DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Going over this thread in the last few hours since the show ended, I think we've hit on a couple fundamental talking points:

1) NXT is so fucking good that we never, ever want anyone to get called up.

2) NXT is so fucking good that we want guys to actually get demoted there

3) NXT is so fucking good that it makes the main roster look like butt

4) NXT is so fucking good that there should probably be some sort of N(XT)WO angle to bring HHH back on TV, and give these guys the limelight on Raw

5) NXT is so fucking good that I'm afraid Vince will actually start paying attention to it, and it will get ruined like everything else ever

6) NXT is so fucking good

• Like 6

If you think about it, Owens' last vignette set up the turn by talking about all the guys that called up before him, ending with his friend Sami.

I work in TV, you usually put the focus in the middle unless its purposely unintentional, and the locker room shot with Sami and Kevin had Kevin dead center when Sami looked over at him.  Definitely on purpose.  At the time though I thought it was an accident and didn't really think anything about it.

Even Finn's entrance was foreshadowed by the announcers saying "you will see the unexpected" since none of us really thought he would do his cosplay entrances.

And it was brilliant because twice the NXT show TOLD YOU what was going to happen but in a way that most of us didn't pick up on it. 

Going over this thread in the last few hours since the show ended, I think we've hit on a couple fundamental talking points:

1) NXT is so fucking good that we never, ever want anyone to get called up.

2) NXT is so fucking good that we want guys to actually get demoted there

3) NXT is so fucking good that it makes the main roster look like butt

4) NXT is so fucking good that there should probably be some sort of N(XT)WO angle to bring HHH back on TV, and give these guys the limelight on Raw

5) NXT is so fucking good that I'm afraid Vince will actually start paying attention to it, and it will get ruined like everything else ever

6) NXT is so fucking good

You missed:

7)  I only watch the NXT specials.  As a result this is the best written organization ever and fuck you if you think the shows are boring sometimes.  You don't KNOW.

It was a great "payoff" show, but a lot of what made it so great was how good the build-up was beforehand. Would Bálor and Itami's win have been as good as it was without the road to it, starting with Itami's debut at the last takeover? Would Sasha Banks' great match been as effective if she hadn't so effectively been the chickenshit heel in the preceding weeks? Don't even get me started on Zayn's story. In terms of how good they are in the ring, Rollins and Cena aren't behind Zayn and Neville. But who over the age of Cena-fandom is going to care about that match on Sunday as much as an NXT viewer cared about Zayn/Neville?

Him calling Neville a motherfucker was the weirdest God damn thing. Hilarious but utterly bizarre.

Yeah. I only mention it because the fact it was a great match goes without saying, but it came out of nowhere.I think it added to the match, but then dude got bleeped like three more times. It was hilarious.

I can't wait for Owens/Zayn. Steen has been one of my favorite guys since I caught him on the first PWG Sells Out, and I can't wait to see what happens.

Never liked Steen before but decided to watch his debut here out of curiosity and thought it was pretty good stuff. He was over obviously and most all his spots looked impressive. CJ Parker with a near KO super stiff palm to the face was absolutely awesome then Owens fires back with the killer lariat. Great stuff there, solid debut.

Itami/Balor vs The Ascension ruled. Itami & Balor both came off excellent and the Ascension have shined on all the live specials iMO with this being their best. Balor's insanely over the top theatrical entrance was great, loved how much the crowd was in to it all. Amazing pop for Itami's GTS tease, great spot. Very good stuff all around.

Charlotte vs Sasha definitely delivered and lived up to my expectations/hopes for it. Charlotte continues to rule it every time on these shows, she comes off like a total star all the time. Sasha has come a long way from her indy days and it's great to see. She is the goods all around with just the best character work. Loved this match. About on par with Charlotte/Natalya, my two favorite NXT matches. With Charlotte winning, I hope they keep the title on her long enough to do Charlotte/Becky at the next takeover as I think that could be an incredible match if given the chance.

• Like 1

Don't even get me started on Zayn's story. In terms of how good they are in the ring, Rollins and Cena aren't behind Zayn and Neville. But who over the age of Cena-fandom is going to care about that match on Sunday as much as an NXT viewer cared about Zayn/Neville?

Isn't that more on the booking than Cena's and Rollins' actually ability?

