DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Finally all caught up on the House/Powers of X books.

Jesus.

I haven't been this excited about the X-Men in years(decades?) Like I fully plan on buying the whole lineup of books next month.

I will say that the Nightcrawler/Wolverine interaction choked me up a lot, and while on the surface what happened after didn't "mean anything" I think it actually did. Having that scene wasn't just for jerking a tear or two. I think it actually evokes a counter to what Professor X is doing, and certainly makes the ceremony with Storm more unsettling.

Is the mind the same as the soul? 

Also "I'm so proud of you" is the greatest line they could have given Apocalypse. I could hear the fucking Lost creepy cliffhanger music when I was reading those pages.

Also also Hickman's Mr. Sinister!

Now that I'm all caught up on House of X all I can say is Hickman is just really good at shredding a reader's hope in one issue and then turns around the next issue to sweve you in an absolutely incredible way.

James

I'll probably end up reading the Hickman X-men run once it is finished up as that is basically how I read all of Hickman's stuff, but I've read maybe a dozen issues of various X-men comics in my life. Is my lack of a background gonna be a problem, or do they do a decent job of getting people caught up on what's important early on?

That was my favorite part of this weeks POX, loved his talk with Xavier and was saddened by 

Spoiler

the lack of Hickman's Mr Sinister, with him being on the cover I was expecting lots of wonderful Sinister ness and maybe some background (or is it forwardground if it actually happens in the future?) into his breeding of mutants in the future. I really just want Hickman to write a Sinister book now

For those who wanted the Daredevil: Born Again Artist's Edition, but couldn't justify the money or space, the Artisan Edition dropped this week and it's basically got all the art goods you want, just at a larger than usual but not original page art size for $50 USD instead of the $100-150 the full size Artist Edition's go for. Big recommendation. Seeing the overlay processes is particularly fun.

Hox spoiler:

14 people in that meeting and not one is gonna stand up and say "in light of research on the effects of long-term solitary confinement, maybe putting the most prolific murderer in the history of the X-Men into a state of conscious immobilization in a deep hole is a bad fucking idea because he's just gonna be crazier."

5 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Hox spoiler:

Hide contents

14 people in that meeting and not one is gonna stand up and say "in light of research on the effects of long-term solitary confinement, maybe putting the most prolific murderer in the history of the X-Men into a state of conscious immobilization in a deep hole is a bad fucking idea because he's just gonna be crazier."

I think it was telling that the Red King wasn't there yet?

I'm so fucking stoked for the future of the X-Men. I think this has to be the greatest reboot of a line of comics ever. I'm so excited for the possibilities from here, and I don't feel like I lost anything - only gained.

It just created all of these Stakes and ideological fights between the character. What I always loved about the X-Men was just how deep the mythologies of the mutants went, and how exciting it was to speculate about the mysteries involving them. Who is Logan? What's the deal with the Summer's Brothers? What's Gambit's secret? I always felt like everyone had an agenda other than being a superhero and solving the superhero problem. It felt like at anytime any mutant could suddenly become super important. Like that time Boomer became a big deal in the Sabretooth story forever ago.

Now it feels like we're back to a real hierarchical structures and ideological battles.

Like there's no way these cats can co-exist forever. And there are so many story possibilities one can run from the crazy shit Hickman created, and it doesn't feel solely dependent on him plotting everything. There's enough to inspire other writers so that everyone's on the same page, in the same world, and creating new exciting stories. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, The Natural said:

The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #11 was very eventful. Have to see how it plays out in the last issue.

The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #11 written by Christos Gage and drawn by Mike Hawthorne. Spider-Norman Osborn has the upper hand on Otto Octavius, the Superior Spider-Man hurting those he cares for. Otto thinks there's only one way he can stop Spider-Norman Osborn. This was a very newsworthy issue. I don't normally use spoiler tags when I review comic books but need to here. 

Otto contacts Mephisto to make a deal, return him as Doctor Octopus. What's interesting is Mephisto will make him free from the mental troubles that Otto claimed made him the way he was as Doc Ock if indeed those exist? I like that idea by Christos Gage. Have to see how it plays out in the final issue. Will Otto Octavius' turn to villainy stick?

Edited by The Natural

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #30 written by Nick Spencer and illustrated by Ryan Ottley. Spider-Man takes on Norman Osborn, the latter as Carnage in a tie-in to Absolute Carnage. Only things going for it is Ottley's return on art and Kindred talking about the effect Norman had on him and Peter Parker.