DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Methinks you read a bit too much into the movie there, chief.  It was a harmless action revenge picture with some Albanian bad guys, which they purposely probably chose because most people can't unfortunately find Albania on a map. 

Or the screenwriters had just seen Wag the Dog.

Which, if you're a screenwriter, is never a bad idea.

This deserves all the likes.

Methinks you read a bit too much into the movie there, chief.  It was a harmless action revenge picture with some Albanian bad guys, which they purposely probably chose because most people can't unfortunately find Albania on a map. 

Or the screenwriters had just seen Wag the Dog.

Which, if you're a screenwriter, is never a bad idea.

This deserves all the likes.

You heard?

I don't know how controversial it is, but Nancy Botwin is the most unlikable main character in the history of television.

I had to look up who that is.

Are we talking deliberately unlikable (like Buffalo Bill or Archie Bunker or Frank Burns) or not (jerry seinfeld)?

Unintentional, I'd believe.

Seinfeld is really high on that list too. Never found the show funny.

• Like 1

Miracle is Sports Cliche 101. 

True story though.  So "Sports Cliche 101" or not, it works.

True story filtered through Sports Cliche 101. What you get is a good movie, not a historical transcription.

They didn't take too many liberties with the truth.  Herb Brooks didn't have his roster picked ahead of time as shown in the movies and they slightly altered a couple other things but, for the most part, the movie is pretty dead-on.  The "again.  Again.  Again.  Again" practice thing really happened, the speech I showed above really happened, the game (obviously) really happened, etc.  It's one of the most-accurate "based on a true story" sports movies ever.  Way more accurate than, say, We Are Marshall, which is also awesome.

I didn't think Annabelle was horrible. In fact, I thought it was unremarkable in every way. Merely decent. Some bullshit but some cool shit to offset things in a perfect balance of mediocrity

Which is better than outright sucking which is what the reviews are all saying

I don't know how controversial it is, but Nancy Botwin is the most unlikable main character in the history of television.

I had to look up who that is.

Are we talking deliberately unlikable (like Buffalo Bill or Archie Bunker or Frank Burns) or not (jerry seinfeld)?

Unintentional, I'd believe.

Seinfeld is really high on that list too. Never found the show funny.

Seinfeld has aged horribly IMO. I used to swear it was the greatest show ever made, but having recently watched a few episodes I just don't laugh at it the way I used to.

I didn't think Annabelle was horrible. In fact, I thought it was unremarkable in every way. Merely decent. Some bullshit but some cool shit to offset things in a perfect balance of mediocrity

I've been down on "Annabelle" ever since I found out the real "haunted" doll is a Raggedy Ann. That's 1000x scarier than a Victorian doll.

I've been down on "Annabelle" ever since I found out the real "haunted" doll is a Raggedy Ann. That's 1000x scarier than a Victorian doll.

We talked about that in the October Horrordays thread

My favorite moment came at the end of the movie.

SPOILER!

The family unit all go out for ice cream sundaes. Her boyfriend-type is late. They all ordered vanilla. But they ordered strawberry for him. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

If I learned anything from Konnan's pre-match spiels in WCW it means that they think he's gay.

• Like 2

The Pirate Movie is a criminally underrated movie.

Because...?

Christian Bale's best performance ever was in Velvet Goldmine. He manages to play the same character at two very different ages, at two very different stages of his life, and totally convince as both. At no stage does the movie actually allow him to engage in any fireworks, a lot of the time he's the cypher for the audience who sees these incredible events unfolding before him (or hears about them having happened years later, without having been aware at the time), but he's still able to bring the watcher along with him on the story.

Also, Toni Collette is much better looking in real life than any of the characters she's ever played on film are. Like Lena Headey, really.

Because...?

Because people looked harder at it as though it was supposed to be a serious movie/musical.  It was a spoof on Pirates of the Penzance and it was definitely silly in an 80's kind of way.  Also, Ted Hamilton(The Pirate King) and William Bell(The Major General)  did their best to turn shit into apple butter, being that Kristy McNichol and Chris Atkins who are lightweights, were the stars of the movie.  Plus....the songs man.  The damn songs.  I still have Pumping and Blowing stuck in my head after all these years.

• Like 1

Because...?

Because people looked harder at it as though it was supposed to be a serious movie/musical. It was a spoof on Pirates of the Penzance and it was definitely silly in an 80's kind of way. Also, Ted Hamilton(The Pirate King) and William Bell(The Major General) did their best to turn shit into apple butter, being that Kristy McNichol and Chris Atkins who are lightweights, were the stars of the movie. Plus....the songs man. The damn songs. I still have Pumping and Blowing stuck in my head after all these years.

Only thing I really despised was Kristy McNichol's 4th wall mugging. That went a slight bit too far for me, but otherwise, not too shabby a film.

I wouldn't say Kramer was a nice person. Charming, sure. I mean maybe his heart was in the right place a lot of the time but he still did a ton of fucked up shit that made people's lives very difficult.

It was definitely intentional for them to be unlikable but the show explored so many things that are thought of by many but not really discussed openly..

Drop Dead Gorgeous was actually written by a woman who worked on The Simpsons in the '90s...and it comes off as a live action version The Simpsons at certain points.

There's almost as many future stars in that as in Mean Girls. Kirsten Dunst, Britanny Murphy, Denise RIchards, and Amy Adams. Not too shabby.  . . .