DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

The balls wouldn't have made it onto the field unless they were cleared by the refs anyway.

The balls wouldn't have made it onto the field unless they were cleared by the refs anyway.

This is the part I think is weird. There's supposed to be a pregame check on this sort of thing, so at what point did it become clear to someone working with the NFL that there was a problem?

The story is now that no one noticed until the D'Qwell Jackson interception

After the pick - gave it to a Colts equipment guy and that person noticed that someone was off

From PFT

According to Bob Glauber of Newsday, the investigation into whether the Patriots intentionally deflated the footballs in play in Saturday’s AFC Championship game began when Jackson intercepted a Tom Brady pass in the second quarter.

Given that each team provides a dozen balls to game officials to use when it is on offense, the Colts might not have known anything was different about New England’s barring the turnover. Ostensibly, a slightly deflated ball would be easier to grip and throw in rainy, windy conditions, as they were playing in Sunday night.

When Jackson returned to the sidelines after his pick, he gave it to a member of the Colts equipment staff, who noticed it felt under-inflated.

The equipment man told coach Chuck Pagano, who relayed the information to General Manager Ryan Grigson, who contacted NFL director of football operations Mike Kensil, who told the officials on the field at halftime.

Brady quote from 2011.  This is some subconscious guilt rising here:

“But when Gronk scores – it was like his eighth touchdown of the year – he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball. I love that, because I like the deflated ball. But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes,” Brady said at the time.
  • Like 1