DVDVR Message Board

Night of Brock Lesnar

Dolfan in NYC

The structure of Cena/Brock was amazing, building off last months extended squash by having Cena get beat up almost as badly, but with him getting nearly constant hope spots, and then him going into absolute "I WILL KILL YOU" mode when he finally got Brock hurt.

The end makes sense in terms of what they wanted to do (protect everyone) but it's kind of lame, but the AA/STF/STF/STF/AA stretch of Cena just trying to END Lesnar was amazing and reminded me of the end of the Cena/Umaga LMS.

Holy fuck I loved that match.  They laid into each other so damn hard, too.

Also, AJ LEE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!

• Like 1

Rusev vs Henry was a strange disappointing match, Jericho vs Orton was very good. Cena/Lesnar wasn't too bad and played out as I thought it would, with someone interfering, that's the only way it could have ended to keep  it going onto Hell in the Cell. 

from what I saw of the main event, essentially the section with Cena in control was still handled like Cena was trying to finish off the Terminator.

Also, if we're talking Cena ways to get back at Rollins, shouldn't he try to just run in after the match begins to instigate another DQ?

Or just sit back and watch the match start and laugh as Brock immediately picks up Seth and snaps him in half while Seth screams "BUT I'M THE SMART ONE!!!!!  WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???  AND WHY IS NO ONE BUT ME SURPRISED?????"

maybe Cena feels deep guilt over what happened to Sandow and he wants to protect Rollins from the effects of failing to catch in.

But Cena fucking over Seth during an actual match also means they could do Brock/Cena/Rollins in the HITC. Ending with Dean Ambrose just rolling out from under the ring, covered in a layer of dust, to get Rollins.

Cena's STF tonight reached the absolute apex of shittery. That was by far the worst STF I've ever seen him do. Other than that complaint I liked the show, didn't hate the booking, and look forward to HIAC. One thing I was really surprised at was the Rusev/Henry match, I fully expected Henry to get a cheap win by DQ or something instead he lost clean, tapped, and didn't even get too many hope spots. Radically different story from the Swagger feud. Hopefully they'll move his finish from the Accolade to that kick when he ends up feuding with Big Show next.

Can you really do another Cena vs. Brock match without involved Rollins? Rollins now involved with Ambrose AND Cena. It almost looks like a 4-way: Cena vs. Lesnar vs. Ambrose vs. Rollins is in the cards, but that seems kinda goofy too. I don't know.

I'm pretty sure we get Brock/Cena III (IV? V?) at HiaC.  No one can interfere blah blah blah.  Probably Rollins/Ambrose as well, maybe also in the cell.  Then possibly a cash-in after the main to lead into Cena/Rollins for Survivor Series.

Holy shit though, god damn that match was great.

They're sitting on Fort Fucking Knox with Ambrose.  But they'll fuck it up.

Can Vince get declared infirm and just hand the place over to Trip already?

Goldust's face paint was fucking amazing.

• Like 4

Cena should always do the AA into a tight powerslam like he did there.

God, that was awesome too.  "Shit, the AA isn't working!  Fuck, I'll just make it even more devastating.  This monster is going to stay the fuck dead!"

Nights like this remind me why I love John Cena so fucking much, booking and never changing character be damned.

• Like 1

I like that Dean arrived in a cab and clearly had no money to pay.

Dean has always had trouble separating cabs, ambulances, and buses, and police cars.  They all kind of seem to do the same things to him.  So there's no way he's clear on which ones he's supposed to pay for, which ones he is supposed to jump in front of and hope they stop, and which ones other people put you into.

Like, he got there tonight probably by jumping in front of one kind.  And he left by being put into another kind.  And that is how transportation works for him.

• Like 17

Can you really do another Cena vs. Brock match without involved Rollins? Rollins now involved with Ambrose AND Cena. It almost looks like a 4-way: Cena vs. Lesnar vs. Ambrose vs. Rollins is in the cards, but that seems kinda goofy too. I don't know.

I'm pretty sure we get Brock/Cena III (IV? V?) at HiaC.  No one can interfere blah blah blah.  Probably Rollins/Ambrose as well, maybe also in the cell.  Then possibly a cash-in after the main to lead into Cena/Rollins for Survivor Series.

You're probably right, but it just seems weird to me.

Dusts/Usos was solid, but I'm tired of just seeing the two of them and the Wyatts wrestle eachother over and over again.

Sheamus/Cesaro was also good, but Cesaro should have won.  Hopefully we haven't seen the last of it.

Miz is one of those guys who generally sucks but can be carried if he's in there with the right guy he has chemistry with and he and Ziggler had another good bout.  I just hope Ziggler comes back and then moves on or Miz goes to do another straight to Redbox movie.

