DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I think that top to bottum, the WWE is better now in-ring than it ever has been. That idea got me wondering who the worst non-Diva was in the ring. Maybe Brodus Clay? I hate Miz, but he is at least capable of putting together a decent 10 minute match.

Have we forgotten Khali already?  And of course Otunga, even though I can't even remember the last time he worked on TV. 

Just glancing through the roster and it really did hit me how high the level of in ring performers is right now.  Beyond Khali and Rowan (and them being "bad" workers fits in with their respective gimmicks I suppose) there isn't anyone I'd even single out as being bad.  Guys like Ted Dibiase and Kofi and Axel and Miz all bore me, but with the right guy they are all fine.  And none of them are really bad wrestlers, just sort of bland or guys with bad or non existent characters.

R Truth is probably the biggest channel changer in the company for me and I'd have a hard time saying he's all that bad.  I just find him to be really boring.

Just give Bray some time. The dude can work. He's also still really young. Sometimes it takes a little bit to click perfectly. His character work and ability to wrestle as that character is off-the-charts for someone his age with his experience. I'm pretty sure his ability to string together good, heated matches with good storytelling is going to catch up with the rest of his shtick. But that part is dependent on working with good workers and getting the time to develop. He's had two matches -- against Kane in a really gimmicked match and against R-Truth. Truth has his strengths but making another guy look like a world beater isn't one of them. Luke Harper's really good. He knows what to do. Rowan's green as hell but as long as he just clubs and splashes dudes for now, that's all you really need. I don't even know Bray has been up with in house shows -- I think Alex Riley? He's gotta get in the ring with someone like Ziggler.Brodus Clay is pretty bad and a waste of time on TV. He serves a good purpose of being a fun character that kids love for stuff like house shows and promotional appearances. But in terms of what I want to watch -- no thanks. Khali is still terrible but he's just there to get beat up and have his ethnicity used in a degrading manner. Titus isn't great but he's not bad at all -- the PTPs haven't had any epic matches or anything like that but they're solid. Jack Swagger's kinda useless but he still looks good in tag matches.

I think everyone who gets significant TV time right now is at least decent. There are no absolute bottom feeders.

And Alberto Del Rio rules. I think he's really underrated. Everything he does is great. He has awesome facial expressions, knows how to work a crowd (his timing at doing things like looking up and smirking while having a dude controlled in an arm bar is great) and sells really well. His picking one body part to work around is perfect. It's so simple for an audience to figure out, especially when he's in the ring with a guy like Christian who works the same sort of thing.

A rich jerk character will always win me over, too. ADR might me better off, though, playing up a Mexican Heartthrob role since he's a very good looking guy who could talk about how he could have any woman in the arena right now but they're not good enough for him. I could get into that.

• Like 1

Like I said in the Summerslam thread, Del Rio is easily the best heel wrestler on the roster. He has great control segments that makes even shitty faces look sympathetic. His offense is dangerous and effective, but he's peppered in banana peel spots so that he doesn't look so awesome that people will cheer him. Del Rio is also one of the ONLY guys in the WWE that actually does "Game Plan Wrestling", where it feels like the wrestler isn't just doing a bunch of moves, he's actually trying to accomplish a specific goal and his match revolves around that. He's a great example of a guy that combines great technique and good storytelling to make a wrestling match feel like an actual competitive event. And he makes the belt look more important because of all that. 

I really want to see him against the current superface Daniel Bryan or El Generico, who was one of the best face workers in the world(I haven't seen much since he's lost his match so I don't know how much he lost with the gimmick)

• Like 1

I haven't watched the 1991 Royal Rumble in forever so I don't really remember much about it, but I just saw that Shane Douglas went over 20 minutes in it. What's the story with that? I see that he was signed around that time but left for personal reasons, is it known what kind of plans the WWF had for him at that time?

Lesnar is the best heel wrestler on the roster right now and it's not even close, but ADR is up there.  His brutality really made those matches with Dolph.  I've never been sold on his character work, though.  He is about at Randy Orton levels on the mic, but he just doesn't get the same thought put into his storylines. That part might never click, but he is still a really good hand.

Speaking of Orton, he could easily leapfrog ADR on my best heel wrestler list depending on how they handle the next few months.  I'm excited for the potential of motivated heel Orton.

The roster is this good now and could add Hero, Generico, and PAC at any moment.

Has Sami Callahan signed yet? I can't find anything definitive online.

Yep he and Samuray Del Sol were the most recent big names, I think.

Like I said in the Summerslam thread, Del Rio is easily the best heel wrestler on the roster. He has great control segments that makes even shitty faces look sympathetic. His offense is dangerous and effective, but he's peppered in banana peel spots so that he doesn't look so awesome that people will cheer him. Del Rio is also one of the ONLY guys in the WWE that actually does "Game Plan Wrestling", where it feels like the wrestler isn't just doing a bunch of moves, he's actually trying to accomplish a specific goal and his match revolves around that. He's a great example of a guy that combines great technique and good storytelling to make a wrestling match feel like an actual competitive event. And he makes the belt look more important because of all that. I really want to see him against the current superface Daniel Bryan or El Generico, who was one of the best face workers in the world(I haven't seen much since he's lost his match so I don't know how much he lost with the gimmick)

I've said it before but it bears repeating: ADR's character is basically Don Diego de la Vega without a moral compass. As in without it, THIS is what he would do with his training rather than fight evil land barons under a mask.

I hope Del Rio retains over RVD, he is too good in his role right now. I just wish they wouldn't overexpose him by having him on both Raw and Smackdown in matches. Keep things fresh, stick him on commentary or something. He is a way better heel than Orton at the moment.

Things like this really make me miss the brand split.  I admit to missing Smackdown almost every week now because most weeks it's just a sequel to RAW.  If it was the only place that I could see certain guys, I'd be all over it though.  

And speaking of the brand split, how long can they really continue to have a WWE and "World" Title?  Surely a unification match must be coming at some point.  I was really hoping it was this year when Ziggler was hyping that he was going to win the Rumble, win the WWE Title at Wrestlemania, and then cash in MITB to win the World Title too.  It would've been a great way to do it.  

I think that top to bottum, the WWE is better now in-ring than it ever has been. That idea got me wondering who the worst non-Diva was in the ring. Maybe Brodus Clay? I hate Miz, but he is at least capable of putting together a decent 10 minute match.

It says a lot there isn't a clear-cut answer to this question. Even though it's early, I would go with Bray Wyatt whose first two singles matches have been pretty bad. The gimmick is nice, but there's nothing to back it up in the ring it looks like. One of the other two Wyatts could easily surpass him soon, but so far, I've only seen their 3-minute slugfest with Tons of Funk which I kind of liked. They don't look like they're good for more than that, though, I'll admit.

Wow.  Talk about a giant sample size to work with.  And they say that the Internet snaps to judgment.

I hope Del Rio retains over RVD, he is too good in his role right now. I just wish they wouldn't overexpose him by having him on both Raw and Smackdown in matches. Keep things fresh, stick him on commentary or something. He is a way better heel than Orton at the moment.

Things like this really make me miss the brand split.  I admit to missing Smackdown almost every week now because most weeks it's just a sequel to RAW.  If it was the only place that I could see certain guys, I'd be all over it though.  

And speaking of the brand split, how long can they really continue to have a WWE and "World" Title?  Surely a unification match must be coming at some point.  I was really hoping it was this year when Ziggler was hyping that he was going to win the Rumble, win the WWE Title at Wrestlemania, and then cash in MITB to win the World Title too.  It would've been a great way to do it.  

Seems so absurd now that at one point that scenario was actually possible.