DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Seconds just shipped. So damn excited.

I finally got a chance to read Seconds; I love the library.  I did not like the main character, which is weird since I'm usually cool with unlikable protagonists.  Scott Pilgrim is pretty much an inconsiderate loser, but there is a certain aloof charm to him.  Katie has way more sense as a character yet keeps sabotaging her world(s) by ignoring warning signs from her own head.  I also wish the secondary characters were more interesting and developed too.  The secondary characters are what made Scott Pilgrim fun.

I did like that the narration of the story came from Katie's own thoughts.  It was a cute move to have her verbally interact with her own thoughts/narration.  Not a bad message about regrets, second chances, and acceptance too.

Ditto, for the most part.  I didn't strictly dislike Katie, but after a point, the way she just KEPT going back to the mushrooms over and over again got annoying.  It was like that one terrible South Park episode where it took Towelie forever and ever to realize that smoking weed BEFORE he tried to solve a problem was a bad idea.  Which is too bad, I liked most of the rest of the book and thought the artwork was even better than what O'Malley did in Scott Pilgrim.  

I really want the Archer & Armstrong movie to actually get made. I worry that Hollywood would nerf the Dominion to make them less obviously an offshoot of the Independent Baptist Church in particular and angry-right Christianity in general to cover their asses. But I wanna see the Creation Museum as Illuminati bunker, I want to see Project Rising Spirit (with HARD Corps, Bloodshot or both getting cameos) and I wanna see the Null. (The Black Bloc and the One Percent are probably the best 'elevator pitch' secret societies, but the latter is at least as politically touchy as the Dominion and the former, a group of ex-henchmen trying to fuck with the secret societies that abused and discarded them, may be too inside-baseball for the mundies.)

• Like 2

A guy at work, in his early to mid 20s, did not know/what Archie is.

He was talking about Walking Dead and i mentioned they did a really cool zombie pastiche in Archie and he didnt know it. He did know Sabrina.

A few years back I grabbed that Punisher/Archie crossover cheap at a con. Was at my cousin's house showing her 8 year old son the comics. He grabbed that issue all excited. Then looked at me and asked "Who is Archie?" Took him to the con the next day. Told the dealer about it,and he gave my little cousin a handful of Archie comics for free. But I doubt most kids know who Archie is now. I rarely see the digests at checkouts now.

I'm not surprised.  Sabrina at least had a semi-recent TV show; why should young people know who the hell Archie is?  Aside from that one Punisher crossover, I'm not sure that I've read a single Archie book.  Aside from the occasional "you won't believe how EDGY Archie's new comic is!" like the gay-friend one or the "Archie dies in the future" one, how often do you even hear about that title in the mainstream?  

I recently burned through all of iZombie in a marathon.  Really fun book, sort of a Being Human-style mashup of an intelligent zombie who by day works as a gravedigger (in order for easy access to human brains that nobody will miss) and by night hangs out with her best friends, an air-headed ghost and a nerdy were-terrier.  And then mummies, vampires, Frankenstein monsters, poltergeists, cyborgs, serial killers, brains in jars, ordinary non-intelligent zombies, Men In Black, talking monkeys, and ancient Templar-style orders of monster-slayers all get involved.  It's all a heck of a lot of fun, except for a heartbreakingly rushed and abrupt ending which came outta nowhere and felt like a lame Alan Moore wannabe, which is all the more jarring when tacked onto such a lightweight and breezy barely-even-horror comic.  

Also: didya ever want to angrily throw a book across the room, not because it's bad, but because it's really good AND it's preemptively stealing some ideas which you had invented yourself?  Welcome to my reaction to Rat Queens, a hella fun indy fantasy comic.  It's about the crazy, violent, sexy, funny misadventures of an AD&D-style band of adventurers called the Rat Queens, a female quartet made of a surly redneck elf mage with the world's foulest mouth, an atheist human cleric who is really conflicted that all her magic is powered by the damned spirits of innocent children, a hipster dwarf warrior who uses a designer sword ironically and started shaving her beard before it was cool to do so, and a halfling thief who is a barely-functioning drug addict and nymphomaniac.  It does damn near the exact same style and tone of adventures that I'd been working on in my own stories about cranky dysfunctional fantasy adventurers (except mine was about a buddy duo, rather than a group) and oh dear lord my jealousy is palpable.  

