessarily the fans either because Cole never has any clue what he's talking about with him referring to Sister Abigail as if she was Bray's actual sister.  And I remember Meltzer or Alvarez thinking that she was the rocking chair.

He seems overproduced to me.  The unnecessary tease before his entrance.  The stupid kids in the Cena feud.  The entirety of the lame Jericho feud.

He's a big guy who can move and brawl.  He just needs to punch a dude in the face and do a splash.

Guys, I'll admit, I just watch Dean Ambrose on Raw and skip the rest. I try to watch Bray, Bo and Rusev too. I never watch Main Event or Smackdown. Why should I? I miss being a young fan. I miss the excitement I had watching Wrestlemania XIX, my first Wrestlemania. Getting old blows.

I have had no problems dropping WWE from my viewing schedule for years at a time(2007-2010). The problem is now they have Ambrose, Rollins, Bray, Harper, Cesaro, Lesnar, Cena, Usos, Goldust, Bryan, and a shit ton of talented guys coming up through NXT. The difference between now and years past is the talent is there now. There's literally no excuse not to move in a new direction, and give these talented young guys the ball.

I forgot to mention Barrett who was imo the best guy in the company in the weeks before his injury. There's far too much talent on the current roster to be putting on mediocre shows.

• Like 2

If I Were In Charge Of The WWE, part #1345:

I would like to see a change in the wrestler's contracts, in which they only wrestler 10 months out of the year. The 60 day break would mostly be scripted in, and could be continuous, or two 30 day stretches, or any combination to account for storylines, injuries, etc. The workers would get paid an adjusted downside guarantee and are still under contract. Corporate promotion and use of social media might have to be limited depending on the "reason" they are on leave. The Bray Wyatt debate reminded me of this idea. When implemented, these sabbaticals could be used to give a stale or over-exposed character a break and/or a possible tweaking, as well to sell an injury angle or rehab legit injuries/burnout. If someone has been jobbed too much, they could be seen as a threat again upon their return. It gives the fans a break, rotates the lineup and maybe lets new workers get a chance on the roster. Surprise returns would have to be carefully kayfabed but if someone is shooting a movie (for example) there is no reason that it can't be acknowledged. This has a whiff of the rotation of the old territorial model.

whaddya think?,

RAF

What about using social media to keep in contact with a wrestler's rats? Is that ok? Don't be a monster.

But I noticed a new gimmick name for him is "The Freedom Fighter" and I'm worried. It seems he wants to start introducing alittle bit of being an openly gay wrestler into his gimmick. Which COULD BE awesome. If it was handled with class and respect and avoiding stereotypes..... But then I remember this is WWE we're talking about.

• Like 1

Would it be a problem that a major face wasn't in the trenches every week like an Austin or a Cena? No TV matches. No house show matches. I wonder if a face can be sustainable in the same way Brock is as a heel.

Maybe if it's the right guy. Goldberg in 2002 might have worked. Much like Scraylo said where Brock is the SUPER FINAL BOSS. Imagine some cocky heel mouthing off and issuing an open challenge. Out comes Goldberg who we haven't seen in 2 months and destroys him totally. It's like Honkey and Warrior times 10.

• Like 1

The house show absence would be tough for them to swallow. They barely have enough draws to support one troupe, much less two if your top face isn't there. As far as TV, I think the build up to creating the number one contender could sustain it.

Which is why the IC and US titles should be re-established as important! If the World and (US or Tag) Champs are on the A-loop, the IC and (US or Tag) Champs should be built up as strong enough to be the title matches on the B-loop. Sheamus as the US champ is a decent enough idea if he actually defends it, but honestly, this idea just hit me: John Cena - Intercontinental Champion. If he can't be bothered to put *guys* over anymore, at least let him put a fucking strap over.

Guys, I'll admit, I just watch Dean Ambrose on Raw and skip the rest. I try to watch Bray, Bo and Rusev too. I never watch Main Event or Smackdown. Why should I? I miss being a young fan. I miss the excitement I had watching Wrestlemania XIX, my first Wrestlemania. Getting old blows.

XIX was your first, and you think "getting old blows?" Damn, man..

• Like 6

Maybe if it's the right guy. Goldberg in 2002 might have worked. Much like Scraylo said where Brock is the SUPER FINAL BOSS. Imagine some cocky heel mouthing off and issuing an open challenge. Out comes Goldberg who we haven't seen in 2 months and destroys him totally. It's like Honkey and Warrior times 10.

I might be misremembering™, but I feel like Goldberg once answered Rodney Mack and Teddy Long's White Boy Challenge?