It was pretty clear that Jericho was going to lose, but fuck Orton is terrible.  There is nothing whatsoever intimidating or creepy about his "crazy' mannerisms, he just looks like a mouthbreather having a tantrum, and his punt is an awful move that doesn't come off as remotely dangerous no matter how much they try and put it over.

Speaking of putting things over, I think tonight was one of those nights that shows just how truly vile the commentary team is nowadays.  

I can't think of that many other wrestlers around now whose work I think highly of but whose character is as genuinely off-putting as AJ.  Her manic hehe look how crazy I am schtick just gets more annoying by the week and has been going on far too long.  Match wasn't bad though.

I was expecting a fuck finish in the main event to set up Cena/Lesnar HIAC but I think this just went a little overboard.  There were plenty of ways to get a DQ beyond making Rollins look weak.

Isn't this the second time they've blown off a Rollins/Ambrose match on a PPV?  

• Like 2

I thought this was a predictably good PPV.

The tag match was fantastic, I thought. The Usos and The Cosmic Twins really have some great chemistry.

Sheamus/Cesaro was wonderful. Just two good professional wrestlers being good at professional wrestling. I'd rather Cesaro win, naturally, but this was fine.

Miz/Dolph was pretty fun. I didn't mind the country dudes I don't know doing commentary. They didn't do anything objectively horrible, to my memory. The stuff with Sandow was fun and led to the ending, since Sandow was written out of the match only to come in for the flunky heel distraction victory. That's a good decoy.

Rollins/Ambrose was, naturally, awesome. Ambrose is the truth. He's such an awesome Piper/Austin hybrid. We've all seen the dickhead at work or school climb his way to the top in dubious ways. And we've all wanted to punch that person in the face. Basic social norms don't let us do that, though. But that can happen in wrestling and Ambrose doesn't have the same code we have. That's the key to him -- he gets to say and do what we all wish we could. Ambrose as a face (and Rollins as a total douche heel) is one of the ingenious moves of the past few years. It's absolutely counter to what logic would initially dictate -- Rollins' offense is amazing, Ambrose is a terrific sleaze -- but this is way, way, way better.

Henry/Rusev was a really smart match. They were painted in a corner in this match. It came after Rollins/Ambrose so they couldn't have a wild brawl. Sheamus/Cesaro was already a good hoss fight and they can't have the same match they just had. They also couldn't have something similar to Cena/Lesnar, another match between two huge freaks. They had a slower-paced match built smartly around Rusev going for Henry' back, but Henry using his freakish strength to counter what the young buck could give him. It was a good, methodical pace. I really liked it.

Jericho/Orton was fine until the end. The end was awful. What spot from the top rope does Jericho even have? Does he still have the dropkick? If so, why is he jumping face first towards Orton, especially after waiting that long? I guess you could argue that Jericho threw everything he had at Orton and wanted to try something new but got caught by the veteran Orton.

Either way, these two had Veterans Having A Good Match Against Each Other while The Wyatts and Bo didn't show up. That makes me sad. But thinking it through, if you're going to shoehorn something in for the sake of having it, having it with two guys who don't have anything to build to or lose is fine.

The woman's triple threat was a lot of fun. Kudos to Nikki for becoming some weird power spot worker. She looked really good. Paige's pre-match promo was golden. I really love AJ stealing the title, since I think she's a pretty terrific worker and a blast when everyone's chasing her and she gets to spit fire.

That main event ruled. It felt like a boxing match. I loved the beginning, especially, when Cena hit the AA super early -- a callback to the previous match and a whole "We mean business" thing. I'm fine with the ending. It makes Rollins look like a total sleaze and gives us a likely Brock/Cena HITC match that will be completely nuts. I also loved Brock's smirk after being called the champion despite only winning because of Rollins.

• Like 2

Brian, I do wish Cena had sold the arm a little after the kimura when he was locking on the endless machine gun STFs.

Why? It's not like he's exerting any type of energy with his arms when he applies the STF. 

• Like 8

I want WWE to hire piranesi to write only for Dean Ambrose and no one else.

Are you saying that you don't want anyone else to write for Dean Ambrose or that you don't trust him to write for anyone else?

It's not that I don't trust him, I just want all his attention on Dean. It's too important for him to be distracted by the Kofi Kingston's of the world.

I want WWE to hire piranesi to write only for Dean Ambrose and no one else.

Are you saying that you don't want anyone else to write for Dean Ambrose or that you don't trust him to write for anyone else?

It's not that I don't trust him, I just want all his attention on Dean. It's too important for him to be distracted by the Kofi Kingston's of the world.

To be fair, WWE Creative themselves aren't even distracted by the Kofi Kingston's of the world currently.

• Like 2

I will say this.

I would be happy with any of the matches in the cage next month if they wanted to do multiple ones:

Ambrose vs Rollins, Cena vs Brock, Usos vs Dust Bros, Rusev vs Henry, Cesaro vs Sheamus.

Hell I'd even be okay with Dolph vs Miz that way.