Then again, the artist/co-creator of that series just got arrested for beating his ex-wife, so maybe it won't be around for long... who knows?  And it's also that tiresome sort of pseudo-feminist comic which proudly trumpets how they draw women's bodies that aren't just designed for fanservice, which in reality translates to "one of the characters has SMALL boobs (but the other three are all proportioned like Barbie, and anyway all four of 'em are young and skinny and have flawless complexions)".  

• 3 weeks later...

So after months of hype, The Valiant finally started yestetday. It's not bad, but it feels a little off for such a huge project. Lemme and Kinston have a good handle on Kay, Gilad and Bloodshot but their voice for Armstrong feels wonky. I'm also generally not a big fan of four issue stories that don't even have the setup finished in #1 (Ninjak doesn't even appear, and this series is the springboard for his ongoing.) Still, the art is gorgeous, it picks up the Geomancer/Null story from A&A, and I have faith that once all the pices are on the board business will pick up.

My friend Kyle's OGN, SEXCASTLE(~!) got picked up by Image!  If you like 80s action movies, wrestling, comedy, and incredible writing, you NEED to pick it up in March.  It's literally the best book I've read in the past few years.

fistburger001.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My friend Kyle's OGN, SEXCASTLE(~!) got picked up by Image!  If you like 80s action movies, wrestling, comedy, and incredible writing, you NEED to pick it up in March.  It's literally the best book I've read in the past few years.

fistburger001.jpg

Kyle is a great guy.  I've met him a few times at Comic Cons in the past.  I helped Kickstart Sexcastle and I love The Ballad Of Ricky Thunder.  Always a fun guy to talk wrestling and Chikara (in particular) with.

• 2 weeks later...

why should young people know who the hell Archie is?  

i asked this a few years ago and got attacked for it. my larger question involved sales #s for Archie books, but i don't know a single person that actually follows Archie, or has read an Archie comic, or anything.  i picked up a couple a few years back due to them having a few modern appearances of the Red Circle folk, but even my friends that enjoy comics were all "why the hell did you pick up Archie?"

I just finished Box Brown's graphic biography Andre the Giant: Life and Legend and it was pretty good.  There's not much in the story that's new to old hardcore fans like us, but I could tell that he pretty much stuck to the facts (as far as we know them, anyway) and wasn't making up any fictional horseshit just to jazz up the story.  It's a fairly minimalist comic of the indy style, sparse black-and-white artwork and a lack of long speeches; think of it like a Jim Jarmusch movie in print form.  Kinda reminded me of what's more typical in European comics, like the work of that Norwegian fellow Jason.  The story itself is pretty humanizing, it does everything possible to demythologize The Eighth Wonder Of The World and just tell the story of Andre Roussimoff: complex, moody, taciturn man.  It includes the bad stories along with the good, fully showing just how much of a dick Andre could be when he was in a bad mood.  But that's kind of the point here; it's neither a hagiography nor a Behind The Music expose, it's simply a "this happened, and then that happened" episodic saga that tries to sum up the big man's big life without ever needing to hammer us over the head with its points.  If nothing else gets your interest, it's got glowing blurbs from Mick Foley and Mandy Patinkin on the cover, along with several various noted authors, just to let you know this is bonafide and not some cheap wrexploitation knockoff.  

• 2 weeks later...

Comixology just added a shit ton of Humanoids stuff. Nearly all Jodorowsky, but the newest reissue of Barbarella (with dialogue adapted by DeConnick) is on there too. And if you've ever wanted to read Incal without (a) censorship or (b) super deluxe hardcover pricing, it's all there for six bucks an album and $2 for the first one.

Just finished a re-read of Lazarus. Reading monthly is cool, but it really pops when reading as a big chunk, so you can remember all the little details in the world buildin g stuff.

Needless to say, Lark's art is stellar.

I finally bingeread the entire Hypernaturals series by Abnett & Lanning. I always put off reading it, because noone ever talked about it, so I assumed it's lackluster.

But I was wrong, this is really really good, almost on par with GotG I'd say. Such a shame it only lasted for 12 issues, they could have told stories in that universe for years and now that DnA have split apart the chance of it ever returning are probably nil.