DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Remember when college kids at sports games were doing Yes chants and posting them to Youtube?

They had someone over and known with the general public.

As Bryan and Dave pointed out on WOL this week, there is and has been a great debate within WWE over whether or not Daniel Bryan is over or just his chant.

Dave thinks that WWE will interpret Brie's YES chant on Monday as the chant being over, not DB.

Same song and dance as nine months ago.  

Remember when college kids at sports games were doing Yes chants and posting them to Youtube?

As Bryan and Dave pointed out on WOL this week, there is and has been a great debate within WWE over whether or not Daniel Bryan is over or just his chant.

Dave thinks that WWE will interpret Brie's YES chant on Monday as the chant being over, not DB.

It's not an all or nothing type of thing, I'm sure there is a good percentage of the crowd that are doing the "Yes!" chant because others are doing it. 

This is when The Wyatts returned to NXT after making their debut and decimating Kane. This is what Bray will do as a face. It's one of his very best promos. (It's at the end of the match, when Harper/Rowan destroy Aiden English).

All that needs to be done for him to get over as a face is for the GLURRRRRT to happen during an Authority or Heyman/Brock promo.

• Like 1

How is it unthinkable for Wyatt to get over as a face? He's cool. People like cool characters. They like Walter White and they like Jaime Lannister. Remember when Walter poisoned a little boy and Jaime banged his sister and crippled a kid? Me too. Those guys are so awesome. 

Damn, if those guys go solo for a while, the day that Harper is getting his ass kicked around by some random group of toughs and the arena goes GLURRRRT, the place is going to come unglued. 

How was Bray/Cena a tepid feud? What the hell were any of you people watching?

That feud was wonderful and terrific. Bray did so many awesome things -- epic promos, making Cena wear a sheep's mask, the children's choir, trying to kill Lawler, etc. He led a chorus of people singing The Whole World at WrestleMania and the night after Raw and a bunch of other times, too.

The matches were weird because they tried to do stuff that was completely different. The WM match was a completely different pace and experimental structure from anything else. They tried to differentiate the match from the rest of the show. If anything was wrong with that match, it's that it (like most things with Bray) went over everyone's heads, including every smark in the world. It was the same with the cage match. They ended a match with a demon child terrorizing John Cena. That is so friggin' great and weird. And that Last Man Standing match was one of the best matches of the year and was completely awesome. 

People are totally nuts if you think the Bray/Bryan feud didn't get a reaction. Bryan finally turning on Bray and leading the YES! chant on top of the cage was the best pop of the decade. You don't get that reaction without an antagonist who can give the babyface that type of reaction.

The Jericho feud just didn't have anything really crazy. Look at the reaction when The Wyatts GLLURRRRT went off in their first segment chant. It got a THIS IS AWESOME chant. People wanted to see insane stuff with Bray and one of the best promos and legendary wrestlers in WWE history. They didn't get it. My idea of what would have made that angle awesome at the start -- Bray takes out Jericho's throat and prevents him from talking. Deny the fans Jericho's catchphrases. That denial is what worked with the Bryan angle. The reaction they would have gotten when Jericho could finally talk would have been terrific. Oh well.

If Bray's matches and promos are going over everyone's head then that is a problem that he and the writers have to do something about.  If the fans don't understand it, then it's pointless to do it.  There is some room for depth in wrestling, but if you over complicate it or tell stories that no one can relate too, then it's a waste of time and resources.

It's not an all or nothing type of thing, I'm sure there is a good percentage of the crowd that are doing the "Yes!" chant because others are doing it. 

True but when the general public is making videos of college kids doing it at sporting events you have tapped into the public consciousness outside of the IWC.  When that happens you have to run with it.  

There is a real sense of irony here since the WWE tried to create a $9.99 meme for the Network but ignored the Yes! meme.

You mean the chant that Brie often encourages the fans to do?

How is it unthinkable for Wyatt to get over as a face? He's cool. People like cool characters. They like Walter White and they like Jaime Lannister. Remember when Walter poisoned a little boy and Jaime banged his sister and crippled a kid? Me too. Those guys are so awesome.

