DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Let's just hope this doesn't turn out the same way as the Disney Comics and Crossgen.

The Crossgen stuff wasn't too bad, but should have been OGNs with an extra 20-50 pages.

I suspect Marvel never wanted Disney Comics, but Disney so badly wanted to keep things in house regardless of common sense.

Rich J is claiming Avengers AI will end in April, which is no surprise to anyone. It had a huge uphill battle to get noticed, and just straight up wasn't working creatively.

Much less likely is his claim it will be replaced on the schedule by "Hank Pym: Ant-Man." I really think that's misinformation or disinformation. The character has never supported a solo title and they aren't gonna want him as Ant-Man in about 18 months anyway.

If they have to run it up the flagpole, we need Gage, Slott or Waid back so we can get the best possible 12 issues out of my favorite Avenger. (Seeley will do in a pinch, I suppose.)

Rumours about the Spider-Man titles:

Okay, welcome to rumourville. We have competing rumours at work here, as the Dire Straits song has it “two men say they’re Jesus, one of them’s gotta be wrong”.

And so it is with what we are to expect from Marvel’s Spider-Man comics, according to rumours reaching Bleeding Cool from informed contacts.

Informed contacts can be wrong, of course. And in this case, one of them has to be.

There’s one we’ve run, that Superior Spider-Man will be cancelled, and Spider-Man will receive a Marvel NOW relaunch in April, with Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos.

Then there are two more that came alongside this morning’s other Marvel rumours.

One, that Dan Slott moves over to an Amazing Spider-Man twice-a-month relaunch, but that Superior Spider-Man will somehow continue, once a month, written by Peter David.

The other is that Dan Slott stays on Superior Spider-Man, one a month, freeing Slott to write other books like Silver Surfer and more. But Matt Fraction takes over Superior Spider-Man with Salvador LaRocca. If there is any validity to these, the idea of having both Amazing and Superior Spider-Man books must be attractive to Marvel, especially considering the success that Superior has brought them. Could they have both Peter and Otto Spider-Men? Or could one of them be Miles Morales? Or Miguel O’Hara?I don’t have a clue. But I have been enjoying Superior Spider-Man rather a lot of late, it would be sad to see him go.

Credit: bleedingcool.com

Since The Superior Spider-Man started, I always thought it would end before The Amazing Spider-Man 2 so it's Peter Parker in mind and body again. Going on opinions I've seen, most are fans of Otto Octavius as The Superior Spider-Man. I'm guessing we'll get a relaunch of The Amazing Spider-Man and The Superior Spider-Man gets his own title. It will be interesting to see how they perform sales wise. I'd like Christopher Yost to get The Superior Spider-Man book, he's done a great job writing the character in Avenging Spider-Man.

Three word: Clone Wars 3 (2?  5?  64?)

note-for-note retelling of Clone Wars, with clones of Otto running loose instead of Peter's clones.

If that works, maybe they can retcon Sin's Past so Gwen didn't have children with Norman Osborne.  Instead,... um.... Otto had children with Norman.

Yeah, that doesn't quite work either, does it?  Who cares?  If's better than what they went with.  How would that even work?  Who clares?  Just explain it as timey-wimey..... errr... super science and move on.

Would the outrage towards the Gwen retcon have been worse or less if Peter had been revealed as the father of the children (which was JMS' original intention)?

super psyched for MiracleMan #1 to be released today! one of my absolute favorite series, and i can't wait to see it presented much better than Eclipse did!

got mixed up on my weeks. apparently this is the 15th instead. grrr.

Quick (All-New) X-Factor #1 thoughts:

1) Gambit is probably the best choice for an initial viewpoint character given the choices so far, but I tend to prefer not having phonetic accents in narration boxes. And it's about time Logan figured out he was a POOR choice for school staff.

2) I remembered that Morrison had retconned Polaris into being Magneto's daughter after all, but I had completely failed to recognize that this makes her Quicksilver's half-sister until he brought it up.

3) Fiction being what it is, I find it impossible to believe that the corporate sponsor is truly benevolent. I hope PAD proves me wrong (and my instinct as a fan is to trust his instincts as a writer), but something just feels ominous and foreshadowy when Snow refers to X-Factor's job as "serving the whims of a company that specializes in helping people."

All in all, it's an enjoyable read, but something just feels off that I can't put my finger on.

Well, there's a new Iron Fist series coming soon for anyone that's been clamoring for that.

Gotta get it up in time to get cancelled for low sales right before his Netflix series starts.

Hell, they have enough time to get it up, cancel it for low sales, and launch another new series when it debuts.