DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I love that Valiant has an established and self-identifying cult called the One Percent, which makes human sacrifices to ensure that they profit no matter what happens to the rest of the free market.  I especially love that random conspiracy nuts in Quantum and Woody mention shit that (I assume; I am only up to A&A #11) involved them in Archer&Armstrong, and other random conspiracy nuts laugh it off because it's just too goofy to claim that killer nuns targeted the One Percent, which is different from the Illuminati.

Hack/Slash Omnibus Vol. 4. Dug this one. I liked the renewed focus on the Black Label Society, the addition of Cat Curio, and the revelations on the new Sheriff and Samhein. One thing I did notice reading this one though was that they seemed to skip out on several stories including the one where Bomb Queen and Cassie first meet and one where some of Vlad's origin and family is revealed. Not sure why they did that as it left me just a little confused. Still, overall a pretty fun read.

Yeah, although often apologists for the original incarnation tell the story as "We couldn't do anything with our books until after Deathmate, Deathmate was a year behind schedule because of Liefeld et al., so Image killed Valiant."  Honestly, I don't give a shit about the pre-Acclaim version of Valiant.  I loved VH2, I'm loving the modern version.  But this is just bad mojo.

So I've been talking up parts of Valiant 3.0 pretty hard here the past couple months.  Now they're doing chromium wraparound covers.  I feel vaguely betrayed, even though as a digital-only consumer it affects me not at all.

That reminds me of how much I need to catch up with X-O Man of War & Harbinger Wars. I only read the first arc of X-O.

• 2 weeks later...

2 more issues to go of Dark Cybertron, and I'll be glad to be done with it.  The Prowl/Chromedome 'reunion' this week was pretty neat, but all in all it still feels like two more interesting stories being derailed for a big clusterfuck...even though one of those two books has been doing nothing BUT building to the clusterfuck for two full years.  The need to focus on characters getting new Deluxe-class toys hasn't helped.  But I'm sounding like a broken record.  Looking forward to Season 2 of MTMTE (and the new Brainstorm figure!) more than Armor Hunters, Original Sin or whatever DC is doing this summer.

Read Classic GI Joe Volumes 14 & 15 thus finishing up Hama's original run. There is some fun stuff like Snake Eyes going Rambo, a plot to stop a large asteroid from destroying Earth that may have been ripped off by Armageddon, and Scarlet going undercover while making friends with the most ridiculously named character in the series, Dr. Biggles-jones. That said, there is a distinct lack of focus in the final volumes outside of Cobra Commander regaining his lost assets via mind control. The final issue with Snake Eyes talking about the reasons his old team became soldiers and their fates was great and good issue to go out on. Overall, I've enjoyed the run despite its ridiculousness at times along with the occasional dull time.

IDW has done it again.  They have an Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle comic with Mark Evanier and Roger Langridge on creative.  Can't wait to dive in and read this.  IDW may be my favorite comic book  company of the year.

Read Classic GI Joe Volumes 14 & 15 thus finishing up Hama's original run. There is some fun stuff like Snake Eyes going Rambo, a plot to stop a large asteroid from destroying Earth that may have been ripped off by Armageddon, and Scarlet going undercover while making friends with the most ridiculously named character in the series, Dr. Biggles-jones. That said, there is a distinct lack of focus in the final volumes outside of Cobra Commander regaining his lost assets via mind control. The final issue with Snake Eyes talking about the reasons his old team became soldiers and their fates was great and good issue to go out on. Overall, I've enjoyed the run despite its ridiculousness at times along with the occasional dull time.

I have vague memories of being super disappointed at the time that Hama's take on Star Brigade was dialed down to fit in the universe he had built, rather than being the batshit loco space opera described on the toys' file cards (wherein Cobra had somehow enslaved entire planets).  I haven't read any of the comics since they were new, though, and no longer own the vast majority of them.  I need to get round to rereading them at some point with the expectations of a grownup...

• 2 weeks later...

King's Watch #5 (flash gordon/phantom/mandrake) came out today. excellent miniseries from Dynamite, i'd highly recommend it. definitely sets up further adventures of the solo members and potentially the group also.

King's Watch #5 (flash gordon/phantom/mandrake) came out today. excellent miniseries from Dynamite, i'd highly recommend it. definitely sets up further adventures of the solo members and potentially the group also.

Flash Gordon 1 (also by Parker) came out too.