DVDVR Message Board

Controversial movie/TV opinions

Reed

Tim Burton's Batman is really not very good at all.  It was good for 1989 when I was 14 and there were no comic book movies to compare it to, but today it's just embarrassing.  It was considered "more serious and dark" back then because we were stupid.  Watch it today and you'll see it's one (very short) step up from Adam West. 

Ding ding ding.  I remember walking out of the theater in '89 going "Really?  THAT was what everyone talked up so much?"  I thought it was very, very mediocre - at best.

I remember walking out of the theater in '89 with a deep feeling of relief( like I left the front door of my apartment open and my cat, who has never ventured into the outside world might have escaped, only to find my cat curled up on the couch looking at me like I'm some kind of idiot). '89 Batman rules.

Has a wacky slapstick accident off of Jabba's barge, does a Wilhelm scream, and falls into the Sarlaac Pit. 

I can only hope that at the moment of my death I have the presence of mind to do a perfect Willhelm Scream impression and that somehow it's caught on film.

which reminds me, I should probably start practicing. 

I remember getting the batman 89 vhs as a freshman in college and savaging it with a fellow comic book reading nerd on my floor.

What a dumb angry teenager i was.

Confession time. I was actually one of those people that sent a letter to Warner Bros. bemoaning the casting of Michael Keaton.  Oh when we are young and think we can make a difference!

I think Burton's films are good movies, they're just not good Batman films. This was particularly obvious in Batman Returns where Batman gets shoved aside for most of the movie because Burton clearly thought the villains were far more interesting.

I remain convinced the real reason Boba Fett first got his following is simply because Vader felt it necessary to go out of his way to instruct Fett not to disintegrate anyone.

No.  Fett has a cult following out of misplaced nostalgia for the cartoon that was embedded in the shitty Christmas special:

and because of the billions of proof of purchase stamps that needed to be mailed in so that you could get a free Boba Fett action figure.

Rocket%20Firing%20Boba%20Fett.jpg

I, unfortunately, got one of the figures issued after the recall.  Fucking choking hazard.

I maintain that Boba Fett suffered his embarassing death because Lucas was giving the Christmas special the middle finger.

Oh, and Karen Traviss is an asshole.  She wouldn't have gotten her rich and immersive Mandalorian lore retconned by a kids show if she'd had embraced the simple truth that the Jedi are supposed to be the good guys.

That version of Catwoman WAS more interesting.  She's awesome, the ultimate tweener, with Michelle Pfeiffer going for broke in my single favorite take on the role.  So it's a damn shame she had to share the movie with the Penguin, who takes up WAY too much screentime.  

Burton really Burton'd it up with Batman 2, including making Penguin a deformed emo goth with a sad backstory.  Also, real life penguins with missile backpacks, a goofy gang of circus freaks and Catwoman being brought back to life via cat licks.  This movie had more in common with the Schumacher Batman films than Burton fans would like to admit.

As I recall, according to one of the documentaries on the big DVD release many years back, Burton was reluctant to do the sequel, so Warner explicitly told him "don't make a Batman sequel, make a Tim Burton movie," and that's what he did.

I like Batman Returns.  I like Batman '89 too, for that matter.  I don't know that they're better movie than the Nolan films, but I'd rewatch Batman Returns again.  I have no desire to see any of of the Nolan films ever again.  I admire Dark Knight and DKR for technical merit, but don't find them much fun to sit through.

Controversial opinion: I find Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who to be vastly overrated.  Never understood how those shows developed cults. 

Tim Burton has made one good film: Ed Wood (which is actually great). Everything else is horrible. Pee Wee's Big Adventure is only enjoyable because it's Pee Wee Herman. Uwe Boll could have directed it and it would still be the same movie.

More American Graffiti is better than American Graffiti.

Not a fan of Big Fish or Beetlejuice?

No. I think Big Fish is the most recent movie of his i tried to watch. Just not for me, I guess.

Having not seen his version of Alice in Wonderland, I can only imagine the reason the Mad Hatter is mad is because his father wouldn't let him wear hats as a child.

What do you mean? More movies need an army of evil, missile-carrying penguins.

We just gotta chalk that up to Burton being a weirdo. I was watching his version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday and odd looking Deep Roy is singing dubbed over nonsensical songs. But since it's Tim Burton, he has to add an extra layer of bizarre by having Deep Roy be all the Oompa Loompas.