Damn, if those guys go solo for a while, the day that Harper is getting his ass kicked around by some random group of toughs and the arena goes GLURRRRT, the place is going to come unglued.

And killed his king.

Maybe this belongs in the old grumpy guy thread, but I admire Gregg's enthusiasm. I don't see what was revolutionary in his match with Cena, nor do I look at Wyatt's promos as over my head. I do see a guy with good mic skills and entrance that (despite excuses) has had his single matches fall flat as far as crowd reaction goes...not the gimmick before or after, the actual silence during the in-ring that is heard in the back. He has good fat guy offense and I like him, but at some point that falls on him.

That Wyatts/Cena feud wasn't over anyone's head. This is pro wrestling, not quantum mechanics. Bray wanted to corrupt Cena by forcing him to do things outside of his typical "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect" creed. By getting Cena to break his creed, Bray would win even if he lost the actual matches.

So of course, Cena overcomes him again and again, and oh, Bray tried to turn the children against Cena so Cena would lose faith that his "HLR" credo was still relevant in comparison to Bray's less noble philosophy, but that didn't work either in the end.

Don't confuse "didn't understand it" with "understood it and recognized how much the execution sucked."

• Like 2

How was Bray/Cena a tepid feud? What the hell were any of you people watching?

That feud was wonderful and terrific. Bray did so many awesome things -- epic promos, making Cena wear a sheep's mask, the children's choir, trying to kill Lawler, etc. He led a chorus of people singing The Whole World at WrestleMania and the night after Raw and a bunch of other times, too.

The matches were weird because they tried to do stuff that was completely different. The WM match was a completely different pace and experimental structure from anything else. They tried to differentiate the match from the rest of the show. If anything was wrong with that match, it's that it (like most things with Bray) went over everyone's heads, including every smark in the world. It was the same with the cage match. They ended a match with a demon child terrorizing John Cena. That is so friggin' great and weird.

All of that stuff involving the kids was way over the top and awful, and for the duration of the feud he ruined every one of his promos by singing for an excruciating entire minute at the end. Bray was definitely at his least enjoyable during the Cena feud, as far as I'm concerned - I'd take the ho-hum Jericho feud over it all day.

• Like 1

I'm still really baffled/amused at the great amount of people who are absolutely INFURIATED about WWE and Vince and WWE creative ("Fuck this company!") and still tune in every Monday night to complain about it afterwards.  I'll be honest, I've been fairly bored with stuff lately, aside from Dean Ambrose, so I've stopped tuning in except to catch his segments.  I know I've made this exact same post before, but if you HATE WWE so MUCH, stop watching it.  There is so much easy to access wrestling out there, that tuning in every Monday then going on a message board and ranting and raving about "Fuck this company" and "Super Cena" and "Same old bullshit" is like being a big music fan who listens to Top 40 radio and rants all day about "Arianna Grande is terrible! Fuck this radio station!" or a film fan who goes to a new blockbuster every weekend and complains "When is Hollywood going get behind a Tim Blake Nelson drama instead of all these big budget action movies!?!"

WWE booking/pushes annoy you?  Turn it off.  I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's pretty simple.  But endless page after page of "GODDAMN WWE! GODDAMN VINCE!" is so tiring.

• Like 5

I actually haven't seen RAW in months. The only way I know what's going on is

a. you guys and the RAW thread, which honestly is shorter and much more entertaining, and

b. on video packages during the PPVs, since I watch the PPVs just on the principle that when I was a kid, me and my siblings would spend every PPV listening to the scrambled out channel the PPV was on and follow them by audio, so to have the chance to see all of them for less than two dollars per PPV is something that 12-year-old-me would be pissed off that 32-year-old-me wasn't taking advantage of.

I actually find my favorite shows to be NXT (easily the best weekly show on TV in the U.S., and it isn't close unless the AAA show on El Rey is really good), Main Event, and Superstars, and those latter two just have fairly good ten to fifteen minute matches with wrestlers that get more proficient at WWE style each week and thus almost always put on a good show. 

