DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

www.profightdb.com/pwi/nikita-allanov-2696.html2002: 3972003: 3632004: 3812005: 362

Thank you kindly Newb82.

Were you ever on the list Nikita?

Do you know of any wrestlers who got placed in that 300-500 range that actually got any kind of recognition bump?

I feel like back in the 90's indy guys actually benefited from a spot on the 500. I know for the longest time I only knew of Reckless Youth, Mr. Ooh La La, and Quack from the list, and it made me want to know more about them. But nowadays, who even reads it? And it feels less beneficial than say someone passing around youtube matches.

I think the bump is minimal.  Back when there were still multiple companies, it was more or less a plot device to spur discussion about how guys from different companies matched up with each other. 

During my heyday, there was only really one company, so the "bump" gained from it was kind of minimal.  Like, if you were a guy on the WWE periphery, and were ranked higher than some prelim/midcard WWE guys, then that might give you the needed publicity boost to get bookings in something like the Super 8 or whatnot. It had the same trickle down effect thru the indys.  Maybe a guy making $5 a match could get more bookings for more money because promoters in other places knew him from PWI500 now. Maybe a guy that got an unexpected high ranking could jump from non-descript indys to some of the more well-publicized places. 

For me, it was more about credibility.  I could tell my family/friends I was ranked in the world's top 500 wrestlers, and it always seemed to be a big accomplishment they were proud of.  It was also always something I could throw out there that showed I was on the radar of a major publication, and not just some goof.  Also, I had a lot of fans ask me to sign their copy, so that was always kinda cool. 

I think I remember Nikita being on the list in 2002 (which is the only edition I ever read), it was either that, or the big "profiles of every promotion in the US" magazine they put out at around the same time.  I remember being a big fan of a belt having to do with brass knuckles

Aside from my PWI500 rankings, I had a couple articles about me in The Wrestler, and I had the profile you mentioned in a Wrestle America almanac or yearbook or whatever they called it - it was just a magazine that profiled a ton of independent groups.  I was the NWA East Brass Knuckles Champion and they had my picture with the profile for NWA East. 

I was working in the office for the aforementioned NWA group, and I handled a lot of the heavy lifting getting things like results/pics into the Apter Mags, and I helped get a lot of guys I worked with ranked.  I had a pretty good professional relationship with Brandi, as she handled most of those areas, and when she stopped handling the PWI500, I stopped being ranked. 

It really is all about who you know. 

• Like 3

AJ Styles-Darren Young: Built-in Feud.  "The gay community?!"

AJ: "The gay community?!"

Young: "Yes, 'the gay community.'"  (drops mic, sucker punch, pull-apart, ratings skyrocket)

data-author="SovietShooter">
data-author="Newb82">Newb82, on 22 Aug2013 - 6:05 PM, said:

www.profightdb.com/pwi/nikita-allanov-2696.html2002: 3972003:3632004: 3812005: 362

Thank you kindly Newb82.

data-author="jaedmc">jaedmc, on 22 Aug2013 - 5:49 PM, said:

Were you ever on the list Nikita?

Do you know of any wrestlers who got placed in that 300-500 range thatactually got any kind of recognition bump?

I feel like back in the 90's indy guys actually benefited from a spot on the500. I know for the longest time I only knew of Reckless Youth, Mr. Ooh La La,and Quack from the list, and it made me want to know more about them. Butnowadays, who even reads it? And it feels less beneficial than say someonepassing around youtube matches.

I think the bump is minimal.  Back when there were still multiplecompanies, it was more or less a plot device to spur discussion about how guysfrom different companies matched up with each other. 

During my heyday, there was only really one company, so the "bump" gainedfrom it was kind of minimal.  Like, if you were a guy on the WWE periphery,and were ranked higher than some prelim/midcard WWE guys, then that might giveyou the needed publicity boost to get bookings in something like the Super 8 orwhatnot. It had the same trickle down effect thru the indys.  Maybe a guymaking $5 a match could get more bookings for more money because promoters inother places knew him from PWI500 now. Maybe a guy that got an unexpected highranking could jump from non-descript indys to some of the more well-publicizedplaces. 

For me, it was more about credibility.  I could tell my family/friends Iwas ranked in the world's top 500 wrestlers, and it always seemed to be a bigaccomplishment they were proud of.  It was also always something I couldthrow out there that showed I was on the radar of a major publication, and notjust some goof.  Also, I had a lot of fans ask me to sign their copy, sothat was always kinda cool. 

data-author="Assassin">Assassin, on 22Aug 2013 - 5:56 PM, said:

I think I remember Nikita being on the list in 2002 (which is the onlyedition I ever read), it was either that, or the big "profiles of everypromotion in the US" magazine they put out at around the same time.  Iremember being a big fan of a belt having to do with brass knuckles

Aside from my PWI500 rankings, I had a couple articles about me in TheWrestler, and I had the profile you mentioned in a Wrestle Americaalmanac or yearbook or whatever they called it - it was just a magazine thatprofiled a ton of independent groups.  I was the NWA East Brass KnucklesChampion and they had my picture with the profile for NWA East. 

I was working in the office for the aforementioned NWA group, and I handled alot of the heavy lifting getting things like results/pics into the Apter Mags,and I helped get a lot of guys I worked with ranked.  I had a pretty goodprofessional relationship with Brandi, as she handled most of those areas, andwhen she stopped handling the PWI500, I stopped being ranked. 

It really is all about who you know. 

... mark ...

• Like 3

For me, it was more about credibility.  I could tell my family/friends I was ranked in the world's top 500 wrestlers, and it always seemed to be a big accomplishment they were proud of.  It was also always something I could throw out there that showed I was on the radar of a major publication, and not just some goof.  Also, I had a lot of fans ask me to sign their copy, so that was always kinda cool. 

Neither here nor there, but in 2000/2001, I would check guys against the DVDVR 500 if I was about to go to a indy show with guys i wasn't familiar with. For some reason saying "This guy Luis Ortiz is 322!" didn't impress the people I was going with. 322 on the PWI might have impressed more. 

Chris Hobo

Ohno Hobo

Hobo Hero?!  Hobos?!  Ohnoes!

The Big Shobo

Hobo Dallas

My God guys! This reminds me of Butch Doink, Luke Doink, Mo Doink and Mabel Doink.

Shouldn't it be Kassius Hobo?

With:

"The Hobo F'n Show" Rob Van Dam

Hulk Hobo

Hobeau Beverly

The Hobro (a scruffy and disshevelled Zach Ryder)

and Jim Duggan trading in his 2x4 for a bo staff

• Like 3

Or you can bring back The Godfather and have him bring out the HO-BO Train with a dozen or so old and grizzled motherfuckers dancing down the aisle for a handout.

And speaking of old and grizzled.... how about Hobo-lly Jim with his theme song "Hobo's Messin' with a Country Boy."

Hardcore Hobolly to kick the shit out of the disrespectful young hoboes.

Or the giant but agile tattooed asskicker Bam Bam BigHoBo.

I'm done.

• Like 2

Or you can bring back The Godfather and have him bring out the HO-BO Train with a dozen or so old and grizzled motherfuckers dancing down the aisle for a handout.

"Why do we need to have a match? When you can take a ride on the Hooooooobo Train."