DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

All in all we had a really fun time. Had 6 of us there, including the GM. TTS worked really well for what we were doing. And it's tough to tell, but most of us were pretty engaged in what we were doing. I think the only time I would check out is if my wife would talk to me about something. Other than that, we all knew what we were doing. 

The other thing I liked was I have a dual monitor setup, so I have TTS on my left monitor and then my character sheet, websites, and notepad open on my right. So as others are taking their turn, I'm using Notepad to type out dialogue for myself so I can roleplay a little bit more for when it's my turn. 

ROLL20 SESSION 2

So the dude who was late and fell asleep last time, didn't bother to show up or mention that he wasn't going to show up. I don't know him and am not attached so I don't care if he's replaced. I'd prefer it honestly. The DM played his character. 

There are still instances where the other players just disappear for a moment and the DM or myself has to call for them. I don't know what that's about, but it can get annoying. Like we'll be discussing something and then all of a sudden...nothing. Then we'll say the player's name a couple times and they'll be like "Oh sorry, what?" It's not a deal breaker or anything, just an observation. I assume that it's much easier for players to just fuck off on their cell phones or in another web tab with no one there to see them. 

The good news is that the session was still a lot of fun. We're getting more comfortable as players talking to each other, and there was more interaction between us that I enjoyed. I kicked things off by explaining that my Paladin was going to hop in the pit with a hobgoblin in order to save his soul. It didn't work out. The other players were like "Not a good idea, but you do you." They were right, but I got to play with my character's morals, which I enjoyed. 

We fought a LOT of goblins. We also had our first major blunder. I listened to a door to see if I could hear anything. I rolled a 5 so nothing. I then said, this one sounds safe and we all walked in. 14 goblin creatures. I yelled retreat. We rolled initiative. We rolled sub 10s. The DM just rolled once for the goblins and got a 21. So ALL 14 goblins got to go first. I get why, but I'm not a big fan of all 14 get the one initiative. He'd numbered them and color coded them, so I thought he'd at least divide them into groups. So they go. One of the players get dropped. We're looking at TPK. Then the cleric raises that player just before my turn, so I'm like let's do that retreat thing, I disengage and leave. Of course I'm last in the order, so the players left in the room get dropped while I run away. I don't know this of course, so I keep running. I felt terrible, but they ended up stabilized and were made prisoners. Prisoners that I accidentally freed later. So it all worked out. Leveled up. Got some Divine SMite. We're going to fuck something up next week.

Between the two sessions, I'm certainly more positive about the system. I definitely feel lucky that out of all the people we could have gotten, we got a solid DM and only one flake. 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:27 PM, ctapley said:

@jaedmc all things considered that actually sounds like a decent enough intro to Roll20 Groups.  Nowhere near some of the horror stories I encountered back when I was more active there...

Seems like a decent amount of us are into tabletops and RPGs... would it be weird if we eventually tried to get a R20 or TS group thing going?  Anyone tried before?

That would be cool. In order to get comfortable with Roll20, I might run a one shot sometime and I might just ask you guys if you want to play it, instead of asking randoms.

• Thanks 1

I am curious how their centaurs and minotaurs will be different from Ravnica's, both of which are good. That's a ton of content. I am tempted even though I really shouldn't be buying more RP stuff right now. It's actually wild if you look at the backer numbers per tier what a high percentage of backers are in on the big one.

12 hours ago, jaedmc said:

If you like Greek Mythology and Dungeons and Dragons there's 60 hours left on this campaign book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcanumworlds/odyssey-of-the-dragonlords-5th-edition-adventure-b?ref=discovery_category_ending_soon

It'll go from 1st level to 15....which is a lot.

I've had it saved as I go back and forth on backing or not.  Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger...

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I've never Kickstarted anything, but that does look pretty awesome.

Have thus far backed more than 65 projects - IMO Kickstarter is generally pretty safe for tabletop games, items, etc.  My results have been MUCH more mixed when backing video/online games and electronics (usually smart devices) - backing from known entities has been successful; backing from startups has been a bust almost every time, either due to failure to deliver or the item being delivered and then company subsequently failing.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, Death From Above said:

Kickstarter gets used as a pre-order service for tabletop stuff a lot and has proven pretty reliable as such. I think the fact so many projects blow wildly past the minimum number speaks to an underserved market.

Agree it is a solid mechanism for that, assuming you self-manage expectations around delivery (assume whatever projected delivery date the KS lists is probably 9 months earlier than the reality and you will be fine).

I do find myself frustrated when the item is available for purchase mass market prior to delivery of the item to backers and when the item invariably ends up bring priced less than the KS.  I am fine when the item is priced less than the KS claimed would be MSRP, but dang it frustrates me when it is available in retail for cheaper than my backer commitment (ignoring KS exclusives).

And apologies for hijacking the thread into a KS backer thread ...

I just published a TTRPG based on the El Santo movies of the 60s and 70s. So if you ever wanted to be a luchador, solve crimes, and punch Draculas, you can now do so with the aid of two six sided dice: https://jrgoldb.itch.io/sangre-y-mascaras

I think it's pretty good and I priced it as cheap as I could, and I would love for my friends to check it out. Let me know what you think!

Night 3 of playing D&D over TTS is tonight. The previous two weeks have been good, but I'm not going to lie, I'd much rather be hanging out in someone's game room or dining room or living room or whatever. Having two monitors, it's too easy for me to get bored and just start watching YouTube videos or reading stuff on my other monitor.