So, does NXT have a writing team like the WWE main shows? Does Trips book the big picture stuff? Seth referred to Dusty as the "booker" of NXT during the Jericho podcast. I recall reading or hearing about another guy I've never heard of before being the mastermind behind NXT's brilliance. I'm wondering who is to blame for all of this wonderful, magnificent wrestling we're being blessed with. NXT is greatness. If this is what we have to look forward to when Vince, ahem, goes away then there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

I felt the morality conundrum for Sami with the title belt at the end of the match went on for a bit too long but, whatever, that match ruled so hard. Such an emotional roller coaster and it played out the way it ought to have. Steen turning was the right move too. He doesn't need to be built up. The vignettes, his debut squash, the back story with Zayn, and his ability will see him through more than fine.

Think of the incredible talent pool the WWE has to play with and the only fucking guy over is John Cena. SMDH.

Sami Zayn is easily the best of the bunch in 2014. I haven't seen enough Nakamura outside of the G1 and a few odd big show matches, but I'd put Sami ahead on his ability to tell stories and get the absolute best out of his opponents (and what a wide range of opponents).

Edit: Oooh, I forgot to mention that Corey Graves seemed hella nervy and had a few awkward moments but I think there's a lot of potential there. Riley would be okay if he wasn't intent on being the pompous, self-promoting heel who hasn't done a thing to justify it. They called the main event perfectly, pointing out Neville's attempt to take the crowd out of it and spoil the emotional charge Sami was getting from them.

Ah I see I did miss something big at the end of the show. I was trying to rewind because I missed Owen's match (that sounds weird saying that even though its not that Owen) and ended up just hitting exit when it wouldn't work. So much for a slow burn.

If USA wants them to do 3 hours on Monday, is it too much to ask for them to run 1 hour of NXT and then 2 hours of Raw? 

That's an amazing idea, except Vince would fuck up NXT because it's not sports entertainment enough for USA in his mind.

Incredible show and I have to echo the sentiments of others who are dreading any of these guys being called up.  How the hell can the same company that produces three hours of hot garbage that I could not give two shits about on Mondays make something this awesome?  There is serious need for an overhaul of the main product because the "minor league" is outdoing them in every way.

I've seen zero of his stuff.

HOW!?

As much wrestling as you watch & talk about & you've never seen anything by Kevin Steen, one of the most talked about Independent wrestlers in literally years? What bubble are you in, exactly? You're ON the internet!

I haven't watched indie wrestling except for sporadic Chikara in a decade. Only so many hours in the day.

If your recaps were shorter, you would have more time to watch more stuff. ;)

That's funny. My big take away from this note was the idea that when wrestling is done right, that's what it feels like and annoyance that Gregg didn't write six more paragraphs. He'll write twenty-seven paragraphs about the weekly TV but like four little ones about this?

EDIT: Not to blur lines, but I've only ever seen one Owens match, and that was the Jerry Lawler match and I saw it last week. Look, I have all this Jack Brisco and Fujinami and Volk Han to watch. There are priorities and US indies are very low on them.

EDIT2: I uh.. actually got a little misty during the celebration. I'm not afraid to admit that.

If USA wants them to do 3 hours on Monday, is it too much to ask for them to run 1 hour of NXT and then 2 hours of Raw? 

That's an amazing idea, except Vince would fuck up NXT because it's not sports entertainment enough for USA in his mind.

Incredible show and I have to echo the sentiments of others who are dreading any of these guys being called up.  How the hell can the same company that produces three hours of hot garbage that I could not give two shits about on Mondays make something this awesome?  There is serious need for an overhaul of the main product because the "minor league" is outdoing them in every way.

NXT is pretty unique in that it doesn't have to worry about ratings,advertising or even making money, so it's pretty much free to concentrate on wrestling.   WWE's too corporate now that they feel like they have to advertise a billion things and micromanage RAW to death.

• Like 2

Riley's commentary is weird... it's like he trying to heel, but he also wants to come across like a "real" sport PBP guy so it ends up being awkward and uncomfortable.

It reminds me of when Joe Buck got salty when Randy Moss did the mooning TD dance.

There were so many great little foreshadowing moments on this show with Owens, from the "You're not here to have a spot, you're here to take a spot" sign in the background during his part of the show open, to him being the last person in the ring, walking out of the shot when Zayn turned around to celebrate in the corner (which made me think the turn was happening right there). Oh, and the matches were really awesome too. I want to show everyone I know this show as an example of why wrestling is great.