DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

Definitely a step backwards for TNA.  None of this solves TNA biggest problem which is lack of promotion/visibility.  I get the feeling all this is Papa Carter scaling back things so Dixie doesn't blow too much money on TNA, but keeping her away from Panda Energy where she can do some real damage.

Destination America is owned by Discovery Communications. Maybe TNA can hope that they do well enough to land on TLC? 

Or maybe Investigation Discovery can air a show where they explore how the hell TNA is still in business.

You, sir, deserve a like!

• Like 1

Here's how things stand in terms of what percentage of U.S. TV households can watch what:

USA Network (RAW) - 86.38%

Spike TV (TNA until now) - 85.50%

Syfy (SmackDown) - 85.33%

E! (Total Divas) - 84.48%

Fox Sports 1 (UFC) - 75.13%

UniMas (Lucha Underground) - 57.8%

Destination America (TNA in 2015) - 52.20%

ROH - 38.1%

El Rey (Lucha Underground) - 35%?

All the numbers except the final two are for August 2013. The ROH number is from October 2014, but includes future expansion that has not yet come into effect. The El Rey number was their target number that they announced earlier this year, but I don't know if they've reached it.

So yeah, quite the drop-off indeed. Though it should be pointed out that Destination America is technically available to more than 52%, but since it's a high-tier channel you'd have to pay extra to watch it.

Also, like in my case, Spike is on my tier of cable right now. Destination America is on a separate tier of channels I'd have to pay extra for, which of course I have no intention of doing. So even that 85-52 figure may be misleading. Technically, I CAN get Destination America, but I don't wanna.

On a more important level, why wouldn't they take this opportunity to rebrand? Surely nobody - and the Veeg means, nobody - thinks the name TNA Wrestling has any positive brand equity at this point, why not do a whole new thing? Go straight up Impact Wrestling, Wrestle American Revolution (because WAR is a great acronym), fucking whatever. Seems like a missed opportunity. The 1.1 million people that watch every single week won't care, and the few people who used to watch it associate it mostly with people that are no longer there. Your AJ Styles's and Jeff Jarretts. It has no positive brand. Start over.

• Like 4

On a more important level, why wouldn't they take this opportunity to rebrand? Surely nobody - and the Veeg means, nobody - thinks the name TNA Wrestling has any positive brand equity at this point, why not do a whole new thing? Go straight up Impact Wrestling, Wrestle American Revolution (because WAR is a great acronym), fucking whatever. Seems like a missed opportunity. The 1.1 million people that watch every single week won't care, and the few people who used to watch it associate it mostly with people that are no longer there. Your AJ Styles's and Jeff Jarretts. It has no positive brand. Start over.

How dare you insult the great name of WAR with TNA? Tenryu would guh punch you for that.

• Like 1