DVDVR Message Board

Night of Brock Lesnar

Dolfan in NYC

I'm down with a Stone Cold return.

I'm down with a Brock vs. Austin match at Mania.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the fuck anyone would want that match between a guy that's been retired since 2003 and a part-time guy be for the title.

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me figure out why the fuck anyone would want that match between a guy that's been retired since 2003 and a part-time guy be for the title.

Because we're done pretending it matters when John Cena drops the title to another full time guy.

Brock Lesnar is the scariest, most dominant figure in wrestling. He's not over exposed, and beats only the top guys when he feels like it. Austin is Top 3 biggest name in the history of the company and if he came back to fight, why should it be in a non-title fight where the outcome is meaningless? You put it for the strap like it has some fucking importance. This part time vs. full time guy is some stupid backstage locker room argument that somehow wrestlers conned the fans into taking part in. I want a title fight, I want the biggest stars attatched. I don't want John Cena dropping the title to Roman Reigns and pretending like it's a big deal, when he's lost that fucking title over a dozen times already, and he'll just get it back in a few weeks when the ratings don't go up.

• Like 6

I'm really having a tough time imagining Cena winning this Sunday. I mean, it's definitely possible and we've seen it before, but it just makes so little sense right now. Brock holding the belt has intrigue. There's absolutely no intrigue with Cena holding it. With Brock, every match feels different and special. Cena's fought everyone already, and you already know the booking will be some generic "overcome the odds but not really" programs until he loses the belt by fluke. Not to mention you'd be wasting somebody breaking the f'n streak AND a squash win over Cena (the two biggest put-over moves the company had) to put over... John Cena? At a second-tier ppv? I understand no one having faith in WWE to competently finish off a big angle (they certainly don't deserve it), but this would be a new low I think.

• Like 1

If they built it up where Brock was this unmerciful God who was just destroying everyone and The Authority couldn't control him, it would make perfect sense for them to beg Austin to do what needs to be done to end Brock's reign of terror. Austin has always said he needs three to four months to prepare for a match of a high quality.

I mean there is zero chance this will happen for Wrestlemania 31, but Brock running down Austin for being a pussy on that night they were supposed to fight in 2002 would be all the storyline you would need for this thing. Just imagine the promos from Heyman when he says "Steve Austin fears one man...and that's Brock Lesnar and I can prove it...roll the video footage".

Oh yeah, Cena probably will get his win back tomorrow night. Maybe he doesn't win the title, but he'll come out the winner.

I'm thinking the main event will be a back and forth match and probably end with some sort of fuck finish, maybe Brock gets DQed for whaling on Cena excessively outside the ring, or maybe it's the other way around and Cena goes into "ruthless aggression" mode and goes after Brock with a chair or something like that.  Hell in a Cell is in October and we get the rubber match there.

I'd rather see Austin wrestle again than Sting, but I really don't have much interest in a guy who is in questionable physical condition and hasn't wrestled in over a decade come back.  Seeing him as an enforcer referee who maybe stuns somebody would be cool.

• Like 1

Brock can't do his stuff against Austin. Austin's stuff will work best against someone who would bump for him all over the ring.

If they're really bringing in have him up against Rollins and it'll be like Da Crusher vs Tully or someone in 1983 or something and it'd be awesome. 

I honest to God think that Brock vs. Austin is one of the only matches left that I would openly watch, and encourage my friends and family (who quit in 2002 with the rest of the world) to see as well. Brock vs. Austin or Brock vs. Rock are big enough to get mainstream/casual attention, which, even with the advent of the Network and the idea of the PPV buyrate being antiquated, is still all WWE wants and craves. I agree 150% with everything jae said on the matter. Austin vs. Brock transcends star ratings or any of our other smart fan bullshit. It's a big fucking match. It conjures images to me of what wrestling was like from 1996-2003 where the biggest thing was simply "fuck the status quo." That's just the age I happen to be. If you were a Hulkamania kid or a Horsemen kid or a Freebirds kid, insert your name of choice there-- until they can build a legitimate threat other than Cena (and God bless Bryan and Reigns, my heart goes out to them) then we're going to be reliant on stars from the past, and Brock. Brock still has an aura and the air of mystique-- and I have no doubt that if they were paying him less, he would be just as tiring and just as overexposed. It's another happy accident, just like the very streak they allowed him to end.

