DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

New Showtime documentary debuting tonight I think about the history of the rise and eventual fall of Spring Break in Florida during the 80's.    Shows how important MTV was in making spring break something that you had to be.    As a high school/college kid of the 80's, those spring break special were amazing.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spring Broke was really good, it brought back a lot of nostalgia for me since I would watch MTV's Daytona Beach Spring Break coverage during my Jr. High and High School years. I totally remember watching the Alan Hunter takes a bus from some college in Ohio to Daytona Beach  segments and MTV forcing Kari Wurher from Remote Control to jump into a pool during a extremely cold Spring Break. 

Someone needs to do a doc on the Hawaiian Tropic guy, he's more of a hobo's version of a millionaire than Trump.

• 2 weeks later...

Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon was fucking incredible. National Lampoon has always been a blind spot to me that I never realized was so important; all I remember is issues at an old bookstore and, of course, the movies, with no clue as to how everything was tied together. Watching it was like finding the missing link to pretty much all American comedy that we've all grown up with. The fact that it had Simpsons guys even was just like, "REALLY?!" Then again I'm only 32, I'm sure some of you are groaning reading this and banging your walkers on the floor ;)

EDIT: Note, I grew up watching Saturday Night Live on Nick at Nite, watched the whole documentary about Animal House talking about Doug Kenney and own a copy of Wired by Bob Woodward but I still didn't remember anything about National Lampoon. I felt like a complete idiot watching that doc

Oh, yeah, it's totally hilarious. Makes me desperately want a Lampoon compendium; I bet there's a couple different volumes out there somewhere. 

One of the craziest things in the doc is them saying at one point Lampoon was the second most popular magazine in the entire country, second only to Cosmopolitan. Eight million copies sold a year of a magazine that had blatant nudity and it took them years to get the Playboy treatment! 

Went to a private showing off this here in Spokane on Friday night.  Fantastic movie that I highly recommend. The director and star, Dave Watkins, was there answering questions. Nice guy, incredibly upbeat, and I hope the movie is really successful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:00 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

Netflix is now showing their own Team Foxcatcher documentary, I'm about an hour in, it's major difference from the ESPN 30 for 30 is the home video footage and interviews with Dave's widow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZczesrBFRA

I am a little more than halfway through, and it's already one of the best sports documentaries I've ever seen. I think The Prince of Pennsylvania is more or less a great starter version for those unfamiliar with most of the figures involved. This one perfectly encapsulates the immerse insanity of John du Pont. The John du Pont Masters Wrestling Championships, which I had only heard about through stories on Sherdog, is perhaps the single most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life. I am saying this after also seeing in the same doc John du Point hiring a Secret Service security team to comb over 2,000 acres to see if there were mechanical trees hidden by his father years before and people hiding in the walls on the property.

I am still befuddled how Bennett Miller decided to make a movie focusing on the homoerotic nature of John's relationship with Mark Schultz instead of the mountain of material he had in front of him. Even with the great performances therein, it's still somehow one of the greatest cinematic botch-jobs ever.

The two documentaries are more than making up for that though.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 5:41 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am a little more than halfway through, and it's already one of the best sports documentaries I've ever seen. I think The Prince of Pennsylvania is more or less a great starter version for those unfamiliar with most of the figures involved. This one perfectly encapsulates the immerse insanity of John du Pont. The John du Pont Masters Wrestling Championships, which I had only heard about through stories on Sherdog, is perhaps the single most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life. I am saying this after also seeing in the same doc John du Point hiring a Secret Service security team to comb over 2,000 acres to see if there were mechanical trees hidden by his father years before and people hiding in the walls on the property.

I am still befuddled how Bennett Miller decided to make a movie focusing on the homoerotic nature of John's relationship with Mark Schultz instead of the mountain of material he had in front of him. Even with the great performances therein, it's still somehow one of the greatest cinematic botch-jobs ever.

The two documentaries are more than making up for that though.

My only disappoint with this one was that Mark declined to be a part of it,other than that, this was pretty note perfect. So many warning signs, such a tragedy. 

20 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

My only disappoint with this one was that Mark declined to be a part of it,other than that, this was pretty note perfect. So many warning signs, such a tragedy. 

I would be as well, but they were able to get the sides of almost everyone on that team save for someone like Angle who probably never wants to discuss it. I mean I saw the machine gun stuff with Chaid in the old articles from 1996 when it happened. However, I certainly didn't read about that U-Haul or the house being burned up next door. That's straight up maniacal, creepy stuff.

Also, that's another failure of the movie. Foxcatcher the film made you believe that team was the Schultz brothers, du Pont, and some other dudes. That team was made up of world champions, Olympic medalists, and array of people who had mad wrestling credentials that made Foxcatcher the Dream Team of amateur wrestling. Something that wasn't happening before and definitely certainly after. In the movie, Valentin Jordanov is just credited as "Bulgarian Wrestler" and just a non essential part of the film. Here in Team Foxcatcher, he is the pivotal person who drives a wedge (at least in du Pont's warped reality) between Dave Schultz and John du Pont as motivation for the murder. Why the hell would you leave that out?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would be as well, but they were able to get the sides of almost everyone on that team save for someone like Angle who probably never wants to discuss it. I mean I saw the machine gun stuff with Chaid in the old articles from 1996 when it happened. However, I certainly didn't read about that U-Haul or the house being burned up next door. That's straight up maniacal, creepy stuff.

Also, that's another failure of the movie. Foxcatcher the film made you believe that team was the Schultz brothers, du Pont, and some other dudes. That team was made up of world champions, Olympic medalists, and array of people who had mad wrestling credentials that made Foxcatcher the Dream Team of amateur wrestling. Something that wasn't happening before and definitely certainly after. In the movie, Valentin Jordanov is just credited as "Bulgarian Wrestler" and just a non essential part of the film. Here in Team Foxcatcher, he is the pivotal person who drives a wedge (at least in du Pont's warped reality) between Dave Schultz and John du Pont as motivation for the murder. Why the hell would you leave that out?

Because he thought slipping in nonexistent homoerotic subtext was more important. That's just what the LGBTQ+ community needs, gay panic. Be careful around those gays, if you don't return their affection they'll go all crazy pants and shoot ya brotha!

This popped up in my Facebook feed today.  Just thought it was funny.  "Okay Werner, now remember, we want you to get across the message that filmmaking is easy.  Ready?  And... we're rolling."

2csgzf6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2016 at 7:57 PM, RIPPA said:

I saw the Anthony Weiner documentary and it's everything I wanted and maybe more.  I might even find an excuse to see it again in theaters.  Yall need to see it.  The Weiner chase scene, alone.

I'm assuming most know this already, but in case you don't "The Resurrection of Jake Roberts" is now on Netflix Streaming. It's great. I cried. Not even going to make up an excuse like it was dusty in the room or cutting onions or whatever. I straight up cried.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2016 at 10:33 AM, MonteCarl said:

I'm assuming most know this already, but in case you don't "The Resurrection of Jake Roberts" is now on Netflix Streaming. It's great. I cried. Not even going to make up an excuse like it was dusty in the room or cutting onions or whatever. I straight up cried.

I just finished it up this morning, and while there were some emotional moments, to me it came off more as a sort of long form infomercial for DDP Yoga. 

• 2 weeks later...