DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Guest The Magnificent 7

American Beauty is crap on so many levels, most of them covered already.  The Colonel character is a joke of a character, a right wing homophobe who served in the marines who collects nazi plates, beats his kid, and has repressed homosexual feelings himself. 

I just can't take movies seriously that have such lazily written characters as props like that. 

Can we just say that American Beauty and Office Space are both shit?

American Beauty is a lame movie about unlikable narcissists doing selfish things that somehow got passed off as having some sort of deep message.  It was overrated for its time but nobody even talks about it when discussing great films anymore, do they?  The plot is first world problem garbage.  Oh you're an older dude with a good job, hot wife and a decent enough kid but you're unhappy?  Please fuck off with that bullshit.  Who were we supposed to root for in that clusterfuck?  Wow, exposing the unhappy underbelly of suburbia was so artistic and transgressive, I'm sure it was never done before.  Typical offensive Hollywood cliches about a life that these writers know nothing about.  I'm coming to understand what right-wingers mean when they malign Hollywood when I watch American Beauty, and that's pretty fucking bad.

Office Space is a middling comedy that is overrated right now.  People still quote this three-joke movie and it's been, what, over a decade?  Christ.  It's like "Clerks" for people who work in an office.  I remember somebody said to me, "oh you didn't like Clerks?  You must've never worked in retail."  THAT'S narrowcasting right there.  If you've worked a dead-end office job, you'll love"Office Space?"   Fuck you.  "Quotable" comedies can fuck right off.   

The O-Face joke will never not be funny though.

Also, I kind of agree on Scrubs.  I actually liked the JD character, but everyone else was so much more interesting than him.  The show got more interesting when it focused on those characters, especially if they had something that focused on Kelso, which was far too rare.

• Like 1

Can we just say that American Beauty and Office Space are both shit?

American Beauty is a lame movie about unlikable narcissists doing selfish things that somehow got passed off as having some sort of deep message.  It was overrated for its time but nobody even talks about it when discussing great films anymore, do they?  The plot is first world problem garbage.  Oh you're an older dude with a good job, hot wife and a decent enough kid but you're unhappy?  Please fuck off with that bullshit.  Who were we supposed to root for in that clusterfuck?  Wow, exposing the unhappy underbelly of suburbia was so artistic and transgressive, I'm sure it was never done before.  Typical offensive Hollywood cliches about a life that these writers know nothing about.  I'm coming to understand what right-wingers mean when they malign Hollywood when I watch American Beauty, and that's pretty fucking bad.

In all seriousness, Alison Janney's character is, by far, the most sympathetic character. And she barely says a word or even has much screen-time. She doesn't have to whine or go into some big self-exploration, you just instantly know: this woman's life is genuinely fucking miserable.

Man, the way Janney's character just sat there staring blankly while Fitz was laughing his ass off at an old war movie was soul-sucking, as well as the way she just unemotionally says "bye" to the kid when he says he's running away, like she can't pull up the emotion to be sad about it, but knows that him running away is the best thing that could happen to him.

Here's a couple:

I liked the X-Files a LOT better when Robert Patrick replaced Duchovny.

Also, Scrubs got a lot better as they used Zach Braff less and less.

I wouldn't say I liked it better but Season 8 of X-Files when Doggett was brought in was one of the best IMO. He was a great character

Also, I kind of agree on Scrubs.  I actually liked the JD character, but everyone else was so much more interesting than him.  The show got more interesting when it focused on those characters, especially if they had something that focused on Kelso, which was far too rare.

I recently went on a binge watch on Scrubs on Netflix.  I have to agree, season 8, they do a lot more of this and my favorites are ones where they dont focus on JD like the Ted focused ep where they hook him up with Gooch and all that. 

WAITING is the most true-to-life and, IMO, funniest of all those "occupational" comedies, anyway, even with all of Ryan Reynolds' bullshit...

In your hearts, you all know that Clerks is the best occupational comedy.   The internets has fooled you into hating Kevin Smith because all of the cool kids appear to do it.

"My girlfriend sucked thirty seven dicks.."

"IN A ROW~!?"

All of y'all know you laughed until your stomach hurt.  You probably pissed yourself when Jay made the circus seal reference.

Clerks is still hilarious, still holds up well, still powers past all it's many baked in problems.  One of the best comedies of the 90's, period.

Also, I've never worked a dead-end office job, and I still love Office Space.

Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 remake is better than the original. .

Even John Carpenter admits that Halloween 2 was a hack job, so there is some truth to idea that Rob's sequel to his own vision of Halloween was better than Carpenter's sequel that was put out there to make money off of the slasher movie boom.

• Like 1

The first two acts of Zombie's Halloween is an excellent psychology driven horror/thriller film.

The third act when he actually finally gets down to the business of remaking Halloween is significantly less effective, as he abandons pretty much everything that worked in the first 2/3s of the film.  It's not terrible, but it doesn't work.

If you can get past the fact that movie is not John Carpenter's dark fairy tale, and is rather a much more human slasher, it's a perfectly entertaining two hours.

H2 is...  It's a mess, but it has some really strong points.  I love the fact that it's centered around A.) Sheer brutality in the kills rather than extreme gore and "cool kills" that mar the subgenre and B.) the survivors of the first film, especially Laurie, dealing with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.  But that fucking white horse/shared dreams/what the actual fuck stuff is terrible.

• Like 1

Clerks is still hilarious, still holds up well, still powers past all it's many baked in problems. One of the best comedies of the 90's, period.

Also, I've never worked a dead-end office job, and I still love Office Space.

I think the Clerks cartoon is the best View Askew verse property.

• Like 2

The O-Face joke will never not be funny though.

Also, I kind of agree on Scrubs. I actually liked the JD character, but everyone else was so much more interesting than him. The show got more interesting when it focused on those characters, especially if they had something that focused on Kelso, which was far too rare.

Drew's "O-O-O" is my ringtone for ... this girl I know. I'm classy!

• Like 1

there are SO MANY bad opinions going on right now.

truths:

Office Space rules.

i've never seen American Beauty.

Clerks is one of the best comedies around, and like odessa just said, the cartoon is fucking phenomenal.

as a huge fan of the x-files, the first season with Agent T-1000 is almost like you can feel the creators being re-energized after a number of mediocre seasons. but then they bring in the female agent (forget her name) and the show just crumbles and sucks. i've never been able to make it thru that season.

is there anybody here that doesn't appreciate "Big Trouble in Little China"? because i would probably e-fight that person.

Is anyone who doesn't like Office Space ready to go to bat for Beavis and Butthead do America or Idiocracy as Mike Judge's best film?