The other problem, and this may be something my friend the DM needs to adjust, is that it's felt way too easy. I love playing Gloomhaven and feeling like scenarios are completed by the skin of our teeth. There's been zero risk so far. Everything we've done we've been able to just cruise through. I told my buddy to ramp up the difficulty, but he's a little hesitant to do that.

1 hour ago, JRGoldman said:

Craig, have you ever considered playing a different system? Lamentations of the Flame Princess gives the same DnD feel but has a much higher initial difficulty/mortality rate.

I haven't, no. This is mainly my friend's deal. He bought a bunch of D&D 5e stuff and while he, another friend, and myself are still local, we stopped playing D&D together and with a couple other people around here, and played board games and other stuff instead.

I always felt bad for partially hijacking the D&D stuff with board games, so around a month or so ago I said we should play D&D on Tabletop Simulator instead of beating our heads against the wall in DotA every other night. I think my friend likes DM'ing and he has the stuff for it, I just wanted him to have the opportunity to do it. Plus, it lets the three of us that still live here play D&D with our 4 other friends who have moved to various other states. 

I just don't think he would dig playing a different system at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I'll at least keep it in mind if D&D starts getting stale for all of us.

Edited by Craig H

5 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

Craig, have you ever considered playing a different system? Lamentations of the Flame Princess gives the same DnD feel but has a much higher initial difficulty/mortality rate.

Actually played LotFP once - basically grimdark, Chthulu adjacent campaign, with a bit of silliness and much TPK.  Was quite fun as a one off...

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I haven't, no. This is mainly my friend's deal. He bought a bunch of D&D 5e stuff and while he, another friend, and myself are still local, we stopped playing D&D together and with a couple other people around here, and played board games and other stuff instead.

I always felt bad for partially hijacking the D&D stuff with board games, so around a month or so ago I said we should play D&D on Tabletop Simulator instead of beating our heads against the wall in DotA every other night. I think my friend likes DM'ing and he has the stuff for it, I just wanted him to have the opportunity to do it. Plus, it lets the three of us that still live here play D&D with our 4 other friends who have moved to various other states. 

I just don't think he would dig playing a different system at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I'll at least keep it in mind if D&D starts getting stale for all of us.

Tell him if he ever gets bored and wants to try something different, look for the module Death Frost Doom, which is good for a short campaign or long one shot. It's really fun, especially if the players don't know what they are in for, and is not really all that difficult to convert to 5E if someone wanted to.

• Thanks 1

Roll20 Session 3

We got a new player to replace the guy who fell asleep and then no showed. The new player has never played with strangers on Roll20 before, but he fit in perfectly. Easily the best session so far. We're starting to get some of that banter going as everyone gets comfortable. We also started upping the tactics as we demolished a shit ton of goblins. 

I personally had a great session.

I freed the Kobold's dragon. When we returned it to them, I asked to be referred to as Otto Brutalhammer, Breaker of Chains, Freer of Dragons. 

In the big battle against he Goblins, I waited to hit my first and only Divine Smite on the hobgoblin warlord. I rolled a 20 and basically wiped the "main bad guy" in one horrific shot. Then I walked up to the last remaining goblin shaman, and told him "Mine is a divine cause, repent and I will grant thee mercy."

I ended up converting that goblin to my god. 

Playing a paladin is dope. I might play one all the time from here on out.

Then, after all that awesome shit, I failed a stupid dex save and fell 50 feet. It wiped my HP, and I nearly died waiting for the other characters to save me. I've fallen like 5 times in this campaign so far. I suck at climbing.

My first game as a Roll20 DM.

I'm going to try and run a game. It's a one shot that I got from a book from Kobold Press. I plan on running the game multiple times to feel things out so if the time doesn't work for you or I don't pick your application, I'll probably get to you next time.. If you're interested in playing here's where you can apply(I think)

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/161629/hell-comes-a-glitterin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Roll20 Session 3

We got a new player to replace the guy who fell asleep and then no showed. The new player has never played with strangers on Roll20 before, but he fit in perfectly. Easily the best session so far. We're starting to get some of that banter going as everyone gets comfortable. We also started upping the tactics as we demolished a shit ton of goblins. 

I personally had a great session.

I freed the Kobold's dragon. When we returned it to them, I asked to be referred to as Otto Brutalhammer, Breaker of Chains, Freer of Dragons. 

In the big battle against he Goblins, I waited to hit my first and only Divine Smite on the hobgoblin warlord. I rolled a 20 and basically wiped the "main bad guy" in one horrific shot. Then I walked up to the last remaining goblin shaman, and told him "Mine is a divine cause, repent and I will grant thee mercy."

I ended up converting that goblin to my god. 

Playing a paladin is dope. I might play one all the time from here on out.

Then, after all that awesome shit, I failed a stupid dex save and fell 50 feet. It wiped my HP, and I nearly died waiting for the other characters to save me. I've fallen like 5 times in this campaign so far. I suck at climbing.

My first game as a Roll20 DM.

I'm going to try and run a game. It's a one shot that I got from a book from Kobold Press. I plan on running the game multiple times to feel things out so if the time doesn't work for you or I don't pick your application, I'll probably get to you next time.. If you're interested in playing here's where you can apply(I think)

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/161629/hell-comes-a-glitterin

I'll sign up later tonight.