DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

The only good Rambo film is First Blood.

Besides Conan the Barbarian and Predator none of Arnold's 80s films have held up.

Will Smith is one of the worst actors of the past 40 years.

Independence Day was terrible.

Seven by Fincher is horrible over-rated and kind of dull.

What do you have against Running Man?

Arnold is horrible in that film. I wish they had followed the novel closer. 

Will Smith is one of the worst actors of the past 40 years.

Ugh, you're just begging someone to post that Fresh Prince clip again, aren't you?

And besides, Will is fucking Olivier compared to Jayden.

That's like saying shit on one shoe is better than shit on both shoes. No matter what you got shit on you.

• Like 1

Wait, you want me to choose between Airplane!, Young Frankenstein, and Life of Brian? You bastard.

Yeah a parody movie tourney would be pretty damn epic I think...

...at least it would be after we clear out all the (insert genre) Movie fodder from the 21st century out in the first round...

Blazing Saddles is the best of that list, and I like all of those movies alot. . .

I love Blazing Saddles, but it's not the best parody movie made by Mel Brooks, staying Gene Wilder, released that year.

I'm not saying they're better movies by any means, but I'd rather watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights or Spaceballs than Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles any day. Young Frankenstein sort of feels like work to me.

Thats just crazy talk.

I think Young Frankenstein is better-crafted movie, but Blazing Saddles is funnier. Of course, the Producers is better than both, but thats a different argument.

Young Frankenstein is more deadpan than most of Mel's movies.  His comedy is usually REALLY broad; I can understand if that's your favorite style, why the restrained version might come off as less funny.  But personally I think it's Mel's greatest work ever.  

Regarding bobholly's hatred of Arnold: I guess I can understand dismissing Commando, but surely you're not saying that Twins was a piece of shit?  That was one of Schwarzy's legit best acting performances, portraying a really unique character in a fashion that nobody else could've nailed.  

1) The Aliens should never reach Earth. It's the entire point of their existence and when they do it would be game over (another reason to ignore the AVP films)

2) Why would it grow wings when it's based on human DNA? The look of it was upsetting and disgusting and disarmingly baby-esque. It kinda tugged at the heart strings while also being horrific. 'd take that over a fucking G-virus knock off any day of the week

200 years later/government as the big bad instead of Weyland Yutani I wasn't too hot on. The cloning thing seemed abit lazy/deus ex but presented interesting aspects of Ripley's character

1. Why not?  To just say "Aliens on Earth is totally off-limits and should never even be attempted" is painfully uncreative, if not practically censorious.  There's LOTS of great stories you could do with Aliens on Earth.  The comics (and especially Steve Perry's interesting post-Alien 3-slightly-retconned novelizations) messed around with plenty of fascinating concepts in that vein, and barely even scratched the surface of everything you could do.  

2. Who cares?  These things are already scientifically impossible.  A creature like that couldn't possibly function in real life.  So why not take the concept out for a real spin?  The ugly alien baby did not tug at my heartstrings one little bit, and in fact I resented the filmmakers' clumsy attempts to manipulate me in that area.  It's a big dumb omni-violent monster, it doesn't deserve any sympathy.  And it certainly wasn't SCARY, Ripley's showdown with it was a pale rip-off of her previous iconic standoffs with the first alien and the Queen in similar circumstances.  I'd rather have an attempt at some grand spectacle, like Cameron pulled off and like Whedon wrote down, than the half-assed budget-saving bullshit that Fox compromised on with what we got.  

Really, has anyone involved adaquetly explained just how the fuck eggs showed up on the Sulacu when there was no way possible for it to have happened?  I know its nitpicking, but I'm a stickler for continuity between films in a series, and it just wasn't there between Aliens and 3.  I did grant a bit of leeway for 3 and Resurrection that they somehow managed to get a usable hybrid blood sample out of an active smelting chamber, because honestly, Resurrection was a perfectly ok Alien movie until the Pregnant Queen reveal and Hybrid birth.  I don't think I've ever seen a perfectly acceptable mindless flick go off the rails SO fucking fast, and I watched all the Resident Evil movies.

Nope.  They pulled it straight outta their ass.  Even when I first saw the movie in the theater as a 13-year-old kid, I realized that made no fucking sense whatsoever.  As for the blood sample; I could make an argument that it's possible Clemens could've taken some blood samples from her while she was comatose and put them in a freezer, only to have them totally forgotten once the shit hit the fan, and it took people a long time (although 200 years seems excessive) to figure out how to pull a Jurassic Park and bring her back to life.  

The only compelling part of Magnolia is the Tom Cruise character.  The rest is a bunch of horseshit. 

Just no, no, and no. This movie was a fantastic visual representation of how absolutely poisonous regret is. I love PT Anderson and this is by far my favorite of all his films. Everyone brought it and Robards was just magical.

Guest The Magnificent 7

The only compelling part of Magnolia is the Tom Cruise character.  The rest is a bunch of horseshit. 

Just no, no, and no. This movie was a fantastic visual representation of how absolutely poisonous regret is. I love PT Anderson and this is by far my favorite of all his films. Everyone brought it and Robards was just magical.

It = more melodrama than every soap opera in history combined.  Julianne Moore's pharmacy scene was hilariously bad. 

I like some of Anderson's films a whole lot (There Will Be Blood is brilliant), but Magnolia is one of the worst experiences I've ever had to sit through in a movie theater whenever Cruise was not on screen.  At least his over top performance was entertaining.

Young Frankenstein is more deadpan than most of Mel's movies.  His comedy is usually REALLY broad; I can understand if that's your favorite style, why the restrained version might come off as less funny.  But personally I think it's Mel's greatest work ever.  

Regarding bobholly's hatred of Arnold: I guess I can understand dismissing Commando, but surely you're not saying that Twins was a piece of shit?  That was one of Schwarzy's legit best acting performances, portraying a really unique character in a fashion that nobody else could've nailed.  

I rewatched Twins a few years back. Chuckled a few times but never had a good laugh. All I ask from a comedy or sitcom is 2 good laughs. If I don't get them the fllm/TV show has failed in my eyes.

Life Stinks.  Space Balls has not aged well.

Yep. I remember when I was in grade school Spaceballs was this huge deal, but it's really pretty bad.

Men In Tights was kind of a comeback for Mel after those two stinkers. It also had Dave Chapelle in a major role about a decade before anyone knew who Dave Chapelle was.

I don't know that Dead And Loving It was that bad as much as it let people down after the hype of Brooks and Nielsen collaborating.