DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I just watched Roddy Piper prove a point by dropping his pants and ranting in front of Bill Maher. 

Wrestling is odd. 

Could you give more about the story? Like, what was the rant about, when, where, etc.

I just discovered that this was a thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SFrlIVJdBg  

Start at around 7:25 if you want to see Piper show some ass. Lord knows how much you guys love that. 

• Like 1

How did they screw up the Wyatt's?! UGH. UGH! How did they screw up Bo Dallas?! Screw this company. My god, it's like they get to October every year and just say F it, see you all in January. Maybe.

They don't book anyone to get over.  And if someone accidentally starts to get over, they don't give them enough booking attention to make it work.  Everybody is on a treadmill to nowhere and there's no point in watching their show.

• Like 7

I like that the Wyatts are breaking up on good terms and could come back together at any time, and I am all for Luke Harper, WWE World Heavyweight Champion at some point here in the near future, but I don't know if breaking up the Wyatts after they have been decimated by Cena and the Usos is the best option. In fact, at this point I think they would be better expanding the family, especially if that means re-packaging the Ascension into something that isn't shitty. Have these guys go back to dominating the people they run up against and get their aura back before you spin Luke Harper off into a singles star. 

Plus, I do think that Erick Rowan needs the cover of the stable to be really useful at this point. 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how these past couple of years will be looked back on. On one hand we have Daniel Bryan: WWE Champion, along with the rise NXT and all these indy guys finally getting their shot. On the other it seems like a lot of wasted potential with guys like Wyatt, Cesaro, Barrett, Sandow, etc.

• Like 1

I'm all for the Wyatts capturing Adam Rose and making him realize that the party monster schtick was just his way of repressing his true self and turning him back into evil huntsman Leo Kruger.  Or bring up some big NXT guy and turn them, like that big guy with the tattoos and wolf vest whose name escapes me.

It'll be interesting to see how these past couple of years will be looked back on. On one hand we have Daniel Bryan: WWE Champion, along with the rise NXT and all these indy guys finally getting their shot. On the other it seems like a lot of wasted potential with guys like Wyatt, Cesaro, Barrett, Sandow, etc.

I think it'll be looked upon as a transitional era, a grey area between the Vince McMahon era and what comes after him.  The positives you mentioned (NXT, indy guys coming in) are not things being championed by Vince McMahon.  However the negatives are all Vince.  Start and stop pushes, ADD booking and letting talented guys fall by the wayside because of imaginary downsides are all McMahon specialties.  Small non-Vince changes are being made but the guy at the top still has final say.  Good things might happen but it could be for naught because of Vince.  Word is he's already souring on either Zayn or Neville because they're too flippy.  Can you believe that shit?

The company is being run by a 69 year old man whose best days are behind him yet everyone still has to cater to his tastes and ever-changing whims.   As far as having a true, unified direction goes, WWE is in a holding pattern.

Oh, hrm. I took the Wyatt videos to mean that Wyatt has completed his work on Harper and now he's an evolved super death monster, but didn't see it as a break up. Might be I looked waaay to far into it.

I'll keep my standard 'it's probably BS' reaction to Meltz rumors and 'word around town' statements because they have about as much value as phone psychic predictions, though. Especially regarding the Ascension.

But also yes, the Wyatts were super wasted. It makes me miss the IC feuds of Hunter, Rock, and Austin. Those guys were so vital to the show, not technically main event, but could carry Raw with an IC title feud. Bray and quite a few other guys deserved that strong upper midcard, away from Cena fighting various Dungeon of Doom feuds.

The Wyatts failed because they were an alternate heel stable in the "heel authority figure" era. Ever since Bischoff joined the NWO and Vince started sending lackeys after Stone Cold, any heel stable not affiliated with the heel owner/CEO/president/commissioner/general manager/etc. is bound to come off second-rate. That said I don't mind all that much because I thought Harper was wasted in the role he was in. There's a guy who could be their next Undertaker, but they need to move fast on that cause he's already in his thirties...

You know what I never got about the Wyatt Family (And I've been a big fan since back in the NXT days) is why are they called 'The Wyatt Family' when they all have first and last names and none of them, save Bray, are named 'Wyatt'.  

If they really are set on breaking them up (And, let's be honest, they lasted longer in WWE without a dissension angle than I expected...WWE really doesn't like to keep guys together much longer than 6 months without breaking them up...I mean, is there really any way that Slater and Gator is any better than the early days of the Prime Time Players?!) I'd like to see Rowan re-assigned as Tyler Breeze's bodyguard, Harper set loose as a one-man wrecking crew, and Wyatt recruit two new lackeys and maybe a lady friend and all of them be referred to as Brother/Sister, like say Zack Ryder (Brother Zacharias), Bull Dempsey (Brother Bull), CJ Parker (Brother Parker) or Sister Tamina and we get a storyline of him beating them into shape, like The Flock etc.

I mean, I'd rather see them together, I still think have limitless possibilities.  They'd be a helluva lot of fun as Triple H's new enforcer group in the place of The Shield with Bray hinting that he's chafing under The Authority's leadership and Triple H unsure if he can trust him, leading to a Wyatt face-turn when he tells Harper/Rowan to take out Triple H/Rollins.

The Heenan Family only had one Heenan in it.

Somehow that didn't bother me, probably because it wasn't a cult-like family.

The other thing is you never saw Haku and Barbarian wrestle anybody while being called 'The Heenan Family' where WWE has sent out Luke Harper and Erick Rowan as 'The Wyatt Family' with nary a Wyatt in sight.

Some more info on the Global Force event

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/the-latest-updates-on-the-working-relationship-between-gfw-njpw-their-ppv-plans

Partial Source: Pwinsider

Global Force Wrestling’s first ever event will be producing New Japan Pro Wrestling’s WrestleKingdom event on traditional US pay-per-view. The show takes place on January 4th, and is being listed by pay-per-view providers as, "GFW Presents New Japan’s WrestleKingdom"

At this time, the plan is to show the pay-per-view live (likely around 3AM ET), and then air it later that day in the traditional Sunday night pay-per-view time slot.

I like that the Wyatts are breaking up on good terms and could come back together at any time, and I am all for Luke Harper, WWE World Heavyweight Champion at some point here in the near future, but I don't know if breaking up the Wyatts after they have been decimated by Cena and the Usos is the best option. In fact, at this point I think they would be better expanding the family, especially if that means re-packaging the Ascension into something that isn't shitty. Have these guys go back to dominating the people they run up against and get their aura back before you spin Luke Harper off into a singles star. 

Plus, I do think that Erick Rowan needs the cover of the stable to be really useful at this point. 

The problem with expanding the family is that you have the Authority as the top heel group.  The Authority is not letting the Wyatt's get over them as heels.

I get that theory, but at the same time, there's like 8 hours of TV plus house shows every week. There's plenty of room for two heel factions. And if not, Wyatts should just be steamrolling a motherfucker on every single other show that HHH & Steph aren't on (I haven't watched SD, Main Event, or Superstars in quite some time, but I'm guessing they're not making many appearances).

I have to say, I kinda dug The Ascension, but keep them away from the Wyatts. And I love, love, LOVE the idea of Luke Harper as a solo act. But you KNOW three weeks in, they're gonna turn him into Festus or a lost Godwinn or something.

• Like 2

If the Wyatt's are splitting I'd like Steph to replace Kane with Rowan because Kane has gone too soft(that and the fact that he's the worst guy on the roster not named Khali).

Kane can still bring his working boots if he really, really has to. He's been over for 17 years, despite 47 heel turns, 12 un-maskings, and one Katie Vick. Plus, he throws good punches.