That doesn't mean that I can't lament the missed opportunities that the company has gone through with the Wyatts, Cesaro, etc., right? Or else what is a message board for?

• Like 1

I'm still really baffled/amused at the great amount of people who are absolutely INFURIATED about WWE and Vince and WWE creative ("Fuck this company!") and still tune in every Monday night to complain about it afterwards.  I'll be honest, I've been fairly bored with stuff lately, aside from Dean Ambrose, so I've stopped tuning in except to catch his segments.  I know I've made this exact same post before, but if you HATE WWE so MUCH, stop watching it.  There is so much easy to access wrestling out there, that tuning in every Monday then going on a message board and ranting and raving about "Fuck this company" and "Super Cena" and "Same old bullshit" is like being a big music fan who listens to Top 40 radio and rants all day about "Arianna Grande is terrible! Fuck this radio station!" or a film fan who goes to a new blockbuster every weekend and complains "When is Hollywood going get behind a Tim Blake Nelson drama instead of all these big budget action movies!?!"

WWE booking/pushes annoy you?  Turn it off.  I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's pretty simple.  But endless page after page of "GODDAMN WWE! GODDAMN VINCE!" is so tiring.

Now this really belongs in the grumpy old guy thread.

For me, Raw has become mostly background noise on Monday nights.  It's a good time for me to catch up on dishwashing or housecleaning while the show runs in the background.  If there's a good match, I'll stop and watch it, but that's about it.

I'm still really baffled/amused at the great amount of people who are absolutely INFURIATED about WWE and Vince and WWE creative ("Fuck this company!") and still tune in every Monday night to complain about it afterwards. I'll be honest, I've been fairly bored with stuff lately, aside from Dean Ambrose, so I've stopped tuning in except to catch his segments. I know I've made this exact same post before, but if you HATE WWE so MUCH, stop watching it. There is so much easy to access wrestling out there, that tuning in every Monday then going on a message board and ranting and raving about "Fuck this company" and "Super Cena" and "Same old bullshit" is like being a big music fan who listens to Top 40 radio and rants all day about "Arianna Grande is terrible! Fuck this radio station!" or a film fan who goes to a new blockbuster every weekend and complains "When is Hollywood going get behind a Tim Blake Nelson drama instead of all these big budget action movies!?!"

WWE booking/pushes annoy you? Turn it off. I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's pretty simple. But endless page after page of "GODDAMN WWE! GODDAMN VINCE!" is so tiring.

How hard is it not to read the posts? I shouldnt have to tell you this, it's pretty simple.

• Like 4

I even tuned out of Ambrose's stuff right around the time he was messing with Rollins like he was Dennis the Menace. It's like they can't decide if he should want to rip Rollins' throat out or goad him into chasing him down the street with a rolled up newspaper. At times, they're booking that feud like it's an episode of Tom and Jerry.

Blockbuster is still around?

I'm still really baffled/amused at the great amount of people who are absolutely INFURIATED about WWE and Vince and WWE creative ("Fuck this company!") and still tune in every Monday night to complain about it afterwards. I'll be honest, I've been fairly bored with stuff lately, aside from Dean Ambrose, so I've stopped tuning in except to catch his segments. I know I've made this exact same post before, but if you HATE WWE so MUCH, stop watching it. There is so much easy to access wrestling out there, that tuning in every Monday then going on a message board and ranting and raving about "Fuck this company" and "Super Cena" and "Same old bullshit" is like being a big music fan who listens to Top 40 radio and rants all day about "Arianna Grande is terrible! Fuck this radio station!" or a film fan who goes to a new blockbuster every weekend and complains "When is Hollywood going get behind a Tim Blake Nelson drama instead of all these big budget action movies!?!"

WWE booking/pushes annoy you? Turn it off. I shouldn't have to tell you this, it's pretty simple. But endless page after page of "GODDAMN WWE! GODDAMN VINCE!" is so tiring.

How hard is it not to read the posts? I shouldnt have to tell you this, it's pretty simple.

No, this man is right. Close down the internet, no one should have conversations about anything.

SHUT IT DOWN..

shut-it-dowwwwnnn-o.gif