DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

APA suspended without pay for the rest of the season per the score.

That is what happens when you do not send information requested by the NFL and blow off the hearing.

D'oh.

No, this is what happens when the head of the NFL has his head so far up his ass, he doesn't know how to react.  This is a complete overreaction to the initial blowup.  AP explained why he "blew off" the hearing.  It was something new that the NFL made up, that no one else has had to do, and had no reason to be there in person.  The union agreed.  Also, any and all information that they needed, was public knowledge.  All things that were talked about in the NFl's statement were things that had been brought up before.  This is a case of the NFL overstepping their bounds and making up so much more.  They say that AP showed no remorse, which is a load of crap.  I saw a couple of interviews, most notably that day of the plea agreement, that AP stood at the podium, apologised and showed, what I took as, remorse for his actions.  He, and the mother, have always said that he in no way, shape or form was trying to harm his child.  He admitted waht he did was wrong.

Yes, I am a true thru Vikings fan.  This isn't about AP playing for us any more.  He is pretty much done with us.  I get that.  This is Goodell and his cronies fucking things up.  Again.  AP deserves to play.  Period.  I hope he sues the NFL and takes a shitload of money from them.

• Like 2

It's not just about Goodell's inconsistency.  It's how he goofs in explaining/justifying his choices.  He's so flaky, he basically wills himself into making a mistake. And then he can't self-correct without going overboard, but only after someone pointed out the mistake to him.

If he would stand up and say I'm the commissioner and I'll do what I want, I could respect the smug honesty at least.  But he's too daft even for that.

All commissioners have a God-type factor within their jobs.  But Goodell is the only one who took it literally so soon in his tenure.  At least David Stern was on his throne for 20 years before he deified himself.  And he saved the NBA from tape-delay Finals, for crying out loud.

Roger Goodell is just smart enough to get himself into trouble.  And that's a bad thing to be.

• Like 1

Besides Goodell's usual bullshit methodology, I don't see the problem.  This is the first time Peterson will be missing pay. Team performance issues aside, Peterson has gotten essentially a vacation with pay for beating his kid.  He ought to miss some game checks too. . . 

• Like 2

The "problem" is he's already been serving a suspension all this time. The case is closed, he cut a deal, and yet he's still being punished. The NFL's totally arbitrary system of penalties and discipline is insane. They have no justification to back up what they've been doing and sooner or later they're going to run into a judge who doesn't give two shits about the sportsball and toss out one of their punishments. Then the floodgates will be open.

Although as much as I can't stand the Ginger Dictator, this is just as much on the NFLPA. They're not quite as stupid and poorly run as the NHLPA but even being in the same ballpark as them should be cause for great concern. It's one thing to get steamrolled on financial matters but at some point they have to stop worrying about PR or whatever and take a stand with this assclown because he's clearly out of control (actually has been for years, it's just now the media is starting to call him on it).

Just give the guy his punishment all at once.  That was the issue with Ray Rice, too.  First it's two games, then it's the season after the public calls for blood.  Had Goodell simply went with 8 games + counseling the first time around, he could have walked away looking pretty good.

During the last bargaining session, the players fought for more money and less practices--but didn't consider lessening Goodell's powers.  Which was stupid.  Granted, beating your wife and child is beyond stupid, and Goodell has no control over anyone who chooses to do that sort of sick thing.  But DeMaurice Smith postures because that's really all he can do.  If he were to try to push for anything else, the Shield would simply point to the collective agreement and smile sardonically.  The players' best hope is that Goodell buries himself.  Which he likely will--he almost did it with this Rice debacle.

I'm more pissed at Kroenke for buying up land in Inglewood. Rams or Raiders, I'm betting that if the stadium is built there it goes to shit after 2 years. Here's hoping that the downtown LA field gets built.

Besides Goodell's usual bullshit methodology, I don't see the problem.  This is the first time Peterson will be missing pay. Team performance issues aside, Peterson has gotten essentially a vacation with pay for beating his kid.  He ought to miss some game checks too. . . 

He said out a long suspension already.  What should have happened was a fine equivalent to game checks for however many games you think he should be suspended for.  Unless the NFL really thinks he should be suspended for the whole year, which is BS under their conduct policy.

I don't like what Peterson did, either. Damn sure thought he should have faced some sort of punishment for it.

But it doesn't excuse Goodell's conduct, either. The guy has totally been making all of this up as he goes along. They had the arbitration hearing yesterday about Peterson's removal from the exempt list. . .it reportedly lasted all of about 30 minutes, which I'm assuming means that the arbitrator pimp-slapped Goodell on his bullshit, so he decided to throw a fit and this is the result.

And it'll be a cold day in hell before another player willingly agrees to go on the "Commissioner's Exempt" list, too.

Ok, fine. Fuck Peterson, he gets the punishment he gets. And fuck Goodell too, there needs to be another commish who levies the same punishment, but is, you know, consistent and thinks this shit through way ahead of time.

I don't know why this is surprising to anyone really. This is the organization that suspended Michael Vick for getting out of prison as a publicity stunt.

I mean, Michael Vick is a piece of shit but hey he did his time so what can you do. Well apparently what you can do is suspend him for basically no reason because it looked cool to the press.

If they want to do that sort of thing, at some point they need to lifetime ban someone to show they're "serious" but they're probably not prepared to go that far with it. (Not that it would really fit in the AP case, but lord knows they will have opportunities.)

For a parallel analogy, right now in england, a player was just released from prison for rape and is training w his old club (not signed) and people have resigned from the board and olympic star jessica ennis said she would want her name taken off a stand at the stadium if they sign him.

AD's "suspension" up to this point is almost irrelevant since he was still getting paid, he hasn't been punished yet.  So he needed to lose some game checks.  I personally don't agree with either one of them, he does deserve a suspension that includes not getting paid, but missing 14 games total is excessive.  I knew that no one was going to win, there is literally no solution that would have made everyone (NFL, NFLPA, AD, and fans) happy.  The whole Exempt List thing is what messed things up, but if he had been suspended back then, the NFLPA would have appealed that too.  If he had played, fans/advertisers would have been pissed.  Easiest solution is for NFL players to just not beat people, but that seems like the least likely outcome.

• Like 1

And you know if the Rams owner was like Jerry Jones, Joe would be screaming about how the guy needs to shut up and let the football people handle things.

• Like 1