DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Welp, there goes the idea that they did what they could.  As a Ravens fan I'm pretty fucking pissed.  Saw this at the bar and damn near blew a gasket.  Fucking inexcusable.

Fuck it, I'm done.  No Ravens, no football, nothing.  I'm going to stick with Orioles and pro wrestling.  Fuck this shit.

I will say that I laughed a maniacal laugh when on ESPNews they show a tweet saying the press conference is pointless while Goodell's laughing.  I think from Troy Aikman?  I laughed so hard that that, it was awesome seeing that getting shat on.

I'm just mad I was at work and couldn't set my DVR to record the entire debacle. If that press conference doesn't expose Goodell as the pandering corrupt little weasel that he is, I really don't know what will.  There were so many good moments but I particularly enjoyed Rachel Nichols taking not one but a couple home run swings at him - it's amazing how leaving the mothership of the Four Letter suddenly morphed her into an intelligent probing reporter.

Oh and if one soundbite should be played on a constant loop for the next two weeks, it's Rog's exchange with the TMZ guy:

Goodell: “I would have loved to have seen the video”
TMZ Reporter: “We got it with one phone call”

Goodell: "I don't know how you get your information."

TMZ, the website that sends guys to ambush celebrities while they walk to their car after eating dinner, has a better investigative unit than the National Football League. Think on that a second.
  • Like 1

People actually believe that they didn't see that video?  If by some crazy, outrageous, unexplainable chance they didn't see the video it is because they willfully didn't watch it.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the lies?  What do they have to gain from continually lying about this?  They can't honestly believe that people can't see through these poorly veiled lies.

It's so weird to see this mess as the second story behind ISIS. Incredible that Roger went up there, said nothing and expected it to all go away. He has balls, I'll give him that. Maybe it'll work.

Is it really having balls or just being too arrogant/stupid to not know any better.  

It is strange how the 4 letter network that was giving hand jobs to the NFL and Goddell are now burying him with the Outside the Lines report a good hour after the press conference

It is not the power and importance so much as the hubris which they are delivering to the public in this scandal.

Instead of realizing the problems in their Personal Conduct Policy and suspensions they are just hoping it eventually blows over.  They are ignoring the larger issues here which is why the public is angry.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the lies?  What do they have to gain from continually lying about this?  They can't honestly believe that people can't see through these poorly veiled lies.

Hubris manifested.  The Ravens dodged a bullet with Terrell Suggs' domestic issues, so they tried it again with Ray Rice.  Goodell thought the public would believe whatever he said because he represents the country's #1 sport.  Even now, they think they can get away with at least some of this mess.  Because they always have.

It's so weird to see this mess as the second story behind ISIS. Incredible that Roger went up there, said nothing and expected it to all go away. He has balls, I'll give him that. Maybe it'll work.

Is it really having balls or just being too arrogant/stupid to not know any better.  

It is strange how the 4 letter network that was giving hand jobs to the NFL and Goddell are now burying him with the Outside the Lines report a good hour after the press conference

OTL is apparently not part of the football industrial complex at Bristol, headed by Berman and the dozens of former players on the payroll.

"My dad punched me in the face when I was a kid..."

"I got hit with a belt so many times...it was a regular thing."

"Nothing wrong with being hit with a switch, happened to me tons too. I bled too."

I get these people are trying to defend Peterson, but honestly, all I can think is: Hey, maybe you should have pressed charges as a kid too.

Fuck it, I'm done.  No Ravens, no football, nothing.  I'm going to stick with Orioles and pro wrestling.  Fuck this shit.

The irony being that wrestling is FULL of people who have done far worse than punching their girlfriend, including first degree murder, rape, and child molestation, and have gotten away with it scott free.

• Like 2

The irony being that wrestling is FULL of people who have done far worse than punching their girlfriend, including first degree murder, rape, and child molestation, and have gotten away with it scott free.

Up until a couple years ago, NFL players got away with this stuff scott free as well.

I'm not going to defend pro wrestling's history, but, at present, there's no frigging way WWE would tolerate a main eventer doing half the shit many NFL guys do.

You get caught assaulting your girlfriend or arrested on gun charges, it's a big deal. As opposed to the NFL, where no one seems terribly bothered about it until TMZ release footage.

• Like 2

I'm not going to defend pro wrestling's history, but, at present, there's no frigging way WWE would tolerate a main eventer doing half the shit many NFL guys do.

You get caught assaulting your girlfriend or arrested on gun charges, it's a big deal. As opposed to the NFL, where no one seems terribly bothered about it until TMZ release footage.

I have to agree with you. The company is so allergic to that sort of press that they would drop the guy so fast it would make your head spin. I do think if the party in question was a talent that could draw money, they would bring him/her back after a spell on the indies.

• Like 1

Not to be 'that guy' but I am shocked of talk from the Vikings 'sources' that AD will never play for the Vikings again.  I am against physical punishment of children of any sort, let alone what AD did, but it seems like after what happened with Rice teams are now going the extreme other way.  All it would take is Peterson apologizing and swearing he learned from this (I realized he hasn't done this yet), agreeing to some counselling, donating some money to a charity and obviously not doing it again and he should be good to go.  I agree he should be suspended and I think he will be, but it seems that things have gone so far the other way that I dunno how this will end.