DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Controversial opinion: I find Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who to be vastly overrated.  Never understood how those shows developed cults. 

I never really got into Star Wars or Star Trek. Star Wars I think was just a bit before me, as I was a He-Man/Transformers/GI Joe guy. I have fond memories of watching Dr. Who on PBS as a kid in the 80's, but I've never really revisited it as an adult, nor do I have any desire whatsoever to watch the recent stuff.

Disliking it is fine.  "It's not a Hulk movie" is baffling.  If technobabble exposition is the best you have...

Seriously, even the fucking Hulk Dogs come straight out of a story from the comics.  Ditto for the daddy issues.  It's edited in a way specifically meant to mimic reading a comic book.  For all the changes to Hulk's origin, it still comes down to Bruce saving someone else and thus being hit with the gamma radiation (as opposed to the tv show/Norton disaster...)  The psychology elements come straight from Byrne and PAD's runs on the book...

Disliking it is fine.  "It's not a Hulk movie" is baffling.  If technobabble exposition is the best you have...

Seriously, even the fucking Hulk Dogs come straight out of a story from the comics.  Ditto for the daddy issues.  It's edited in a way specifically meant to mimic reading a comic book.  For all the changes to Hulk's origin, it still comes down to Bruce saving someone else and thus being hit with the gamma radiation (as opposed to the tv show/Norton disaster...)  The psychology elements come straight from Byrne and PAD's runs on the book...

It was a joke.  It was based on "don't make a Batman movie, make a Tim Burton movie."  It was meant to be funny, not personally assail your enjoyment of the film or malign your tastes.  Lighten up.  No insult was intended.

How about this?  It wasn't fun.  Shouldn't super hero movies be fun?

Nobody goes to see a superhero movie because they want a depressing two hour meditation on daddy issues. 

You can pick elements and defend Lee by saying "it was from the comic!" but Hulk has been around since 1962 and has a long history, from which Lee cherrypicked the elements that appealed to his sensibilities as a filmmaker.  It just so happened that the things that appealed to him did not make for an enjoyable comic movie.  Is it "a Hulk movie" because it contains elements from the character's 40 year history?  That's for fans of the character to judge, I suppose.  But it wasn't good as a superhero film.

It was an Ang Lee movie first and a Hulk movie second.  Imagine a Quentin Tarantino  Hulk film with lots of bad language, pages-long discussions of pop culture, and gratuitous shots of feet.  But Quentin would still put in stuff from the comics.  Would you be okay with that?

Ang Lee picked the subject matter that he was interested in and made a dull, maudlin movie around it.  I liked The Ice Storm but I don't want to see that kind of thing in a movie about a giant green super hero.

What are the meta materials?  I found Prometheus to be a disjointed mess indicative of excessive studio meddling.  From what I heard, the studio told Scott to leave out a lot of the stuff that tied it to the Alien franchise because they wanted it to be more standalone, which really ruined it.

I still need to read the original script ("Alien: Engineers") to see how much better it should have been. 

• Like 1

What are the meta materials?  I found Prometheus to be a disjointed mess indicative of excessinve studio meddling.  From what I heard, the studio told Scott to leave out a lot of the stuff that tied it to the Alien franchise because they wanted it to be more standalone, which really ruined it.

I still need to read the original script ("Alien: Engineers") to see how much better it should have been. 

Nope, Scott brought Lindeloff in and it was his idea to leave a lot of the stuff that tied it to the Alien franchise so it would be more standalone. Hence why he took the majority of the heat for its poor showing and lack of exposition and why Scott didn't want to bring him back. Although he did add the cool David bit at the beginning where he's watching Lawrence of Arabia and stuff

It's hard to say The Alien Engineers script is better than Prometheus the film but it definitely had the things we wanted/expected from Prometheus. It's here if you're interested:

http://www.joblo.com/scripts/Alien-Engineers-ORIGINAL-PROMETHEUS-SCRIPT.pdf

What are the meta materials?  I found Prometheus to be a disjointed mess indicative of excessinve studio meddling.  From what I heard, the studio told Scott to leave out a lot of the stuff that tied it to the Alien franchise because they wanted it to be more standalone, which really ruined it.

Nope, Scott brought Lindeloff in and it was his idea to leave a lot of the stuff that tied it to the Alien franchise so it would be more standalone. Hence why he took the majority of the heat for its poor showing and lack of exposition and why Scott didn't want to bring him back.

It's hard to say The Alien Engineers script is better than Prometheus the film but it definitely had the things we wanted/expected from Prometheus

So it was Lindelof and not the studio?  Somehow that makes it worse!  :D

I've never been a big fan of the Alien franchise(I saw Alien at least fifteen years ago and all I can remember about it is how boring the first scenes were) so  went in to promethus with a pretty open mind and I liked it alot. Poor Charlez Theron, run the other way! LOL

• Like 1

I've never been a big fan of the Alien franchise(I saw Alien at least fifteen years ago and all I can remember about it is how boring the first scenes were) so  went in to promethus with a pretty open mind and I liked it alot. Poor Charlez Theron, run the other way! LOL

Aliens > Alien

I'm kinda glad they chose Cameron over bringing back Ridley Scott.

Aliens > Alien

Haven't seen Aliens in forever, but I do remember liking it more. Haven't seen/don't care to see the rest of the series. . . 

Don't worry, you're not missing anything.

Although I have warmed to 3 in my later years as its a better standalone than I gave it credit for. It still requires a lot of stuff to happen in Aliens that didn't and at no point was there enough time to.

Aliens > Alien

See I love Alien and hate Aliens. Aliens is like most Cameron movies,all flash with little substance.

Aliens > Alien

See I love Alien and hate Aliens. Aliens is like most Cameron movies,all flash with little substance.

It's funny because my love for Aliens is matched by my dislike for Avatar partially based on that reason.