Because we're done pretending it matters when John Cena drops the title to another full time guy.

Brock Lesnar is the scariest, most dominant figure in wrestling. He's not over exposed, and beats only the top guys when he feels like it. Austin is Top 3 biggest name in the history of the company and if he came back to fight, why should it be in a non-title fight where the outcome is meaningless? You put it for the strap like it has some fucking importance. This part time vs. full time guy is some stupid backstage locker room argument that somehow wrestlers conned the fans into taking part in. I want a title fight, I want the biggest stars attatched. I don't want John Cena dropping the title to Roman Reigns and pretending like it's a big deal, when he's lost that fucking title over a dozen times already, and he'll just get it back in a few weeks when the ratings don't go up.

Amen. Flair's 16 title reigns were over the course of what..  20 years?  Cena has 15 reigns in 9 years. Who gives a shit anymore. I understand that times are different but there's only so many times people can watch Cena overcome the odds before they are sick and tired of it and the ratings and buy rates show it. When Edge wins the title, it's something different..  ratings go way up. When Mark Henry kills Orton it's something different... the SD! ratings went up. I'm pretty sure when Ryback was being pushed into the main event scene the buy rates were solid. It's time for a real change.

There's also the fact that when Flair was in his prime, there weren't two world titles in control of the same company. Guys like Miz, Khali,Swagger, Ziggler, heck, even Sheamus, del Rio, Punk and Bryan (since their WHC reigns were before they were huge WWE-caliber stars in the eyes of management) would have never even sniffed the title in those days.

There's a fine line between rolling the dice on a new face like Edge, Orton, or that guy who won at WM XX, and just being complete fuck ups booking wise. The infrastructure to build new stars is not in place. Just a few short months ago, anyone who knew anything would have agreed that Reigns was going to be "the guy." Now, the machine is shoving him down peoples' throats, completely forgoing the organic nature of his initial popularity. If he's not ready by Mania, he's still going to get the title-- it's just a sad reality that once he does, he's going to get the Diesel/Punk/Foley treatment of being a World Champion who happens to not be Shawn, Austin, or Cena, and maybe gets the semi-main slot. That;s just my predicuitijn

I just completely disagree.  Austin/Brock is bigger without the belt, since with the belt you know it doesn't fucking matter at all who wins, they won't have the belt for long.  Without the title, it's a clash of two massive stars and two eras and all that.  With it it's just wondering which one is going to put over Cena in a month.

I definitely see Brock vs Cena ending in a DQ. Hell In A Cell is up next, and it wouldn't make any sense to start the next Title feud with a feud ending blow off match. The whole story since Summerslam has been whether Cena's out of his depth in a fight against a monster like Lesnar, so I reckon tonight he'll prove that he isn't by fighting dirty, taking it to Brock and waffling him with a chair or something to see him off. Then Heyman has fuel for a couple more promos where he taunts Cena about turning to the dark side, building up HIAC as the final collision between the two. From there, you can either have Cena scrape the victory and get MITB'd by Rollins, or have Rusev cost Cena the match to keep him strong in defeat and move him onto someone else.

I don't hate Austin enough to want to see him come back and face Brock. Does anyone seriously think that would be a good idea? I think Austin/Cena would be a much better/safer choice. Austin is a huge Cena fan, and I'm sure he'd be at the top of Steve's list(second only to Austin/Fly 2)

I think a Cena match or the much rumored Triple H match would be better and safer bets. I know a lot of people would shit on them doing it but I wouldn't mind seeing the match with Hunter. It'd be nice to see one last final Match between them just like I wouldn't mind seeing one last Hunter/Rock match. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Steve Austin will be 50 by the time Wrestlemania comes around and his neck is made of tissue paper. Brock Lesnar eats people...and their cars. Is this really what ANYONE wants to see?

It reminds me when 20 year olds got into wrestling for the first time in the 05-08 timeframe and decided that ECW was the best thing evar and they needed to return.  What you got was a lazy, ineffective product that was so watered down it made the old ECW sem spectacular by comparison.  

• Like 1

As someone who was anti-Austin during the Attitude Era, yes, I want Brock Lesnar to destroy Steve Austin. And before Lesnar throws the first German Suplex I want him to whisper in Austin's ear "This is for Stacy Keibler, mother fucker."

• Like 5