DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I refer to him as Tensai because I prefer to refer to performers by the name they are currently using.  Otherwise, I'd be one of those douchebags who chant "Husky Harris" at Bray Wyatt.  When talking about past performance, I prefer to use the name that the wrestler was using at that time, because it helps place that wrestler within the historical context that I am referring to.

If I refer to a current wrestler by one of his past names, that usually means that I am intentionally being disrespectful.  Sometimes, it means that his name is annoying to type, such as Trent Barreta going by his real name in TNA.

• Like 1

If memory serves, having been at those Philly ROH shows that the CSC worked, they were pretty damn over despite being mediocre workers.  Shit, Hernendez even tagged with them once and played along.

Multiple reviews of the show I mentioned reported on "faggot" chants from the crowd.  Do you recall any of that occurring at shows you went to?

3) Don't slag on Philly too much. We have a well-deserved reputation. But we also have a huge gay presence in town. There's a neighborhood downtown called The Gayborhood. There was an attempt to rebrand it as something more generic but people -- and not just gays -- refused to let that happen. There might be some mooks who say something awful to Darren Young but I guarantee they'll be met with a bad reaction and will also get kicked out -- and maybe their asses kicked. That stuff doesn't fly here too much anymore.

How would Philly wrestling fans have reacted to, say, a tag team with a flamboyantly gay gimmick in ECW?

The Christopher Street Connection worked the Philly area for years and from all the (albeit limited) footage I saw of them, they never got booed for being gay, just mediocre workers.

Google tells me that someone who has a copy of 2002's Ring of Honor: A Night of Appreciation should watch the CSC match and give us a report on the Philly crowd's response.

They were working as heels on that show. 

Super nerd filing question. When a guy under goes a name change do you ever keep using the Indy name? For some reason I usually stick with the name I became familier with. There are a couple exceptions but for example PAC is still PAC on all my file descriptions.

I have a problem with Daniel Bryan sometimes. I type Brian and then look at it and think to myself "well that doesn't look quite right."

Yeah, Danielson is the one I still have trouble with. I still call Seth Rollins Tyler Black.

Weirdly though, I usually don't even remember that Dean Ambrose's real name is Jon Moxley.

That's because it isn't. His real name is Jonathan Good, which is an AWESOME wrestling name itself.

Since nothing has been mentioned, I'm assuming that Jay Briscoe's Twitter is cricket-chirps about the Darren Young issue?

"i think its a very effective way for the WWE to generate some buzz heading into Summerslam"

3) Don't slag on Philly too much. We have a well-deserved reputation. But we also have a huge gay presence in town. There's a neighborhood downtown called The Gayborhood. There was an attempt to rebrand it as something more generic but people -- and not just gays -- refused to let that happen. There might be some mooks who say something awful to Darren Young but I guarantee they'll be met with a bad reaction and will also get kicked out -- and maybe their asses kicked. That stuff doesn't fly here too much anymore.

How would Philly wrestling fans have reacted to, say, a tag team with a flamboyantly gay gimmick in ECW?

The Christopher Street Connection worked the Philly area for years and from all the (albeit limited) footage I saw of them, they never got booed for being gay, just mediocre workers.

Google tells me that someone who has a copy of 2002's Ring of Honor: A Night of Appreciation should watch the CSC match and give us a report on the Philly crowd's response.

Does that mean it's okay for the crowd to chant racist things at black wrestlers if they are working as heels?

Does that mean it's okay for the crowd to chant racist things at black wrestlers if they are working as heels?

Hey, I've been to indy shows in the South where they chant racist things to black wrestlers working as faces.  But no, not okay.

• Like 1

Of course not. But if they were working a Stepin Fetchit gimmick as heels, it would be expected. Since they would be inciting the chants themselves. Which does not excuse it, but it provides context. From Ricky Starr to Adrian Street to Lanny Poffo. No wrestler working an effeminate gimmick as a face has generated homophobic chants. Until they worked as a heel and wanted those chants. 

Considering the way women were treated in ECW, I shudder to think at how Heyman would have booked a gay character.

I actually might order Summerslam. I feel like it's a card that interests me & I kind of want to support WWE for putting on matches that I care about. At least in the main event. I'm not super thrilled with Triple H being made the ref in the Cena/Bryan match but I still think the work will be great, we'll just probably get a soap opera finish. Punk/Lesnar should be a lot of fun too. Surprisingly, my third most anticipated match is probably the YouTube pre-show U.S. title match between Dean Ambrose & Rob Van Dam. Not that I'm really high on RVD (and I haven't been since like 1999), I do like Ambrose a lot & I'm curious if he's going to drop the title already. After the promo he cut on Monday with the "ghost of André the Giant" comment before the battle royal, I've came around on him some more. It would be a shame if he loses that belt already & technically not even on the show.

I have zero interest in Christian/ADR, Dolph & Kaitlyn Vs. Big E & AJ or Sandow/Rhodes but Wyatt/Kane could be interesting. At least to see how they do it in a non-Attitude PG environment. Natalya Vs. Brie Bella is a complete waste of time & I'm tired of this E! Divas bullshit already.

WWE PPV are pretty damn expensive nowadays. So I guess I'll decide on Sunday & see if a friend wants to go-in on the cost with me or something.

So you have heard of no rope matches.  How about a no ring match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lYMZ-YEJqyw

George South is one carny kind of guy but pretty funny and still a solid worker. 

So exactly when did George South turn into Krazy George?

I'm guessing it was around the time WCW stopped using all the classic JCP jobbers.

Considering the way women were treated in ECW, I shudder to think at how Heyman would have booked a gay character.

See: Balls Mahoney's debut match against Devon Storm.   Yeah, Balls started as a gay biker using the Tombstone as a finish.

As for CSC in ROH, but the time I started going to ROH shows, CSC started working face. Don't recall hearing homophobic chants toward them.  Can't speak to how they were treated the first few shows they worked Heel though.

So you have heard of no rope matches.  How about a no ring match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lYMZ-YEJqyw

George South is one carny kind of guy but pretty funny and still a solid worker. 

I worked a no-ring show on Kodiak Island in Alaska when I toured with Disco Inferno and Virgil back in 2003. Instead it was gym mats surrounded by caution tape. It might've actually had more give than the boxing rings we were in the rest of the tour.