DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Those X-men books look interesting. That cover to X-men 1 I assume isn't the actual team though because if it is that would be so very Summers family focused sans Logan.

Apocalypse in Excalibur is weird.

Is it me or is it sounding like they maybe finally split Mutantkind from the main 616?

Besides Hickman, should I be paying attention to any of those writers.  Really don't recognize any of the other names.  

I feel like Marvel's writing lineup took a hit post-Secret Wars.  I miss the days when Gillen/Carey/Rememder were writing the X books.  X books haven't had great creative teams since.

Tini Howard, Vita Ayala, and Leah Williams (the last two announced for unnamed wave 2 books) are great. Brisson has been writing X-Books for a few years now and is good at it, all said. Hill gets a lot of hype, but I find him hit or miss personally. See also Duggan. Ben Percy is terrific and wrote easily the best Green Arrow run in years for Rebirth. 

Also, the previous run had a lot of acclaimed/talented creators on it for Disassembled and Rosenberg is not 100% at corporate stuff yet, but has an incredible talent. 

Basically it's all talent who are relatively hot, whether that be in a currently trending or up and coming way. And honestly, I don't think the X-Books have been failing due to a lack of good creative teams since the period you mentioned either. They've had Eisner winning creators on them at times (Lemire notably) but have definitely been suffering from corporate dictates over creative direction for a while now. 

Also consider, Gillen and Remender kind of made their mainstream names on those runs. Gillen moreso for Young Avengers, but Remender especially went from kinda hot hand indie guy to superstar on the back of his X-Force run. None of the guys you mentioned were A-List talent at the time (and as much as I'd love his work, I'd argue Carey never really has been)

Finally finished War of Realms with #6, Thor #14-15, & Omega. Overall I dug the event a good deal even if I missed some of bigger stuff happening in the side books. I really like where it ended and what it set up to come with Thor, Jane, and Loki.

• Like 1

@Eivion:

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #7, LGY #40 by regular writer Christos Gage and a different artist, Lan Medina. Superior Spider-Man helps the West Coast Avengers with Frost Giants in a War of the Realms tie-in. This was a terrific issue with lol moments in SpOck’s assessment of those Avengers and how he annoys all but one of them. Otto uses something from his day as Doctor Octopus in 2012’s Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth. Good nod by Gage even though I don’t like that story. Gwenpool is well used calling out tie-in tropes. I liked Lan’s illustrations, I’d welcome him back. The ongoing Spidey title I most look forward to.

Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #8, LGY #41 by regular writer Christos Gage and a different artist, Lan Medina. The Superior Spider-Man with the West Coast Avengers battle Frost Giants alongside characters making guest appearances specifically the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. SpOck vexes nearly everyone in the process. I liked this issue but the first half of this tie-in was the superior section. Gwenpool’s commentary on crossovers is on point.

• Like 1

If you want to read the best Superior Spider-Man stories, seek out Christopher Yost. Nobody writes SpOck as well as Yost does. Christopher Yost needs to be talked up more having written Scarlet Spider with Kaine Parker, Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team-Up and New Warriors (2014).

Edited by The Natural

Good on Nick Spencer for the explanation having read the issue. When I saw the cover in the solicits, I looked forward to it as the Superior Foes of Spider-Man was a terrific series.

Edited by The Natural

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, I bought it in print today because I figured it would be easier to read that way.

Hide contents

Too many people suggesting Xavier is really The Maker.

Yeah, that's not happening. For one, he's in Future Foundation in the months to come as the main baddie there jousting with the Power kids and what not so they would have protected him better. For two, Hickman wouldn't do his seminal X-Men story and then bring in a character so detached from the mythos to drive things. Not from the onset, at least. 

Maybe, but

I can't imagine it's a coincidence that his new costume is such an obvious variant on The Maker.

One of my few major complaints about Hickman is the way he utterly ignored everything Ultimate Reed did in-between Hickman leaving the book and Secret Wars.