DVDVR Message Board

The Board Game Thread

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/117975/impact-city-roller-derby

Basically, it's a high strategy/low dice rolling game that plays true to flat track roller derby in that you score points by lapping blockers, planning your moves is important (you want to pass on the straightaway, because changing lanes on the curves is hard). Blockers move slow, Jammers can move fast but the faster they go, the more likely they are to wipe out). 

Rules are here:

http://www.gamesalute.com/Springboard/ICRD/Impact-City-Roller-Derby-Rules.pdf

Game comes with meeple skaters, Impact Miniatures is making a line of pewter miniatures for the game.

For those of you that are excited about Munchkin Adventure Time, Cryptozoic, which puts out the WoW card game and a bunch of other big games has announced that they are releasing the game "Card Wars" in November, which is the game that Jake plays that was like a crazy version of Magic: The Gathering. 

Regarding M:tG, for those interested, spoilers have started for the upcoming Theros set and the artwork thus far is gorgeous. Oh, and there's an instant costing RG that destroys target artifact or enchantment and does 2 damage to that permanent's controller. That is stupid good.

So now that I am fully recovered from Gencon, I figured I'd write a little about what I bought and some of the other games I played. I ended up leaving with three games. The first I bought was Dungeon Roll, which I bought simply because on Thursday, you got the game and first expansion for $15 instead of 25. It's basically a simple push you luck dice game combined with a dungeon crawl. It was pretty fun with a bigger group. 

I also purchased The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet, which is all kinds of awesome. You draft cards around the table from four types of cards in order to create a planet. All drafting is public, so the entire game is basically conspiring with your friends to fuck over your other friends. Really cute and fun to play with kids, but a surprisingly deep experience. 

The last game I bought was Trains. It's basically Ticket to Ride combined with Dominion. It was tremendous with 4 people, but I'm interested to see how it plays with a smaller group. 

I also played Mice and Mystics for the first time, and decided it would be my all time favorite game if they could keep all the mechanics but make it about Ninja Turtles. I tried Netrunner, but it didn't grab me. Same with the Firefly game, which managed to be both needlessly complicated and thin. 

I bought WAAAAY to much stuff in the auction room and consignment room, but that is neither here nor there.

For new stuff, I bought...

CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY: This game is sick, in every sense of the word. And, if you want, you can dlownload it for free, print it out and play it.

GEEK OUT: this is like a cross between Beat the Geeks, Trivial Pursuit and name that tune. Roll a dice for your category. You end up with questions like, "Name four X-Men", or "Name 2 TV series starring William Shatner". Then, you bid against each other. "I can name 5 X-Men." "I can name SIX X-Men." When the bidding neds, you prove you know that many. If you do, you get a point. If you fail, you get -2 points. Great fun.

ANDROID: NETRUNNER CREATION & CONTROL boxed exapnsion, and Opening Moves booster pack: I still have all my old Netrunner CCG cards, and am desperately trying to figure out how I can use them in the game. Pretty good reboot of a pretty good game.

And I bought WAAAY too much X-Wing stuff.... 3 new B-Wings, 3 new TIE Bombers, the "Moldy Crow", and an Imperial shuttle. They announced CAPITAL SHIPS (!!!!) for next year, with models of the two rebel ships - the Blockade Runner, and the Rebel Transport. Here's to hoping for STAR DESTROYERS.

• 2 weeks later...

Broke out Decent, a game that I really really wish I played more of so I'd know if it was any good or not.

My son may not know all the details that go into it, but he killed his first Beastman today. Very proud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know I'm way behind the craze, but Cards Against Humanity is a blast.  

The only problem I see is that with a group of 5 it only took us a couple hours to get through the original deck and it becomes way less interesting once you've heard all the answers. 

Also my friends suck and don't appreciate my sense of humor, but I guess I shouldn't hold that against the game.

I thought this thread was on the old board. Now I have an epic rant to go on.

Tabletop Season 3 was picked up, and since the money got to the point that they will also launch a new RPG based show. Which will be awesome.

If I knew this was here a couple months ago, I'd have mentioned International Table Top Day, which I took part of at the Fantasy Shop in St. Charles. My non-Table Top introduction to Ticket to Ride (I won my first game by a point. Thank you longest train) and Betrayal at the House on the Hill (Both games were great) and my first live game of Catan and Pandemic

Pandemic probably gave me my best gaming moment: Beating, Live, on its highest difficulty with total strangers. The draws we got were uncanny. in the first 3 go arounds, we only got one Epidemic... In Lima. If you play the game, you realize how huge that is. By the time we drew a second outbreak, we had Black cured AND wiped out. Next two Epidemics in Black. We cure and wipe out Blue. We never draw anything other then Blue and Black. We beat the game with only 4 outbreaks.... All in Lima, which we declared not worth focusing on due to being the least important spot on the board. Lucky as Shit.

Oh, and I.m starting to get into Magic on the IPad. Big fan of Green, White, Black, and Red.... Fuck Blue in the Ear.

Also, we could play Cards Against Humanity online as a board sometime. There site connects to servers, with options for adding in different little extra decks.

I haven't picked it up yet but there's a game on steam called table top simulator it looks like a perfect tool for this type of thing. I have Ticket to Ride on steam also got it as a birthday present. 

I know Wil's busy with the new show but I wish he would give some idea what system they will be running the RPG in I have a couple friends that will be seeing PnP rpg for the first time via Table Top RPG and Id like to know what to expect question wise.

Tabletop Season 3 was picked up, and since the money got to the point that they will also launch a new RPG based show. Which will be awesome.

I was so sad that I was dirt poor when ilovetabletop was going on. There were some very reasonable things that I would have gladly kicked in money for.

I know he said Late August for the tabletop season but you are right - I am spacing on when he said the RPG show was going to come out

Broke out Decent, a game that I really really wish I played more of so I'd know if it was any good or not.

My son may not know all the details that go into it, but he killed his first Beastman today. Very proud.

I played that once.  Had fun.  Just remember a scenario with a dragon that ended pretty badly.