DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I think Wyatt's character and motivations were pretty clear coming out of the Cena feud. But after coming out on the wrong end of the feud there just wasn't anyone else for him to feud with that wouldn't be perceived as a giant step down.

Cenas position in the company looms over the rest of the roster.

The problem with the Wyatts was it was not going anywhere. It has been over a year and there was no explanation of what Bray was or where he came from.

He would do these cryptic promos that said nothing. Like when Dewey Cox was in his Bob Dylan phase.

There is a story for him but it is going nowhere. but we have no idea who he is or what he wants.

You are exactly right...and it applies to the majority of the mid to upper mid guys and their feuds. Another thing to consider, maybe the guy just is a promo and an entrance, and that's it. His in-ring work didn't get him over in his other personas.

He would do these cryptic promos that said nothing. Like when Dewey Cox was in his Bob Dylan phase.

Underrated flick.

Just noticed I now get Championship Wrestling From Hollywood on my cable. Worth checking out? Who should I watch for?

It's not a criticism, it's a fact. I like him, but he was another character that people were sitting on their hands for during his matches. There are examples on the opposite end, where the ring work gets someone over despite questionable promos.

Not arguing he's a superworker or anything, but when was Husky Harris ever given a chance to get over on work? Seems like an unfair criticism. I think Bray is a good worker, capable of great things in the right setting/with the right opponent.

The more I think about it, the more I think that a large percentage of the roster is a victim of being in the wrong era. Wyatt, Lana and Rusev, even Ambrose to an extent all seem like they would have worked better in days gone by.

Not that I can think of many who are best suited to this era (maybe Miz, since he's pretty clearly hit his plateau several times over.)

• Like 1

WWE's current writing team is worse than '99 Russo. With Russo you have the highs and the incredible lows. I'd rather watch a show where I know everyone on the roster has SOMETHING to do and everything matters than a show where 99% of the roster is going through the motions. RAW is damn near unwatchable and I never felt that way with Russo in '99.

That's how bad it's gotten. Can't even use the "at least we have good matches" excuse because this is not 2013. The matches haven't been there every week this year.

• Like 4

That West Virginia locker room brawl was laid out better than 90% of what WWE presents. That blonde kid gets his shine at the beginning, the heels get their heat, and the babyface stands tall to end the shit. Bill Watts like a motherfucker...

• Like 3

It's not a criticism, it's a fact. I like him, but he was another character that people were sitting on their hands for during his matches. There are examples on the opposite end, where the ring work gets someone over despite questionable promos.

The crowd reactions for Wyatt waned when they had him trading wins with Jericho. Before that happened they had like 6-8 months of matches that got good/great reactions. The matches with Bryan, Punk, Shield, Cena - did you not see those?

My friend had a great idea of a stable of bare knuckle ass kickers led by Big Show consisting of BNB, Rowan, Sheamus, and Mojo. Makes me think a Sheamus/Rowan mentor angle could go somewhere.

Sheamus doesn't get angles. He gets matches and only matches!

Not matches.  Foights, fella,  Foights.

Fella.

How is Bray's in-ring skill level still a debate?

Shield vs. Wyatts at EC is a MOTD. Their first rematch isn't that far behind. The rest of the series is awesome, too.

Bray vs. Bryan might be Bryan's best match in the WWE.

Bray vs. Cena's Last Man Standing was another classic.

The guy's a super worker.

But how are his punches? Can he throw a good missile drop kick? And has he gotten a good match out of Khali? :P

Honestly though, the dude has a really unique look, awesome mic skills, and is good-to-great inside the ring. I think he just needs a little more seasoning and find that -it- factor that a lot of us see but I don't think he's realized yet to get to the next level. Really, to paraphrase Steve Austin, they should just strap a rocket to his back and hope for the best.

I sat at Wrestlemania and watched him vs. Cena, crowd was dead during the match. So bad they noticeably sweetened it during the Mania TV special. Very excited during the entrance, that's for sure. The steel cage vs. a super hot Wyatt...dead during the match, post match went crazy for Bryan turning. Again, I like the guy and think he moves well for a big man, but that being said, I think something isn't connecting. They have done him no favors with the weak stories.

• Like 1

I sat at Wrestlemania and watched him vs. Cena, crowd was dead during the match. So bad they noticeably sweetened it during the Mania TV special. Very excited during the entrance, that's for sure. The steel cage vs. a super hot Wyatt...dead during the match, post match went crazy for Bryan turning. Again, I like the guy and think he moves well for a big man, but that being said, I think something isn't connecting. They have done him no favors with the weak stories.

I think it is weak story after weak story.  Bryan/Cena/Jericho did him no favors.  It does not matter what his mat or mic work is like.  When you continually bury him the appeal goes away.

How do we explain the insane crowd reactions for anything Wyatts vs. Shield?  I don't buy that Bray and the fam were not connecting. Maybe the Cena story line didn't connect, sure. The Bryan story line didn't connect because people wanted to be certain that Bryan was going to be a face and going to challenge for the title at Mania.

Point is, when creative gives the Wyatts something worth a damn it gets over.

• Like 1

I'm really out of touch when it come to Bra Wyatt.  I'm not sure what it is people see in him, but, whatever it is, I've never caught a glimpse of it.

He's a big fat dude in a fedora who cuts promos like Raven. He's exactly the person half of the IWC think they'd be if they were in WWE.

• Like 18

The Shield matches were great, but Bray was, at best, the fourth best guy in them.

The Bryan match was great, but Bryan had a better match this year with Triple H, and has had at least half a dozen other better wwe matches.

The LMS with Cena was awesome, although it wouldn't make my personal top 15 Cena matches list.

I like Bray in ring, but superworker? I don't see it. Especially given the not very good Jericho matches.

Having great matches with The Shield, Daniel Bryan, and John Cena isn't the hardest degree of difficulty out there, either.

• Like 3