DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

House of X #3 was just a comic, albeit a good one.

Marvel Comics 1000 was a flawed and watery experiment with some really phenomenal individual pages. 

Give me spoilers to both, please?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Give me spoilers to both, please?

Sorry, had a busy day/night. Let' s see

House of X: Not really a ton to see here. Very straightforward narrative with two major scenes. First is Scott getting a team together to stop the Mother Mold creation as that'd lead to Nimrod. Magneto and Charles talk him up. They can't take krakoa pieces with them in case they're caught. They head to space, have to drop on the scientists, who had been putting safeguards into Mother Mold, etc. Nightcrawler confronts Karima who says that the mutants were the ones to drive her to this with their escalation. Mutants make inroads but then male scientist guy who we have no reason to care about blows himself and maybe the blackbird up? That's the end of the issue, his sacrifice. The B plot is Sabertooth on trial and Emma and the Cuckoos coming in to say he has immunity and pissing off the humans. Very scene chewing stuff.

Marvel 1000: each page represents a year. The Al Ewing main story running through this by focusing on a number of pages  is Jimmy Woo tracking down the mystery of the Three X's who, through this comic eventually become the Enclave (example: Namora gets a page for her debut and it has her talking to Jimmy Woo about something she experienced having to do with the main mystery). Each page is a theme "Spider-Man debuted in 1963. The Deadpool movie came out in...." with that character the focus. Most of the non-plot pages are someone asking the hero why they're a hero or that theme presented in some other way. Meanwhile, Woo (later joined by Night Thrasher and Blue Marvel) is traking down the Crusader/Black Raider mask and its history through the ages. It all really doesn't come together as some new hero has the mask and has been listening to all of these podcasts/interviews/etc. with the heroes to help work out what it means to be a hero. Meanwhile, the enclave has moved forward with an Adam-IV (or whatever). The whole thing would have held together so much better if they had some of their current writers who got pages focus more on the overall plot with their pages. Maybe if they had introduced the theme at the beginning better, too? You get it by the end but it doesn't feel genuine.

Edited by Matt D
  • Thanks 2

Talked to Fabian Nicieza for a good ten min at Dragon Con today. Super charming guy. We talked a little about Valiant and more about T-Bolts, especially 100 and Genis's road to death. Apparently he and Kurt asked Breevort to pick a team of half OG Bolts and half newbies, and Breevort threw in Genis as a wild card, a heavy hitter both writers had helped to define who was untrustworthy in a v different way than Speed Demon might be. Then a year later, corporate demanded he be killed as definitively as possible immediately and that was where the decision to make him a threat to the universe was made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Marvel Comics #1000 was how I found out Sunspot was dead. Although Bobby died in a comic which featured a character that already had died, So your mileage may vary. 

The entire War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men tie-in really shows how bad Marvel editorial can be sometimes, IMO.  The 3 issues are supposed to take place inbetween issues and before Rahne dies.  So, somehow both Scott and Alex grow full beards and then shave them off in a short amount of time.

Re: House of X.

We've sort of hit the "Ok, yeah, this doesn't count. Let's just get through the motions so we can get to the next timeline." phase. I'm sure Hickman is well aware of that and will invert our expectations somehow, but he doesn't do it with this issue. I guess what I'm saying is that he's not writing this like Final Crisis. He's laying all the tracks instead of doing a "good parts only" version, despite how Morrison-y this can be.

• Like 1

I got around to reading Marvel #1000 last night and I agree with most of what Matt D said about it. I appreciate what Ewing was attempting to do but when it came down to it I never found myself enthralled with it. That said I enjoyed it for the most part and there were plenty of pages that made me smile and think "I love comics". 

RE: POX/HOX I'm really intrigued with what Hickman is doing and really want to see what's next, I agree with the idea that these books are setting the stage for something. I've been pulled right in by these books though and am eager for the new monthly titles to start. 

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #28 written by Nick Spencer and drawn by Kev Walker in Who Run The World? Boomerang is captured by the female Syndicate comprised of Beetle, White Rabbit, Scorpia, Electro, Trapstr and Lady Octopus. Spider-Man pursues. The resolution was conveniently done but there’s nice character work in the issue.