DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

Hillbilly Blood is a fun show on DA as well. It's basically two rednecks who Macguiver stuff like building a motorized scooter from a lawn mower engine and microwave parts for some cranky old woodsman.

But I echo the above statements. TNA is in a desperate need to really rebrand themselves to stand out. I too would go full on souther rasslin. Lots of brawls, guys getting piledrived on the floor. Basically stop screwing around and make James Storm the top guy he should have been two years ago.

The rot has already set in with Storm IMO.

WWE should've scooped up Storm and Roode years ago. They would've been my top two to poach.

Storm has a charisma about him that shows he could be something if handled correctly - like Stone Cold, but not TOO much. Wonder if he and Roode would have a future as a tag team in Japan if TNA stopped? Though TNA's never gonna stop, no one can manage to put a wooden stake in its heart.

Yeah I agree that Roode and Storm should have been picked up years ago. I think that Chris Harris/Braden Walker experience scared them away.

As far as rebranding, they've tried to twice already. I guarantee the first episode starts with Dixie.

Storm and Harris should've came over together - AMW was pretty big, as far as TNA goes, at the time.

I think it was a contract deal - Harris' contract expired before Storm's did. Still would've told him to bide his time until the two of them could come over.

Roode wasn't really much in the TNA grand scheme of things until he started tagging with Storm.

I would've signed Harris, stuck him in OVW and told him to lose weight while waiting for Storm to become available. AMW was a seriously underrated team. 

And LO FUCKING L at this shit. When this ship down, WWE needs to get the library and produce a TNA documentary for The Network. That would be some seriously funny shit. 

Hillbilly Blood is a fun show on DA as well. It's basically two rednecks who Macguiver stuff like building a motorized scooter from a lawn mower engine and microwave parts for some cranky old woodsman.

But I echo the above statements. TNA is in a desperate need to really rebrand themselves to stand out. I too would go full on souther rasslin. Lots of brawls, guys getting piledrived on the floor. Basically stop screwing around and make James Storm the top guy he should have been two years ago.

They could buy NWA Anarchy and show that weekly for a lot less money I imagine...

If there's room for TNA on television, I feel like CHIKARA should be on TV too. I think that a weekly show aired on Cartoon Network during Adult Swim is the best option for it.

Anyway, TNA does badly need to re-brand because that name is just terrible. It encapsulates everything that I hate about that Crash TV-era of the '90s. In fact, this company started as the shambling zombie of Crash TV-style television, and I was hoping Spike would finally give it a double-barreled headshot, but I guess not.

The only way to make this company watchable is to hire Jerry Lawler to book it '80s Memphis style. If you're going to base your show on soap-operatic intrigue with a few tasteless, lowest-common-denominator angles sprinkled in, at least do it in a really fun and entertaining way. 

Also, shoot at a studio where the crowd is darkened and you can hear angry Southerners yelling abuse at the heels. Retro is in, so go back to that dank studio wrestling look. 

Hopefully with the change to Destination America Mickie James will resign since their target audience would love her.

Mickie James is going to help TNA win the key ghost and swamp monster demographics?

(That seems to be what's on Destination America the past two days.  Broken up by frequent appearances from hillbillies.)

I shouldn't be so hard on Destination America.  Without them, I'd have had no idea there's a dragon living in my neck of the woods. 

Honest truth, if they got the guy that hosts United States of Bacon to be a color commentator, he could be a "next-gen" Don West. Dude is super enthusiastic about the bacon he gets to consume on that series, and if he could translate even a tenth of that enthusiasm for TNA that would automatically be a 1000% improvement over the current commentary situation.

In 2015 there will be NO REASON for TNA to still have Tenay and Taz as the main guys. I don't mind if Tenay pops in during X Division matches and International matches like he did in WCW, but he should not be the main guy and Taz should be nowhere near the booth. Mauro Ranallo appears to be doing too major right now. Bring him in. I'd love to see Don West come back as second man- but that's a pipe dream as I am sure QVC is paying him well and Don is most likely enjoying time away from pro wrestling. I think the best hiring would be done outside of pro wrestling at this point as TNA has burned a ton of bridges and people know what the real story is over there. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Matthews joined the team and made it a 3 man booth (with Taz and Tenay) come 2015 thus continuing the roll of bad commentary.

I saw the last Spike episode (I saw the first so I had to see the last). Some random thoughts:

Tommy Dreamer looked like a complete asshole in his shiny Twitter pants. Completely lame dad.

Taryn wins the KO title AND receives one of the biggest pops of the night? Good for her.

I don't like seeing DJ Z wrestle X style. The guy is a good and is a good heel and is entertaining, but every time I see him do something dangerous I think of him laying in the hospital bed begging fans for money while TNA sits on its ass and does nothing. After the shit TNA pulled with him- he'd be smart to NEVER climb a top rope again under any circumstance and if someone like Lowki wants to do some crazy innovative spot- point Lowki to another one of the guys on the roster.

TNA has killed Magnus and Kennedy dead. Such a shame for both, an even bigger case with Magnus.

Overall direction is pretty solid. Again, there are obvious tweaks I would make to the show, but overall the direction is pretty solid. I am not sure if TNA begin to purposely book lame duck shows, but its time to turn it up for 2015. The first show in Jan cannot just be an episode of Impact- it MUST be a SHOW! Perhaps Angle will be able to do one match for the show.  If I was booking- I'd have some fun!

Wolves vs. Storm/Abyss Tag Team Titles inside Six Sides of Steel

Samoa Joe/Hardys/Roode  vs. MVP/King/Lashley/Rhino in an elimination match

Kurt Angle vs. X Division champion Low Ki (not for the X title - just an exhibition- both guys shake hands after the match).

No DQ: Kim vs. Havok vs. Taryn II for the KO Title

2 hours with those 4 matches acting a tent poles would serve as a strong start for TNA's new era. For the first taping Velvet and Anderson should be kept as far away from the product as humanly possible. Let new viewers enjoy TNA for a few weeks AND THEN find out someone named Mr. Anderson is employed.