DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Neville's stock has went way up over the last few months in my eyes. I used to see him as an uglier Evan Bourne, but he's improved at every facet of the game during the Zayn feud. Let's not overlook how good Neville was in all this. He played a fantastic ace. This feud to some kids was probably like Flair/Steamboat was to me as a kid. 

Also sign me up for some Balor & Itami vs Kidd & Cesaro matches please.

There's no way they'll lose that goofy aspect that you love.  But there's still plenty of great matches to balance that (last night is an excellent example).  The fact that in a lot of cases you have guys/girls who are goofy AND can have great matches is what makes NXT the best around.

Oh, almost forgot a hilarious moment.  During the Balor/Itami tag match, this happened:

"WE WANT KENTA!"

"NO!"

*five seconds pass*

"LET'S GO HIDEO!"

• Like 1

Tyson Kidd is pretty much the definition of what I want to watch.

Sami has made EVERYONE he's worked with since his debut look better -- Cesaro looked like the best wrestler alive, Bo Dallas's ridiculousness, Renee Young as amazing interviewer, Tyler Breeze, Neville, Tyson, etc. Hell, he got good matches out of Titus O'Neil. And he's managed to put guys over left-and-right yet still become the champion.

Man, if Sami was on the main roster and they told this story over the year, the IWC would be kicking and screaming about how he was getting buried.

I highly disagree with that. Sami's story was much better and more logically booked than Bryan's. Bryan beat the freaking top guy of the last 10 years clean BEFORE his road to redemption even started. Orton was ice cold with no momentum before taking the title, and the whole joining the Wyatt's thing was just shit. The fans had to force the booking they wanted for Bryan(because it wasn't going to happen otherwise) while the NXT crowd went along for the ride because they trust the booking.

I can't remember the last time a year long story was told and performed this well in a WWE ring.

Oh, and the other key thing worth noting:  This show is only an hour at most.  It's not 2 or 3 hours, so there's not as much of a chance for filler segments.  That, and there's no need to have everybody out there every week.  Just makes for a tighter show, with proper emphasis on stories that matter.

Man, if Sami was on the main roster and they told this story over the year, the IWC would be kicking and screaming about how he was getting buried.

The difference is nxt has nuance and subtlety. On the main roster, the storyline would be picked up and dropped multiple times. JBL would tell you  each week that the guy doesn't look like a wrestler and loses all of this matches when it matters. If he was actually over, he'd job a few times to Rusev. Instead of garnering sympathy, he'd come across as pathetic. 

• Like 1

Oh, and the other key thing worth noting: This show is only an hour at most. It's not 2 or 3 hours, so there's not as much of a chance for filler segments. That, and there's no need to have everybody out there every week. Just makes for a tighter show, with proper emphasis on stories that matter.

Huh? It was 2 hours.

Oh, and the other key thing worth noting: This show is only an hour at most. It's not 2 or 3 hours, so there's not as much of a chance for filler segments. That, and there's no need to have everybody out there every week. Just makes for a tighter show, with proper emphasis on stories that matter.

Huh? It was 2 hours.

Sorry if I didn't indicate it, but I meant the weekly shows.

The difference is nxt has nuance and subtlety. On the main roster, the storyline would be picked up and dropped multiple times. JBL would tell you  each week that the guy doesn't look like a wrestler and loses all of this matches when it matters. If he was actually over, he'd job a few times to Rusev. Instead of garnering sympathy, he'd come across as pathetic. 

Yeah, the biggest difference in the two stories is the commentary/recap. In NXT, Sami has always been treated like a big deal. Even the heel announcers talked about how talented he was and how much heart he had before wondering if he just didn't have what it takes to get to the next level. There wasn't anybody screaming "Look at this pasty redheaded goof with weird writing on his pants! He's a loser! And he's tiny!" The story they told - consistently - was that Sami was one of the best wrestlers in the world, but somehow kept coming up short. That's why it worked so well. It's the best story the WWE has told, beginning to end, in ages. Whether it was Dusty or HHH or Sami himself or the dude who used to write quips for Rachel Ray, it worked like gangbusters, and I hope like hell that someone important fully understands that and is working toward getting some semblance of it on Monday nights.

• Like 1

I honestly think a lot of the problem is just too much TV time. If they had to tell it on a 3 hour Raw and 2 hour smackdown, it would have been more compressed in all the wrong ways. We have a ton of haphazard Main Roster losing streaks to compare it to. There was never a sense, to me, that Sami was on a losing streak. He lost matches but they were matches he should have won or almost won. They were slip on a banana peel losses. He almost looked better in losing than he came in looking. 

Back to Neville, but I think the proper way to use him is like how Benoit was used. Regardless of how you feel about what the guy did, it's pretty amazing he was used as effectively as he was during his WWE stint. Neville could fill that spot.

Had a crazy thought.  You know how WWE gets all pissy about indy groups running on Mania weekend?  Why don't they run a big NXT show on Friday or Saturday before Mania?  NXT is basically a well produced super indy as it is, so they could really have their cake and eat it too with something like that.

• Like 1

Keep Riley out and stick him on pre shows only.  Graves is a significant upgrade.

RandomAct, they do NXT at WWE Axxess.  Unless you're talking a promoted show then yeah that would be great.  Pop it on the Network and it'd do wonders.  Question is:  Would you have a WWE star or two on there since they're already at Axxess?  

Had a crazy thought.  You know how WWE gets all pissy about indy groups running on Mania weekend?  Why don't they run a big NXT show on Friday or Saturday before Mania?  NXT is basically a well produced super indy as it is, so they could really have their cake and eat it too with something like that.

I think I read somewhere that giving the timing of the NXT Takeover shows the next one would be around Wrestlemania weekend.

Agreed with putting the Axxess stuff on the Network to show all matches tied to it